The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

speed bench with DB's?

i really think i need to do some speed bench work. also, i really dont want to quit doing my db presses which i wont be able to do if i add close grip speed bench (actually, i quit doing db presses when i got my rack, but it has been just to get used to the movement of a barbell). well, my chest/shoulders seem to be by far the limiting factors (which is odd because ive been using db's solely until a month ago when my rack arrived) my triceps are a major strength, in that if i can get the weight a few inches off my chest i can finish the job from there most of the time. well anyway, would speed db bench be too rough on my rotator cuffs? or would it be just as easy on my RC's as close grip speed bench (i would think that the close grip would ease them a bit as it creates more tricep focus).

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It sounds like you've totally missed the point of speed work.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I agree with powerman dl. Part of the reason powerlifters do speed benching with the barbell, is because in competition they bench with a barbell. So what's the point of speed benching with dumb bells? However, as assistance, dumb bell benching isnt such a bad idea.

BTW, if your bench form is good... your shoulders and chest will not be limiting factors in getting the weight off your chest. And if your form is good, this probably means you have weak lats. If you're form is good and your lats are strong, then the weight is simply too heavy for you.
    Last edited by debussy; 04-04-2005 at 12:15 AM.

my lats are still pretty weak, but im working on that and they are getting better pretty quickly. actually, in my workout after i posted this i didnt seem to have much of a problem at all, in my bench workout i managed to rep out the same weights for double the reps in many cases.

also, i am probably never going to be a very competetive pl'er and taking db's seriously does seem like it would have good functional strength benefits.

though personally as i see it, the bar allows for more muscle recruitment due to being able to put heavier weights on and allows the triceps much more involvement. should i just ditch my db presses? and do typical speed work?

it all depends on your goals. you want a big barbell bench? then stick with speed benching with a barbell. if you wanna do bodybuilding... keep the dumbbells. seems like they work your chest really well.
    Last edited by debussy; 04-04-2005 at 10:03 PM.