The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

ok read this about benchpress

ok im 5'10 145 pounds.. my friend is 5'10 166 pounds.. ok I can benchpress max around 80 pounds only.. he can do 235........... .... WTF is wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Girn; 04-07-2005 at 10:31 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Your weak. His pec muscles are bigger and stronger than yours. I bet there are some midgets who can triple my bench, hahaha.

Umm, i'm guessing you haven't been working out as long as your friend?

Nothing is wrong with you. Your starting point is your starting point. Some people start off naturally strong in bench, or squats, or overall then others. Pretty much, you gotta take that point and continue growing on it. I've seen people much bigger then me (size-wise and with a lower bodyfat) move much less weight then me, despite them training for as long or longer then me. I personally started off with almost nothing on the bar. Then, I see others who walk into the gym and put up nice numbers on their first try despite being inactive up to that point.

Doesn't really matter where you start though. All that matters is you continue to try to do more.
    LaLa

k well I guess my starting point is 80 pounds... I asked him right now he said when he started he could only do the bar.. that was what.. around 2 years ago.. when he was sorta working out.. he still works out but doesnt have a set routine or anything just goes whenever he feels like.. thats what hes always been doing.. maybe 3 times a week.. or 2 or 1

Then you just answered your own question. 2 years ago, he could lift the bar. Hell, in which cases you've got 35 pounds on him starting off. Keep at it, with a decent routine, and you'll be passed him in probably less then the two year mark.
    LaLa

I started off benching 95lbs for a few reps back in Feb 2003. By Feb 2005 I was benching 275 for reps. Just keep trying to progress and if you stay consistent, you'll be putting a lot of weight up there in no time

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    I remember starting off repping 10 lbs on each side of the bar (65 lbs total) and I thought it was so heavy for me. This was when I was almost 15. So, no, nothing is wrong with you. I'm also guessing that your friend has a lower BF% than you.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-07-2005 at 11:20 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

nope.. he has a much much higer bf then me

Quote Originally Posted by Girn
    nope.. he has a much much higer bf then me
    Higher body fat = probably in a caloric surplus. I know i always bench more when im bulking. when im cutting my lifts suffer a little. Not that this is whats causing the difference between the two of you. Bodyfat has absolutely nothing to do with how strong you are really. Here in Hawaii at the golds i go to, there are always at least 2 huge island boys lifting. One of them that sticks out in my mind weighs at least 400 pounds, and the dude will REP OUT 405, then rep out 495....like it was nothing...moving the weight fast. He is a fat ass mofo....but strong as hell.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    just work at it, its simple.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    i started off weak too, just continue working at it, you'll see improvements along the way.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

Quote Originally Posted by pfc3rex
    i started off weak too, just continue working at it, you'll see improvements along the way.
    :withstupi

but why do you have to post twice to say 2 sentences?
    Last edited by IZich; 04-08-2005 at 01:34 AM.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

man, i don't think it's a matter of strength. i weigh 5lbs less than you and my max is around my bodyweight. i remember that the first time i tried i couldn't go over 100lbs, but it's just because you are afraid of injuring yourself, so you don't lift bigger weights. try not to worry and go for at least 100lbs, you'll see that you can do it

i think your friend is just strong, and your weak; this isnt dependant solely on muscle mass. this can be corrected, but initiallly you will see a huge difference between you two. also, make sure you bench with proper form. arch your back hard, the only thing you need to keep in the bench is your shoulders/butt (if your feet cant reach the floor, they go on the bench too). make sure when you unrack the bar, that the rep you do is straight up and down and that you dont have to move it funny to clear the pins. when you do the rep, drive through your feet, but keep everything on the bench that belongs there. also, your shoulderblades should be pinched back as far as possible, this and the back arch decrease the range of motion, the back arch also helps you press at a slight decline which helps most people. some people claim that gripping the bar really hard helps too, so try that. these wont put you level with your friend, but they put me from 170 to 190 in less than 10 days. so you can expect to add like 10% this way. (Assuming you werent doing all this stuff already, but the grip thing might help you too, i here it helps some people)

ooh, and another thing that helps. unless they are really weak, triceps help you alot. try to pull the bar apart using your triceps when you want to extend your arms, its helps alot.
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 04-10-2005 at 07:39 AM.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Twenty pounds of body weight, especially if it's muscle can make a huge difference. Plus memory.

well apparently the dude has much higher bf% so its likely they have the same muscle

Banned
    Set goals...Crush them...set some more and crush those...See like right now...you wanna rack thos 45s (135 bench) that was a goal of my friend...and once he achived it...he wanted 150 then 175...its all building...Just make it to the gym and crush...

:withstupi

solid advice
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

I'd suggest that you stop being a pussy.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by jack_of_all
    also, make sure you bench with proper form. arch your back hard, the only thing you need to keep in the bench is your shoulders/butt (if your feet cant reach the floor, they go on the bench too).
    sorry, but does anyone else see the problem in arching one's back during bench??
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Quote Originally Posted by Girn
    ok im 5'10 145 pounds.. my friend is 5'10 166 pounds.. ok I can benchpress max around 80 pounds only.. he can do 235........... .... WTF is wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm 6'1 245, and I can only do about 200 after 7 months of lifting hard. 7 months ago, it was more like 120, and I'm a big man by nature. You start where you start...where you go is up to you.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    I'm 6'1 245, and I can only do about 200 after 7 months of lifting hard. 7 months ago, it was more like 120, and I'm a big man by nature. You start where you start...where you go is up to you.
    Exactly, the first time i ever did BB bench press was whe i was 14, i think i was 6'0 160 or so. My max was 95lbs

Im now 27 6'4 and 283lbs....i dont max anymore. I kinda feel its irrelevant. I set my goals according to what i can rep. Now im repping 250 for 8 flat bench.

If you wanna get bigger and stronger load the bar up with whatever weight you can lift < or equal to 8 reps before failure. Do 2 or 3 sets. Lift that until the 8 reps becomes easy. Then add 5-10 pounds and repeat. Thats how its done, nothing happens over night bro. Well, can happen over 8-12 weeks, but thats naother forum, lol.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

you're right, shansen..I consider a weight accomplished when I can do eight reps, although I may go farther for a week or two to feel like I own it. But 8 is the benchmark for progression for me, and it's worked well.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083