The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Once you go DB you never go back...

I switched up from flat bench to DB press tonight to get over a plateu and WOW never been worked so hard. Although.. i was disappointed with how much weight i got up.. When i work flat bench i usually can do 3 x 6-8 reps with about 185 and gettin up to about 2-3 x 205. But when i threw weight on the dumbells i knew it would be dramatically less especially till my stabalizers cought up. But i only managed to put up 65lbs. (total of 130) thats dramatically lower than my flat bench.. you guys think that is normal? will this go up significantly once my stabalizers get stronger?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You should be up to 75s within a couple of weeks.

Flat bench I can go 270x6

Dumbells flat I can only go 105x6

Of course youll improve over time, but I wouldnt eliminate barbell.

I hit barbell first, then hit dumbells, then some flys, then aframes

and i got my brother to join the gym and he started at 30lb dumbells. Now, 3 months later he is pushing 65's. Hes not on no special diet, nor takes protein, just does what he does.
    Last edited by JamesBOMB; 04-01-2005 at 07:36 PM.
    6' 2" 22years old
    05' 232lbs, 06' summer 200lbs, Currently 226lbs
    FB 345x1 Seated MP 225x5

I honestly dont know, some people have more trouble with DB's than others.......I use 90 lb db for flat bench, yet i only put up 185 on flat i think? I havent done BB in so long becuase I much prefer DB's

Yea, i didnt want to totally elimante BB flat bench.. and thats what i was gonna ask next.. where should i fit that in? I was thinking of switching between DB and BB every month or so? What do you guys think? I shouldnt be doing both DB and BB in the same workout should i?

My dumbells are even weaker compared to my barbells (partly because when I do BB it's with powerlifter form and with DB it's with really strict form where I kind of do a mix between bench and flies). It's DB Bench, who cares how much you can lift?

well i wasnt so much worried about how much i could lift as i was whether i was gettin the full benifit of the weight.

I think switching back and forth is a very bad idea, if you want to incorporate both just use both. But by switching every four weeks you wont make the kind of progress you could if you continued with the same routine. Progress is the key, it doesnt matter how much you can lift but it does matter that you can lift more next week than you did this week.
    Last edited by smalls; 04-01-2005 at 07:55 PM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

That sounds good then, I just always hear people suggesting to switch between DB and BB when you hit a plat. so do you honestly think i should put both into the same workout? I just pictured that as being overkill. Because before tonight I already did BB flat and flys. Do you think BB, DB, and flys would be too much?

Also what worries me is if I start doing both BB and DB in the same workout that i will have a real hard time if i ever hit another plat .. b/c i wont have anything significant to change up to start gainging again.

why dont you do db's like until you get up to 80's and then switch back to regular bench. I did something like this to get over a plat. It worked i made a significant improvement on my bb bench w/out touching a bb. Then when you start to stagnate again switch back to db's and set another goal. Thats my future plan.

I go through phases.

yea thats kinda what i was thinking... Just now that some of you guys suggested it .. im debating whether or not to do both DB and BB. But im scared of gettin to a plat. and not being able to get out of it.

just switch it up. do one one day, another another day, or both. variety is good. i realized this recently and i'm really harping on it

i do ~2 bench workouts a week, one bb, one db. i've seen some good gains.
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

thats a good idea, thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jotosuds
    just switch it up. do one one day, another another day, or both. variety is good. i realized this recently and i'm really harping on it
    I have to completey disagree. Variety is not good, making progress is good. If switching it up helps you to continue to add weight week in and week out then it's good. But for most people it will just minize the gains on each on instead of maximizing the gains on one bench movement.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

DId you not see what I said?

I do 4 sets of barbell
    4 sets of dumbell
    4sets of flies
    and 4 sets of a frames for my chest workout

DO not go 4 weeks dumbell 4 week barbell you will go NOWHERE.

Excersize your chest once a week and eat properly and you will make gains. not rocket science
    6' 2" 22years old
    05' 232lbs, 06' summer 200lbs, Currently 226lbs
    FB 345x1 Seated MP 225x5

I'm with JamesBOMB on this one. When bulking I'll do either Flat BB bench and Incline DB Bench on the same day, or I'll do Incline BB bench and Flat DB bench on the same day. Then I'll add some other exercises like flyes, pec dec, hammerstrength incline, or cable crossovers.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    when you refer to flat bb bench, are you just saying doing a bench exercise with a ez bb? is it the same as a normal bench press exercise? db presses i find help out alot with your stabalizers, doing these makes my chest day easier everyweek.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

Quote Originally Posted by ancom41
    I switched up from flat bench to DB press tonight to get over a plateu and WOW never been worked so hard. Although.. i was disappointed with how much weight i got up.. When i work flat bench i usually can do 3 x 6-8 reps with about 185 and gettin up to about 2-3 x 205. But when i threw weight on the dumbells i knew it would be dramatically less especially till my stabalizers cought up. But i only managed to put up 65lbs. (total of 130) thats dramatically lower than my flat bench.. you guys think that is normal? will this go up significantly once my stabalizers get stronger?
    I'm close to getting my full set (8) of 70's, which I do as a 3rd or fourth set in my dumbell benching workout. I don't think I can do as much as you on a barbell, though. I'm switching to barbell soon after 7 months on dumbells, and from some of the practicing I've done, I'd say that I could do 205 maybe 2 times. I think that once you get used to the dumbells, your numbers will shoot up to the 80's quickly.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Disciple#1
    Current Chest day: Flat BB press + Incline DB press + Dips, works well for me
    You never know what you can do, until you try to do more than you can.

Straight outta Compton
    Quote Originally Posted by ancom41
    Yea, i didnt want to totally elimante BB flat bench.. and thats what i was gonna ask next.. where should i fit that in? I was thinking of switching between DB and BB every month or so? What do you guys think? I shouldnt be doing both DB and BB in the same workout should i?
    Have one workout where you start with BB frist then do DB's, then on the next workout alternate and start with the DB's. Of course the second excersize would be harder and would require lesser wieght than normal.

Thats what I do with Flat BB and Incline BB anyway.
    6'5" 200lbs

lol.. so many different suggestions... its hard to get an idea of what will be the most effective. After looking at what everyone said and comparing and contrasting.. I think i will do the following... Since everyone agrees that both DB and BB press are valuable chest excercises, I will not eliminate either... BUT.. Like some of you said I wont switch around every workout or every 4 weeks for that matter. Since I'm haveing fun with my DB press right now, and it works well, I will do this till my stabalizers grow, my strentgh increases, and until i stop seeing progress. Once i stop seeing progress I will switch to BB to get over the plat. and work the same till I hit another plat and etc. How does that sound to everyone?

Also another question. Currently my chest workouts contain flys and DB press with 4 sets for each. Would you guys recommend adding another excercise? perhaps an incline or decline? Normally I would just try it and see what gives me the best gains.. but I started lifting about a month ago after a year break.. and so right now im getting newbie gains regardless of what i do... i could be overtraining like mad and i would still be getting gains right now... so its hard to judge what is gonna be the most effective in the future.

Banned
    Whatever is most effective for you.