Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Rites - Rip Pope John Paul

Last Rites

It looks like the Pope is about to pass on.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 04-01-2005 at 08:12 AM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    err... you mean Last Rites????
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

Yeah my roommate told me that. At least he's willing to accept death. Shows strength.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Yep, he'll likely be gone within a couple of days.

I'm curious to see the entire thing afterwards - the black/white smoke stuff and all those goodies.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

bone crusher
    they are not the last rites any more

It is called the annointing of the sick and is given to anyone with a health problem who wants the spiritual strength that it offers

Has he been a good pope? Or is the sheep mentality so strong that nobody has questioned his work as pope.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    I vote sheep mentality (but I'm an outsider).
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

I'm Jewish, but I think he was a good Pope. He stuck
    by his guns and refused to "relax" religious rules, when
    that would have been easy to do.

And, now long ago, remember the work he did and
    words in spoke in support of eastern European countries
    trying to break away from Russia.

His influence on the Baltics was astounding. He gave Poles the resolve they needed, and Lithuanians, ardently Catholic also, found a lot of strength in this Pope (I witnessed it personally).

He did a lot of good. He also refused to budge despite all common sense on social and health issues, and that is unforgivable, imo. Tradition and religion are not carved in stone- both have a degree of fluidity and built in mechanisms for interpretations and growth which are readily apparent throughout history. Sticking to one's guns is a double edged sword- it shows confidence, determination, faith, but it also shows contempt for inevitable social changes and awareness, and a stubborness in addressing said changes. In the case of social and health issues humans had dealt with during his papacy his stubbornness and lack of proactive thinking has meant death for millions. Sticking to one's guns isn't aways a good thing.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

He deserves credit for what he did to pull Eastern Europe through the cold war and out from behind the Iron Curtain. But for the rest, he's the symbolization of many things that I ardently disagree with. The way he stood for the things he stood for was admirable, even if I don't think the things he stood for were.

twilomike - you summed up my thoughts exactly.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Quote Originally Posted by TwiloMike
    In the case of social and health issues humans had dealt with during his papacy his stubbornness and lack of proactive thinking has meant death for millions. Sticking to one's guns isn't aways a good thing.
    Wait. Which millions?

Wait. Which millions?
    Africans, as well as many others, who had died or are dying of AIDS, for example. The Pope's refusal to back common sense contraception education and distribution is what I was thinking about. The problem isn't confined to Africa, obviously.

The Pope's refusal to back common sense contraception education and distribution is what I was thinking about.

So because the Pope doesn't back contraceptive eductation and distribution, he's responsible for the deaths of millions of AIDS. That's quite a leap of logic....

Hulking bulking bruiser Minotaur's Avatar
    I wish the Pope a speedy journey to the next life, where he can explain to a loving God why he called an entire group of people "evil", whose only 'sin' is loving differently.

He is a hateful hypocrite who alleges to be the vicar of Christ, the representative of One who has unconditional love for all people. And this person who is supposed to be Christ's representative on Earth can say a whole group of people are evil?

Lasci che egli vada al diavolo.

I'm waiting for the anti-matter explosion over Rome.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

So because the Pope doesn't back contraceptive eductation and distribution, he's responsible for the deaths of millions of AIDS. That's quite a leap of logic....
    Considering that he singlehandedly had the power to allow and encourage education and availability of contraception (Catholic missions are everywhere in the developing world and are highly influential) he bears a lot of responsibility for keeping people undereducated, perpetuating the stigma of using contraception, and means for protection practically unavailable.
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 04-01-2005 at 10:50 AM.

I believe I heard that this was the third time that he received the "last rites" so far.

Quote Originally Posted by galileo
    I believe I heard that this was the third time that he received the "last rites" so far.
    They're, more technically speaking, not death rites, they are "very sick and possibly going to die" rights.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Considering that he singlehandedly had the power to allow and encourage education and availability of contraception (Catholic missions are everywhere in the developing world and are highly influential) he bears a lot of responsibility for keeping people undereducated, perpetuating the stigma of using contraception, and means for protection practically unavailable.

And the Catholic missions are there to help people, voluntarily. If you want to blame Catholic missions for the AIDS related deaths in 3rd world contries because of inaction, then you are the blame for people dying in Rwanda due to your inaction, and I'm to blame for deaths in Sudan because I didn't do anything about it.

If the Pope had been running around Africa injecting people with HIV, then I would say yes, he is responsible for the deaths of AIDS infected peoples of 3rd world countries.

But people have HIV (in most cases) because they had sex with someone else who had the virus. Not because the Pope didn't give them a condom.

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I'm waiting for the anti-matter explosion over Rome.
    And the Illuminatis shall rise from the ashes.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

I think that's a rather simplified look at things shooter.

if the church says using condoms are a sin that will land you in hell, if you see yourself as a religious person - you are not going to transgress agains the church to protect yourself from aids.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Hulking bulking bruiser Minotaur's Avatar
    Supporters of the Pope claim he is the last word on matters of faith and life and sexuality and should be listened to and respected. Yet he is not responsible when he IS listened to and his pronouncements are followed if it's not convenient. You cannot have it both ways, though it seems to be a Catholic trait to want one's cake and eat it too.

MACHINE
    The pope gave me a condom, that's the only reason why I don't have AIDS.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Quote Originally Posted by Tryska
    if the church says using condoms are a sin that will land you in hell, if you see yourself as a religious person - you are not going to transgress agains the church to protect yourself from aids.
    It's been a while since I've been to catholic church, but I'm pretty sure they also don't condone premarital sex. So are you saying a religous person would defy the church and have sex outside of marriage, but not use a condom because the pope said not to?