Thread: Cleans

Cleans

We do cleans in our weightlifting class, and right now I'm having some problems.

My form is okay. Sometimes I don't always get my elbows parallel with the floor, that's probably my biggest problem.

Or that's what I thought. After doing a search on cleans and watching some of the videos, I noticed everybody else goes down A LOT farther then me and those that are in my weightlifting class at school. When I do cleans I usually only squat down about a quarter of the way to catch the bar, but in the videos I've seen the lifter goes down far enough that it looks like their but is touching the floor.

Right now I weigh about 155 and my max clean is about 170 (When I started lifting again in january it was 115). So, I guess what I'm asking is, would I be able to max at alot more weight if went down farther like they do in videos, or would I just be maxing less but be stronger anyways because my form was crappy in the beginning? If I use a lot less weight and work on form, will I be able to clean a lot more when I
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Banned
    i go down all the way like in the video. i feel more balanced when i do, and it's harder to come up so i feel i'm working more. i'm not that experienced in cleans though.

Wannabebig Member
    i never go down all the way when i clean - only like a fourth of the way. just make sure when you clean that your feet are spread a little bit farther than shoulder width and that you jump so you can get that bar on your shoulders.

Wannabebig Member
    I drop down pretty far so I can be more comforatable with more weight, because as the weight gets higher, we all know how much harder it gets to get it up, so I make dropping deep a habit.

Hey Hazerboy, what school do you go to? I'm from Missouri too.
    Stats:
    17 yrs old
    180 lbs
    5'10"

Maxes :
    Squat:500
    Bench: 250
    Clean:245
    Dead Lift: 515

Running PRs (without wind):
    40m: 4.39
    100m: 10.86 FAT::::10.62 Handtime

North Kansas City High School. The only sports I play right now are wrestling and weightlifting, and some golf here and there. We have Oak Park (ranked nationaly in the top ten, I think they may be #1 or 2) and some other tough schools in our wrestling district though, so it's pretty tough.

I did cleans today I tried dropping down pretty low. Felt a lot like I was doing front squats.

The answer is yes, you'll be able to handle more weight using a full clean as opposed to a power clean. That is, once you learn the form.

However, the full clean is a lot harder to learn than a power clean, and unless you've got somebody to teach you, I wouldn't bother with it.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

You Think I'm Playin'? phatstauff27's Avatar
    hey 159753-
    bringin the bar up to ur shoulders makes it harder to do more weight...u should pretty much fall under the bar n catch it low u should go down as far as u can. gettin back up can be a challenge sometimes but front squats work that out

Wannabebig Member
    Try doing front ATG or paralell front squats to help your body catch the weight at the bottom. Also remember it takes alot of time to do them properly. Cleans are very hard and like some of the people already said, its alot of skill and technique, not a test of maximum strength so dont muscle everything out. And cant forget about the core...
    Last edited by asgdrew; 03-29-2005 at 08:53 AM.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Like Powerman said, sounds like you have been doing power cleans (semi-squat on the catch) versus a full clean (Oly-style squat on the catch). On the full clean you can theoretically handle more weight b/c you don't have to get the bar up as high before you drop under it, but it IS harder to master. Both lifts require proper form and technique as well as lots of practice with someone knowledgeable who can provide quality critique. You see a lot of people doing them wrong or half-assed as a result...

Keep working on them and you'll improve

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

I can't get used to the full clean either, and I even tried doing Clean&Jerks with no practice right off the bat, the only thing I got out of it was a migraine. I'm trying to work on Oly cleans too but the value of Powercleans should not be discounted because it's still a good lift just less dynamic of a movement.

but is it worth it to master full cleans in the long run? (i.e. creates a lot of explosiveness, helps other core lifts)

You Think I'm Playin'? phatstauff27's Avatar
    i had trouble at first with them n so i did hang cleans to learn to get under the weight. its easier cuz the weight is already up n u can concentrate on just startin the upward motion n gettin under it

Quote Originally Posted by IceRgrrl
    Like Powerman said, sounds like you have been doing power cleans (semi-squat on the catch) versus a full clean (Oly-style squat on the catch). On the full clean you can theoretically handle more weight b/c you don't have to get the bar up as high before you drop under it, but it IS harder to master. Both lifts require proper form and technique as well as lots of practice with someone knowledgeable who can provide quality critique. You see a lot of people doing them wrong or half-assed as a result...

Keep working on them and you'll improve
    This is a mirage and/or hallucination right? Dear lord almighty. Back AND answering questions!!!

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy
    but is it worth it to master full cleans in the long run? (i.e. creates a lot of explosiveness, helps other core lifts)
    Not necessarily. If you're just doing it for the benefits of explosiveness, you can get away with clean-grip and snatch-grip pulls.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    It's always good to have a good proper form, with that in mind, you should go up on your max. It will take you longer to get that, but atleast you will be doing the exercise correctly and you should not be prone to injuring yourself.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

I'm pretty sure the last two posts didn't address Hazerboy's question..

I think he's asking if learning and doing olympic cleans are going to be more beneficial than just sticking with powercleans. The way I feel is that you are still using a burst of strength to move the weight, you are just taking some of the quads and glutes out of it. You could very easily compliment powercleans with box jumps, speed squats, or some other leg based plyometric movement and still probably get great results. I am in your same boat, I want to do olympic C&J but I don't know if it's worth investing the time via trial and error since I have no one giving me pointers or coaching me making sure I'm doing it right.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    This is a mirage and/or hallucination right? Dear lord almighty. Back AND answering questions!!!
    Hee hee...not a mirage, simply a guest appearance...I do what I can, when I come up for air every once in awhile (translation: "swamped and procrastinating ")

As for what kind of cleans you do, it depends on your goals, your committment to learning the proper form (it takes awhile), and as AKraut pointed out, the other resources you have in terms of auxiliary exercises and proper coaching.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

i personally have given up on full cleans. i dont have anyone to teach me, and to be honest, i find them much too taxing on me as a whole to do with proper form. i have a much easier (and more fun) time doing power cleans. i do the drop down seperatley with the bar on my back (basically an atf speed squat, except i do just let myself fall into the hole). i find this to be much more enjoyable, less taxing on me, and my actual ability to drop under when its time to do it for real seems like it is increasing (dont know for how long, i imagine at some point the seperate drop unders wont help me as much)

I personally love clean + press and hang cleans.

Wannabebig Member
    In my opinion, if you're going to be doing a power clean with poor form, you may as well just do high pulls.

Thanks.

I think my form is pretty good. As I mentioned earlier, my only real problem seems to be that my elbows drop from parallel every once and awhile, but I asked my coach and he says everythig else looks okay.

Thanks Akraut, that was the answer I was looking for. :-p