The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

How long should I jump rope for my warmup to increase blood flow?

I jump roped for 5 minutes straight and my quads and feet really hurt at the end of the jump rope warmup lol. Do I just have really weak legs or something? My bloodflow felt pretty good, but I don't know if I should jump rope for longer or shorter.

(Just to let you know, I DID do a search on this and didn't find the answer I was looking for.)
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    For cardio I try to go for at least 10 min.

Just work your way up to longer durations.

Built, yes, I'm warming up for lifting. I've been told that there are two types of warmups that should be performed before doing working sets of weightlifting...and those are: the warmup that increases bloodflow (e.g. jump rope), and then there is the warmup that gets the CNS ready for heavy weight (doing the actual exercise but with lighter weight).

So, I wanted to know how long to do my bloodflow warmup (jump rope).

Also, if this was a leg day today, I feel like my legs would've been a bit tired out for squatting and stuff. I guess I just need to work my way up to longer durations like Captain said.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-04-2005 at 09:01 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Trying to learn on the fly
    mabye do a form of cardio that is less intense. i usually go for a pretty slow run or ride a bike for 3-5 minutes. something to get the blood flowing, but not to get my heart rate too high or get myself out of breath

So, maybe like do a nice slow-paced jog around my neigborhood for 5 minutes or something?
    Lifting Journal

I absolutely never do any kind of warmup for lifting except lifting.

For squats, I'll do 15 squats with just the bar before I do my work sets.

Sometimes I'll do some walking lunges, unweighted, before I do my leg work if I want to make sure my quads are ready and full of blood.

I don't do any cardio before I lift. I know some folks like to, but I'd keep it to 3-5 minutes of fast walking at the most.

But then, I lift like a girl.

Which is okay, 'cause I'm a middle-aged woman.

Alright, I'll try some slow jogging or something tomorrow when I lift.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I absolutely never do any kind of warmup for lifting except lifting.

For squats, I'll do 15 squats with just the bar before I do my work sets.

Sometimes I'll do some walking lunges, unweighted, before I do my leg work if I want to make sure my quads are ready and full of blood.

I don't do any cardio before I lift. I know some folks like to, but I'd keep it to 3-5 minutes of fast walking at the most.

But then, I lift like a girl.

Which is okay, 'cause I'm a middle-aged woman.
    :withstupi

I also lift like a girl...but I am a girl...and I bet, lb for lb, Ms. Built, that we are lifting as much as the big boyz here...lol.
    Women who look at men like chests and biceps. Women who touch men like asses. Start squatting.

"It`s not a grudge. I just don`t like you." - my friend Scott.

"Dude, yer beyond a tool. Yer the whole damn shed."
    -me

Stats:
    Female, 5'0, 127ish lbs (this is a damn lie...closer to 133.)
    Current Max Lifts:
    Deadlift- 245 x 1
    RDL - 185 x 5 x 5
    Squat - 155 x 3
    Bench - 105 x 2

yeah just jog or something. jumping rope is pretty hard if you don't do it frequently

From Mark McDougal
    Mistake #4: General Warm Ups- The nervous system picks up patterns, and running on the treadmill, or pedal pushing for 5-10min to "get the blood flowing" or whatever rationale you use does nothing to prepare the C.N.S. for a highly specific task like benching, squatting, rows or any other exercise for that matter (other than running or biking). So do your body a favor and don't waste your glycogen (stored energy) on something that isn't going to help your body complete the task at hand. If you're going to squat, warm up by squatting, stay away from the treadmill. In fact, walk a wide path around it as I've seen those things leach glycogen from people's livers osmoticaly from three feet away. You wouldn't warm up your car for a trip to the grocery store by hopping on the highway would you?
    http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/o.../na_warmup.htm

So, if I don't do jump rope or jog before a lifting session, what do I do to increase blood flow? I'm confused.
    Lifting Journal

Usually i'm on the court shooting around until i am beginning to sweat; then i'll go into my warm up sets and so on.

Or sometimes i do 3 to 4 sets of 30 counts jump ropes (do your roping and count to 30 and not 30 rotations); then move onto warm up sets.

But summer is approaching, so by the time you get out of the car and into the gym.. you should already be sweating... so just skip the cardio.

heres what i do, one set which i refer to as the 'warm-up set' (lol, logically...) in this set i do 12 reps of something which feels pretty light and will get me to the point where i think about what im doing, but am not really straining or trying much at all. now as fast as i can i load the bar up to a heavier weight for another set, one of 8 reps in which i get to the point where not only do i focus, but i begin to put effort into say the last 1-2 reps (nothing serious, but the bar doesnt just float up). i call this my 'primer set' because its to get my CNS primed for heavy work, while the warm up set was to get my mind into lifting and to get blood flowing to the general muscles used in the movement. then i start lowering reps/adding weight/and taking 3 min breaks for my work sets.

5 minutes of cardio warmup is completely sufficient for most activities. However, it is largely unnecessary if there is also enough activity specific progressive warmup.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I disagree with that article posted by Bizatch. I spend 10 minutes before every workout on the stationary bike just on the default setting, no added resistance or anything. Then, I do a progressive warmup for my main lift with 10%, 30%, 60%, 90%, and then 3 working sets at 100%. 5-10 mins on a stationary bike is not going to deplete glycogen stores, come on. If this were the case we should all lay in bed all day and be carried into the gym on a stretcher, because surely walking around the locker room or up the stairs to the weight room is going to ruin our workout. I completely advocate progressive warmup but I'd rather bring my HR up a little riding the bike or jumping rope rather than add more and more warmup sets on top of what I'm already doing. Rest/Sleep, what you've eaten prior in the day, and your level of activity throughout the day are all more important factors than not risking burning those 90 calories pre-workout on the treadmill.

"5-10 mins on a stationary bike is not going to deplete glycogen stores, come on."

The article never says it does, so I don't know who you're arguing with.

Another thing is that when you're lifting in the 1-10 rep range, I wouldn't warm up with over 6 reps. The article I linked has more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizatch
    "5-10 mins on a stationary bike is not going to deplete glycogen stores, come on."

The article never says it does, so I don't know who you're arguing with.

Another thing is that when you're lifting in the 1-10 rep range, I wouldn't warm up with over 6 reps. The article I linked has more information.
    Well, Bizatch, the article DOES say that it will "waste your glycogen (stored energy) on something that isn't going to help your body complete the task at hand."

Also, I understand that for warmups doing 6 or less reps and warming up near my 1RM will get my CNS ready for some heavy weight, but before I do those 6-rep warmup sets, do I just do 1 or 2 sets of 10-20 reps to increase bloodflow instead of the jump roping or jogging?

And how would you recommend warming up for a brutal set of 20-rep Squats? The article mentions warming up for strength, hypertrophy, and endurance. But I find 20-rep Squats to be a combination of strength and endurance...so how would I warmup?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-05-2005 at 05:23 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Well, Bizatch, the article DOES say that it will "waste your glycogen (stored energy) on something that isn't going to help your body complete the task at hand."
    This is irrelevant to what I posted.

Also, I understand that for warmups doing 6 or less reps and warming up near my 1RM will get my CNS ready for some heavy weight, but before I do those 6-rep warmup sets, do I just do 1 or 2 sets of 10-20 reps to increase bloodflow instead of the jump roping or jogging?
    No, but you could read the article if you couldn't figure out how to warm-up for various types of training.

And how would you recommend warming up for a brutal set of 20-rep Squats? The article mentions warming up for strength, hypertrophy, and endurance. But I find 20-rep Squats to be a combination of strength and endurance...so how would I warmup?
    I would just do like a triple with that weight and then start it, or you could just do a set of like 14 with real light weight. The 20 rep squats are tough, but you really don't need to warm-up much for sets above 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizatch
    No, but you could read the article if you couldn't figure out how to warm-up for various types of training.
    So, what you're saying is that it's unneccessary to increase your bloodflow to warmup for a lifting session? Or will doing the low-rep warmup sets increase bloodflow enough?
    Lifting Journal

but growing daily!
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes

I jump for 5 straight minutes before and after my workouts. I doubt theres any significant negative effect unless your an elite athlete or very anal retentive.

Works for me. I find my daily 5k run has significantly reduced the difficulty of my skipping also but then my runs are very painful in themselves heh

Zygote

not to be lazy, but could anyone quickly explain why you shouldnt warm up w/ over 6 reps?

k... lactic acid, i dont buy it. i really dont think that unless im really putting out effort on the last few reps i would build up lactic acid so much.
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 04-05-2005 at 03:50 PM.