Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny people who are big and now get respect

Skinny people who are big and now get respect

Just wanted to get other people's experience who were skinny and now gained some weight. (Hopefully this is not so off topic here, don't see a better place to put it)

I decided to take lifting and weight gaining serious after I was bascially rejected by a girl on a blind date. I was 5'10 and about 130 pounds.. At 24 years old! I just said enough is enough with being skinny and taking **** from people. Also not being able to get any girls.

Now about 5 months later I'm a little over 145, much stronger and bigger. I still have a lot to go.. But It was the best change I probably ever made in my life. When your bigger.. you just get more respect. Your confidence is so much better.. And now I have a really attractive girl, and the possibility to have another very attrative girl. 2 girls!, Never in a million years would I think this would happen. This is only with a 15 pound gain!
    Now I don't take **** from people like I used to, I can defend my honor..

So have any of you past skinny people decided to make a change becuase you just got no respect, and how has it worked out for you?
    And do you agree that people in general really give respect to people a lot based on how big and strong the person is?
    The thing is I personally give less respect to people who are skinny. :evillaugh
    Last edited by eddie500; 04-08-2005 at 01:05 AM.

Your attitude and character are what will earn you respect.

But it was a great decision to start working out. If it helps with your confidence then that's just an added benefit.
    Stats
    BF: 13.2% (6-10-07 w/ calipers)

Lifts
    Bench: 300x1 (9-22-06)
    Squat: 285x4
    Deadlift: 225x10

Long-term Goals
    Weight: 180 BF: 8% Bench: 315x1

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    Quote Originally Posted by jww13

But it was a great decision to start working out. If it helps with your confidence then that's just an added benefit.

true.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

When I was 15 I was about 100lbs...... benched 30lb barbell.
    Grad Highschool at 6' 2" at 160lbs.....
    6' 2" 220lbs I was few months ago.

Most of the time when I was that weight I got most respect. Now I get all of it. Also great when people you havent seen in a while look at you and go WTF, IS THAT YOU? HOLY ****! THey can wait until next year. 230 ripped would be nice!
    6' 2" 22years old
    05' 232lbs, 06' summer 200lbs, Currently 226lbs
    FB 345x1 Seated MP 225x5

agreed.
    Game with girls is not from muscles alone. Its with the confidence and poise that you carry KNOWING you can beat the hell out of any guy in the room that tries to take your girl.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie500
    I probably ever made in my life. When your bigger.. you just get more respect. Your confidence is so much better..

Now I don't take **** from people like I used to, I can defend my honor..

The thing is I personally give less respect to people who are skinny. :evillaugh
    That sort of attitude will leave you humbled when some guy half your size knocks you the **** out when you act cocky around him. I'm not trying to be a prick, just giving you a dose of reality. You'll end up learning that there's more than size to respect when you gain some more weight and are around long enough.

Congrats on your gains though and yeah I agree generally muscular people get more respect than skinny ones.

Agreed. When I graduated high school I weighed 140 now I weigh 233. I dont know one person who respects my size or strength, least of all the people I want respect from (family, loved ones). They respect me because I am, or try to be, the type of person who deserves their respect through my decisions and actions.

But I think it's awesome this lifestyle has done such good things for you, keep it up.
    Last edited by smalls; 04-08-2005 at 02:16 AM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

riprogrammazione
    First off, congrats on the weight gain. It's fantastic that you took the initiative to recognize something about yourself that you wanted to change, and are expressing the determination to to do something about it. However, saying that you personally give less respect to someone of a lesser stature would be a little hypocritical considering that you yourself were until recently that person. Plus, dude, your 5'10" at 145lbs. and that's hardly big.(not to make light of your progress)

Some people like being skinny, too.

The fact that you are having more luck with teh ladies has a lot more to do with your level of confidence after having put on 15lbs. than the actual 15lbs.

So, in short, keep up the good work, but do it for your own selfrespect and you'll notice that you'll get more respect in general.

yeah i totoally agree with u...ive been workign out for a year and u do notice more respect but ive only noticed it form poeple int he gym...i think i had a good amount of repsect but ive noticed i have greater respect at school and more at the gym icne putting on muscle size.i am 17 and there r guys there longer then me and older and have barley gained were i have and r askign me "what am i doing" ive noticed since i got a new routine of a mate (afl fitness coordinater ) i have beome lot stronger and put on pure lean mucsle...it does feel good walking around with ur pecks busting out fo ur top and ur triceps dangling and bangling BUT....the chicks do love it BUT i find there is a certain size they dont like it and not all chicks like mucly guys as some think its not attractive.

That sort of attitude will leave you humbled when some guy half your size knocks you the **** out when you act cocky around him. I'm not trying to be a prick, just giving you a dose of reality. You'll end up learning that there's more than size to respect when you gain some more weight and are around long enough.
    your absolutely right, fighting skills matter a lot! probably just as much as size.
    But I actually started working on this area in coordination with getting stronger..
    I bascially study and train in fighting technique and defense. I don't want to fight as I know no good will come from it, but I think you should have the skill becuase there will be times when you need to fight or defend yourself. Also knowing how to fight really adds a lot of confidence!!

But don't get the wrong idea here, I don't actually treat skinny people like ****, I'm just able to joke around and treat them in a fun manner.. its hard to explain.
    But yes it is a bit hypocritical, but I think its natural and human nature to slot people above you and below you based on who is stronger. We do this sub conciously. Trust me you do it if you realize it or not.
    Humans are pack animals like dogs.

riprogrammazione
    Just because you gained a little weight, and are taking McKung-Fu at your local franchise does not give you the right to mock someone smaller than you. Someone is going to hand you your ass sooner or later, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie500
    your absolutely right, fighting skills matter a lot! probably just as much as size.
    Fighting skillls matter A LOT more than size does. I'm 5'10", 216lbs, and I'm sure I would get my a$$ kicked by a ton of smaller guys that know what they're doing in a fight

I started out at 5'10", 155lbs, and I thought I was really skinny back then. I do get a lot more respect from males for my size, but girls don't really care as much as you would think they do (or as much as I hope they would, haha). The thing you'll notice is that you will get more girls that are into guys with size, but the ones that aren't (which is unfortunately the majority of girls) don't really seem to care either way.

Anyways, congratulations on the progress, keep at it

WBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo
    Just because you gained a little weight, and are taking McKung-Fu at your local franchise does not give you the right to mock someone smaller than you. Someone is going to hand you your ass sooner or later, my friend.

True, although I think that being bigger would give you an advantage in unprovoked fights. A lot of people do associate bigger with being able to kick someone's ass, so if you are bigger I think a lot of people would think twice before trying to start some sh!t with you. The fighting expert may know how to defend himself, but the big BB'er may be able to avoid some fights completely just because people are too afraid of him.

Great Post. At age 27 when my fiance at the time left me, I was devistated. I had nothing going for me, and she was knock out. At 6 ft tall, I weighed about 160lbs. Needledd to say, the ladies would not be looking my way at the beach that summer.

A couple of dry years passed by, and then I decided to do something about it. I joined a local gym, started lifting and doing research. Through trial and error, I learned nutrition, proper exercise form etc etc etc. Now, three years later, at age 32, I weigh in at 195, am on a cutting phase with less than 10% BF. I am marrried with two children and another on the way. I feel better about myself, clothes fit better, and I get soem respect at the gym. Even more so at the beach. Being an ectomorph I get even more respect anywehre I can take my shirt off becuase it shows the hard work I have put into it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

"And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life." Revelation 21:27

32 yrs old, 6'-0, 195lbs, 10% BF

alot of people seriously DONT respect little guys/fat guys/short guys. though as has been mentioned, the confidence of the person has alot to do with it. imho: oddly enough, a woman is more likely to respect you for who you really are, a man is more likely to respect you for your physical appearance.

and yeh, big guys dont own everyone in a fight. though i must say that a general knowledge of fighting with a good lifting routine (which MUST also cover speed work; often times speed>strength) is probably more advantageous than being puny and knowing all there is to know about fighting.

Disciple#1
    I neither give respect nor expect to recieve it through my physical appearance. To me respect has to be earned regardless of age, size, sex or intelligence. Not to given out frivolously to anyone.

And regarding fighting i have only one thing to say: Bruce Lee!

Maybe he's an extreme example, but were i live its not unusual to see bigger stronger guys getting the **** kicked out of them by smaller more frail looking guy. Needless to say the practicing of martial arts/fighting techniques is pretty common here.
    You never know what you can do, until you try to do more than you can.

Quote Originally Posted by IZich
    agreed.
    Game with girls is not from muscles alone. Its with the confidence and poise that you carry KNOWING you can beat the hell out of any guy in the room that tries to take your girl.
    Self confidence is VERY sexy.

**** is real
    yea, i a year ago i was 115lbs at about 5 foot 5, i'm now 160 at 5 foot 8
    i'm still far from my goal but it definatly is a confidence booster, i still don't try to start **** myself, but i won't take **** from people anymore...most kids at my school still think i weigh 115lbs, because i've been wearing hoodies and what not...dumbasses
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf

Peoples eyes open a little wider than normal when they first see me. Most people anyway. I have nice shoulders :-) I dont think their reaction translates into "fimiliar" respect, but it does give healthy types a boost towards respect, deserved or not. Health and muscles is a signifigant factor in the opinions people form.
    The problem is that Im a big, giant p***y, so if you hear about a big guy gettin whooped, its probably me, LOL.

Wannabebig Member
    Im 17 5'7 150lbs being a smaller guy i got a lot of ****. About a year and a half ago i took boxing lessons from my friends uncle whos is a golden glove and was the first president Bush's body guard he's lethal as hell. Then i met this guy that also helped instruct hes 20 and in the UFC. We became really good friends and hang out every weekend. He trains me whenever i want we've been doing this for a year and a half now. Last year at school I got in a fight with a kid this was my test i gave him a concussion i chipped his cheekbone and He passed out for 2 hours after the fight he was in the hospital for 3 weeks and out of school. the kid was over six feet tall I dont know how much he weighed but the point is people that know how to fight vs big guys no match the guy that know will wim the guy didnt even hit me once for christ sake. Do not take this the wrong way im not bein cocky it just pisses me off when bigger guys wanna fight and think they are badasses the they lose to a small guy.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    I'm 5'10", 140lbs on a GOOD day, and I'd knock yo' ass out.

That said, when I was big, people DID give a lot more respect just based on size.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

I get more respect now that I'm bigger; regardless of what people above say, physical appearance is important in how people meet you. Obviously, they're not going to weigh appearance as more important than overall character, but it is an issue.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Patrick Swazye in Roadhouse. He kicked a bunch of big guys asses.

back on the topic...yeah ive noticed this and one of my friends said 'hey youre not a skinny little bitch anymore' LOL made me feel like i was doin the right thing. size to other men = respect because there is the competition between the males. to ladies its just more attractive, to get respect from a woman you have to respect her

**** is real
    yea, i agree with bigpoppapump979. one thing that pisses me off though is when people ask me "dude have you been working out?"
    no, i just gained 45lbs by doing nothing. i know they mean it as a compliment but still, they should have some more common sense than that. what feels good though, is looking at the kids that are twigs that you (assuming you were small, since this is about people who used to be small) used to look like, and knowing you could break them lol
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf