The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Deliveryman stuck in elevator for 80 hours

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/artic..._for_80_hours/

Chen said his pleas using the intercom were answered, but that the language barrier was too great.
    Ok, I think there a few other things that were missed, like officers and the private security force totally missing him in the first place, but this really bugs me. Both my parents came over as illegal but they made a serious effort to learn english. They knew it was important and they made sure when I was gowing up that they spoke to me in both english and spanish, emphasizing english.

If a person is going to come to the US, illegal or not, then they really need to learn to speak english. I honestly thought it was just a problem with some hispanics but it seems to be a problem with all immigrants from non english speaking countries.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I agree.. but why should they bother when we pander to their needs so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    If a person is going to come to the US, illegal or not, then they really need to learn to speak english. I honestly thought it was just a problem with some hispanics but it seems to be a problem with all immigrants from non english speaking countries.
    How long has he been in the US? Maybe years, maybe days.

Besides: maybe the one with the language deficiency wasn't him, but the person on the other side of the intercom.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    because in the article it said that he spoke through a translator... I dont think the security forces (who i dont know HOW missed him) is required to know chinese for his job description.

I agree, that when people come over here they need to really try to make an effort. If the guy was delivering food, then he has to have been there long enough to set up a life there, he should have been able to get nessecary phrases out.

I dont say this as an arrogant american. when I moved to germany I made an honest effort to let the culture sink in and learn the language in about 2 months I knew enough to get by so people could understand me. granted it took 2 years before fluency but in the first couple of months I got all the major words and phrases.

now I'm learning Manderin for when I go over there. I think if anyone goes to a foreign country to visit and most definitely LIVE, they should try to speak that countries language. its only more apparent in the U.S. because we're a melting pot.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Quote Originally Posted by crazedwombat
    because in the article it said that he spoke through a translator... I dont think the security forces (who i dont know HOW missed him) is required to know chinese for his job description.

I agree, that when people come over here they need to really try to make an effort. If the guy was delivering food, then he has to have been there long enough to set up a life there, he should have been able to get nessecary phrases out.

I dont say this as an arrogant american. when I moved to germany I made an honest effort to let the culture sink in and learn the language in about 2 months I knew enough to get by so people could understand me. granted it took 2 years before fluency but in the first couple of months I got all the major words and phrases.
    I agree completly... it's also a matter of common sense... I mean going into a country and not understanding the language is just looking for problems...

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    What I don't understand is how the security cameras missed him and why no one tried getting into that elevator if the guy was pushing the emergency button repeatedly... Those two are just beyond me.

As far as not speaking english- it doesn't say how long he's been in the country so I'm not sure how much language skills he should be expected to have. Generally when people make no effort to learn the language of the host country I consider that a sign of disrespect. My family made sure to learn english as quickly as possible when we came here.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Even maintenance workers who were called to check out the disabled elevator on Monday missed Chen, police said.
    How the **** is this even possible? First off, if an elevator is not scheduled to be on service, and is stuck for more than a couple hours people in a building would start ranting, security would notice, etc. For 80 ****ing hours? And then they say on monday, maintenance checked the elevator and missed him? Is this elevator akin to the Tardis from Doctor Who? How the hell do you "miss" someone? I guess it means the maintenance guys couldn't fix the problem, and just left the elevator there, but still, 80 ****ing hours.

I guess also, that having an elevator stuck for 80 hours, with emergency calls being made from it, wouldn't clue anyone in to the fact that someone might be in there...
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

thats highly catabolic

English Motha F***** do you speak it?! - Pulp Fiction

Big Dan

These late delivery people - The excuses are becoming rediculous!
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    How the **** is this even possible? First off, if an elevator is not scheduled to be on service, and is stuck for more than a couple hours people in a building would start ranting, security would notice, etc. For 80 ****ing hours? And then they say on monday, maintenance checked the elevator and missed him? Is this elevator akin to the Tardis from Doctor Who? How the hell do you "miss" someone? I guess it means the maintenance guys couldn't fix the problem, and just left the elevator there, but still, 80 ****ing hours.

I guess also, that having an elevator stuck for 80 hours, with emergency calls being made from it, wouldn't clue anyone in to the fact that someone might be in there...

htf would it happen!?

Quote Originally Posted by VasDeferens
    thats highly catabolic
    hahaha

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    if they are really wanting to come to the us, then I would think they would take the time to learn a couple english phrases, and atleast to count. If i was an immigrant, and was wanting to migrate to the us, then that would be the first thing that would be on my mind... it would only be beneficial towards that person.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

Quote Originally Posted by crazedwombat
    True. But security guards here often also have a hard time understanding Dutch. Most of them are immigrants who's only job prospect is being night watchman -- because then they don't have to deal with people.

Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300