The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'm not the type to get in a fight, but every once in a while confrontations happen. I must say that I think the reason it's never actually progressed into a fight is because of my size.

Which is awesome. Using intimidation factor to actually avoid a fight is pretty sweet. Who really wants to fight anyway? Especially when the guy you're scuffling with is 6'3 240. Not that size dictates fighting ability at all, but still. It works, which is a good thing I think.

The only downside is that I've never even been in a fight due to these reasons, so if I ever get into it with someone who knows what they're doing, I'm going to get my ass handed to me on a silver platter.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Size is a great intimidation factor.

Dress is about equal to size in the equation. A guy in a hawaiian shirt and khakis isn't nearly as scary as a guy wearing biker getup and wrapped in chains.

But most intimidating thing? Attitude. Period.

If somebody comes up to you with that "I've got nothing to lose" attitude - you'd better turn around. It's a fight you don't want to win.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

People mainly just kiss my ass now, I don't know if that's considered respect. I'm sure lots of flack flys behind my back based on appearance alone, but I'm an easy going guy with thick skin.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

Thats weird, cause I'm a thick guy with easy going skin.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie500
    Now I don't take **** from people like I used to, I can defend my honor..

The thing is I personally give less respect to people who are skinny. :evillaugh
    News flash: You're still a skinny person.

Lord at the kids in this thread.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I think 99% of it is attitude and 1% people treating you different because of your size.

I went to other way.. 280 of fat down to 190 cut and thought I was getting more attention ect. Mentioned it to my wife and she set me straight. She told me people have always looked at me (I've always been a fairly big intimidating guy) but now that I'm in shape I walk with my head up and see all those people looking at me for a change. They always looked, but I was so self concious I never noticed as I walked looking at my feet, now I see them looking at me and it gives me even more confidence.

As far as what friends say...... friends will always have something to say, If your big.. "Man, you were a skinny bitch". If you are skinny "Man, all that muscle was blocking your brain". If your fat, "When do you give birth?"

True friends don't care what you look like........ and if they are giving you more respect just because you are putting on muscle I'd question their friendship. Respect is earned through actions, true respect is not gained by what hair gel you use, what clothes you wear or how many inches your biceps are.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    I'm 5'10", 140lbs on a GOOD day, and I'd knock yo' ass out.

That said, when I was big, people DID give a lot more respect just based on size.
    You have an unfair advantage.

You can just pull out the bag. Nobody wants to be the guy who kicked the ass of someone with a colostomy bag.

Except maybe Budiak.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Fighting skills don't really matter because people hardly ever get pass the "F*CK YOU I'M GONNA KICK YOUR ASS" phase at the bars. What matters is how good a fighter you LOOK like, and that is a science by itself.
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    You have an unfair advantage.

You can just pull out the bag. Nobody wants to be the guy who kicked the ass of someone with a colostomy bag.

Except maybe Budiak.
    Teh Budes would love it.

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"

Pearls of Wisdom...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by randy1234
    Last year at school I got in a fight with a kid this was my test i gave him a concussion i chipped his cheekbone and He passed out for 2 hours after the fight he was in the hospital for 3 weeks and out of school.
    How is this cool?
    Fighting is one thing, but fighting to the point of permenently damaging someone is ridiclous. Even if you were defending yourself from a potentially risky situation, this was finishing off for your own glory.

Quote Originally Posted by largelegsbuthot
    How is this cool?
    Fighting is one thing, but fighting to the point of permenently damaging someone is ridiclous. Even if you were defending yourself from a potentially risky situation, this was finishing off for your own glory.
    Did he jump you out of the blue?

If not, you probably DID take it too far. I agree with largelegs.

No reason to destroy someone unless you're fighting for a GOOD reason.

Pearls of Wisdom...

Quote Originally Posted by largelegsbuthot
    How is this cool?
    Yea I agree, if someone put me in the hospital for 3 weeks they would have something coming to them.

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    Yea I agree, if someone put me in the hospital for 3 weeks they would have something coming to them.
    No kidding. It'd be about 230 grains, too.

Pearls of Wisdom...

You Americans and your guns..... yeesh

No kidding. It'd be about 230 grains, too.

If somebody comes up to you with that "I've got nothing to lose" attitude - you'd better turn around. It's a fight you don't want to win.
    Yeah, it's best to avoid those guys. Even if you win they are still going to come back for more and more and more.

I was picked on in grade school and through most of my high school years. I finally came out of my shell my junior and senior year and got alot of respect for being a nice guy who liked everybody. But I never forgot being picked on, it was hard, I am able to forgive though so its not to bad, but it has helped me always to remember what it was like to feel like that. So now, when someone is picked on I always take up for them. I remember having to tell my dad the senior guys where pushing me and threatning me. I never did a thing to them. Luckily my Dad went after them for me cuase I couldnt do crap to defend myself. I was 5'10 150 when they messed with me, then they graduated and I grew to 6'4, but still a lanky 180, well finally after 3 years I have got up to 250 at 14% bf, and did college wrestling my senior year. So now when I see those guys, I always make it a point to confront them. Usually just ,"You remember me?" and they usually say "no" so I say, "Let me refresh your memory, you used to pick on me in high school, my name is Dan." Then they usually get pale and say "Oh hey man how's it goin, and shake my hand." Thats all I really want, just for them to recognize what they did and be man enought to shake my hand. Just remember, its best to be friends with everyone, be humble but confident, and learn to forgive and forget, but use your past as a motivation.

Big Dan

I'm 5'10", 140lbs on a GOOD day, and I'd knock yo' ass out.

That said, when I was big, people DID give a lot more respect just based on size.
    Just wondering, how big were you? Also, what happened? I assumed some kind of physically damaging accident but I could be wrong.
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanStud
    I was picked on in grade school and through most of my high school years. I finally came out of my shell my junior and senior year and got alot of respect for being a nice guy who liked everybody. But I never forgot being picked on, it was hard, I am able to forgive though so its not to bad, but it has helped me always to remember what it was like to feel like that. So now, when someone is picked on I always take up for them. I remember having to tell my dad the senior guys where pushing me and threatning me. I never did a thing to them. Luckily my Dad went after them for me cuase I couldnt do crap to defend myself. I was 5'10 150 when they messed with me, then they graduated and I grew to 6'4, but still a lanky 180, well finally after 3 years I have got up to 250 at 14% bf, and did college wrestling my senior year. So now when I see those guys, I always make it a point to confront them. Usually just ,"You remember me?" and they usually say "no" so I say, "Let me refresh your memory, you used to pick on me in high school, my name is Dan." Then they usually get pale and say "Oh hey man how's it goin, and shake my hand." Thats all I really want, just for them to recognize what they did and be man enought to shake my hand. Just remember, its best to be friends with everyone, be humble but confident, and learn to forgive and forget, but use your past as a motivation.

Big Dan
    If you are so humble and forgiving why do you feel the need to confront these individuals?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I got picked on some in school, and I was over 6 feet, and over 230lbs. I never had to fight, though, because I never chose to. I really wasn't overly concerned with betting beaten up, but more with being suspended, and geting all 0's for the three days I would be out of school.

It's funny, because every guy that ever tried to pick on me was much smaller than I. I'm sure ther self-esteem was the reason...pick on a bigger guy who is nice, and has no reputation for fighting, and know that he'll do nothing. I guess they thought it would make them look tough to compensate for thein inadequacies. I'm glad I could be of service I suppose.

I remember that one guy that I never had a class with, or even associated with, starting spreading the rumor that he wanted to kick my a$$. I heard it from several people in the same day, and I told each of the the same thing.."I haven't talked to him in years, so I guess if he wants to fight, we can do that, but I'd at least like to know what it's about." I never found out, and the rumors stopped. He never looked me in the eye after that, and I ran into him on a basketball court a few years ago, and it was as if we were seeing each other for the first time since the last time we had spoken, which was the 8th grade. It's funny how that works...

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    If you are so humble and forgiving why do you feel the need to confront these individuals?
    That's kinda what I was sondering. When I run into someone I disliked in High School, I pretend like that stuf never happened, and am pleasantly surprised that they've grown up to be decent people.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by IZich
    agreed.
    Game with girls is not from muscles alone. Its with the confidence and poise that you carry KNOWING you can beat the hell out of any guy in the room that tries to take your girl.
    IZich, true dat. We seem to think alike. Lucky for you, you get to see the embodiment of your words...

RIGHT HERE BABY!

Respect and what not has nothing to do with size. I respect the average 5'10 140lb martial artist knock anyone out cause hes so hardcore guy less than the 5'6 100lb computer geek.
    6'2 206

Quote Originally Posted by Ares
    Respect and what not has nothing to do with size. I respect the average 5'10 140lb martial artist knock anyone out cause hes so hardcore guy less than the 5'6 100lb computer geek.
    I'm both, some CLIMB OFF DEEZ BABAY!?!?!?1/1/
    12ll2l2oo2l2o3l3o3o2l2lo33l33o3o3lo2ol2o3o2l2oo3l2o2o3l3l3ol2l22oo3l3o2o23l3o2l2l3o3o3o3o3lggggggggg gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Pearls of Wisdom...

heheehehehe

Majestic, yes we are the thundercats!!
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.