The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Am I just weak?

Am I just weak?

Hi. I'm currently about 5'5 1/2, weighing about 122 pounds. I'm 14 years old as well. I aim for mass, so I do less reps with more weight. However, I can only bench about 80 or so pounds 3 times before i'm blown out. I've always been off and on with weight lifting, but now i'm wanting to get serious. I started more eating habits to go with my routine as well.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Also, am I doing a bit too much cardio? I'm a basketball player as well, and I practice for and hour and 30 mins too 2 hours daily, is that to much?

just eat more and train intensely....mass will come

god you are so young...only if I had started at your age...

Ok, thanks for your advice. When I look around here, people are saying that they bench like, 250 lbs easily or so, and it makes me die a little inside.

no your not weak you are a normal 14 y/o kid. Even if you dont pick up a weight for the next 4 years you are going to see increases in size and strength. So if you eat right and lift you will get even bigger.

eh i was benchin more or less what you were at that age. and by more or less i mean less. it took me awhile to get a bench at my house but about 10 months after getting one, i went from benching 75x5-160x7. Its no great accomplishment, but if you actually stick to a routine, you'll get there much faster than i did, and when your at the age where people are benching 250lbs easily, you'll be benching 350, easily.
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

in other words, keep it up, little man. You're definitely bigger than 99% of 14 year olds. Hell, i knew some 15 year olds back in high school that couldnt even bench the bar.
    Eat right, and a LOT of it.. at that age, your metabolism is so damn high you could eat a horse every day and still make great gains.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Wow, thank you so much for all the help. I know I can always turn to WBB for help.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Well keep in mind that most of those people have been training longer than you and are probably older than you. Don't worry about it. I remember when I could only lift 65 lbs. on the Bench Press for like 15 reps. I soon got past it and have been gaining. My 1 rep max is now around 130 lbs. (rough estimate) and I still have many things to accomplish. I used to be sad that I was weak too, but you get over it and realize that the only way to get strong and bigger is to just do it and eat a lot. I need to start eating more myself.

Just keep training and eating and resting. I started lifting seriously when I was a little bit past the age of 15. So, you've got a head start on most people. The mass/strength will come... don't worry.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-05-2005 at 10:15 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    just eat more and train intensely....mass will come

god you are so young...only if I had started at your age...

exactly how i feel when i see kids 2-3 years younger than me repping more than i can max.

Banned
    Man from kid to kid here...just eat right...lift heavy and hard...Start this early and dude...by the time we are 17 or 18 we will be blowing them outta the water eh? Anyway thought I would post...I do the same with alot of weight and low reps I lose attention span after like 10...

BTW I'm going for 230 tonight wish me luck guys...
    Last edited by Gutz981; 04-06-2005 at 02:31 PM.

I'm also one of those guys who are small-framed. It was like I was ment to be born as a weak little **** and was suppose to take my role in society as the guy who takes **** from anyone and not do anything about it.

I'm 16, 5'7 125 lbs. Last time I benched I only did 85 lbs. 3 sets of 8, that's pretty low my goal is to bench 100 pounds above my bodyweight. It's also a pain in the ass for me to, I got school, and work and driving school so my schedule is a bit busy. Averaging about 4-6 hours of sleep on weekdays.

I'm 16 too, and i was a little weak *ss before too. Not that i'm hyooge now or anything haha. I was 5'9 and weighed 135lbs though. I'm over 150lbs now and rising. My lifts have went up A TON and i've only been lifting seriously for not even 3 months yet. I remember when i started seriously, my max bench was 125lbs. My max now is around 160lbs or so.

The key is to EAT, a ton, and then some more. I gained SO fast at first when i was eating a ton. Then finally my gains/weight drastically slowed down and kinda stopped, because i wasn't eating enough. I'm finally eating more and i'm already gaining again. So eat. You'll get bigger.