The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

If I do cardio on Off Days, will those days still count as Off Days?

I was wondering because let's say for example that I have 2 off days a week (Wednesday and Sunday), and on both of those days I do cardio (jogging or HIIT), does that essentially mean that I have no off days? So, what I'm really asking is: is it necessary to have at least one off day a week that is complete rest (no lifting or cardio)? Or can all the off days have cardio sessions and still be completely adequate?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-07-2005 at 05:18 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think if you do cardio on your "off day" then that day will become your "Cardio Day"

Well, I keep hearing people say that they "do cardio" on their "off day," so I'm getting confused.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Do you need off days?
    Depends on your recovery abilities.
    Your young and I presume bulking so being busy everyday(be it cardio or weights) shouldn't hurt you.
    I've been training everyday for the last ~4months.
    I do weights one day, cardio next, weights, cardio, etc, etc.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Don't listen to Adam... i mean he's a guy that's can bench 303, squat 403, and deadlift 503.. Just listen to your body.

Question to Adam: Why the 03s (303, 403, and 503)?

Quote Originally Posted by DNL
    Don't listen to Adam... i mean he's a guy that's can bench 303, squat 403, and deadlift 503.. Just listen to your body.

Question to Adam: Why the 03s (303, 403, and 503)?
    yes listen to Adam!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Alright thanks Adam I'll try it. I have another question. Is the point of an off day to give the CNS a rest or to give the body a rest from physical stress?
    Lifting Journal

usualy on my off day i would eat and eat and drink and drink for the betterment of muscle recovery.

I try to do that too. My tummy is always so full!
    Lifting Journal

Why not just lift 4 days, cardio 2 days and 1 complete off day. Best of all worlds.

The Big Wang
    OR..
    lift 5 days.. cardio 1 day.. since cardio is DUMB
    haha
    i hate cardio.. i just run to keep myself up to par..
    Weight: 175
    Height: 5'11"
    Max Bench: 300 pounds
    Six pack: Yes

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=55173
    ^^Tis I.

Well, the thing is, I don't really do cardio to burn calories or anything. I just want to have strong cardiovascular strength and be good at running...have a bit of good endurance.
    Lifting Journal

cardio sucks...i still need to start my HIIT regimen/football-specific cardio work....damnit..

"Squats make the ghetto booty"-Me
    "No matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max"-bIgHwN86
    "Reach for some self discipline."-Holto

but growing daily!
    I do WBB 1 Mon-Wed-Friday mornings and run 5k every night except Sunday. I have Sunday completely exercise free.

After each 6 week period I have an entire week off.

Need to make sure you eat enough to cover your extra cardio though or you might mess up your muscle gains.

Zygote

That's true Zygote, that's why I have only one serious day of cardio.
    Lifting Journal

DNL - the 03's are because those were all provincial records so some of the weights were like 137.5kg(303lbs) while others i could beat by 0.5kg's because it was a record, like 228.0kg(503lbs)
    Fixation - Off days serve a couple reasons. They can be used to give the CNS a rest, they can give your body a break, they can also be good for really busy people that work 60+hours a week.
    I use cardio as my off days because i want to improve my cardiovascular ability and i find cardio to be a break on the mind for 30mins or however long i go.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Thanks Adam.
    Lifting Journal