Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ibuprofen

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar

Ibuprofen

Has anyone here ever had stomach problems while taking ibuprofen? I broke a few toes the other day and twisted my ankle so the doc gave me 600mg tabs of ibuprofen, but the problem is all day I only maybe managed to put down 1200 cals or so.

I think im going to stop taking the stuff, I dont really think I need it, and see if my condition improves.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman90909 View Post
    Has anyone here ever had stomach problems while taking ibuprofen?

Short answer: yes.

yup. i heard some horror stories second hand. though i believe the person was abusing it.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Ibuprofen is nothing more than a 'stronger tylenol.' Get some vikes or 543's. They will work better and are delicious.

Drink milk when you take alot of ibuprofen. The milk covers your stomach and protects it from the ibuprofen. According to my old highschool cross country coach.

Research it online.

From what I've heard from people who've experienced it, lady with fiber mialga or however you spell it had taken ibuprofen a lot and it causes stomach ulcers. Same goes for a girl a year older than me who used to take them a LOT.
    6'5"
    200lbs
    Bench - 270x5
    Squat - 350x5
    Bulking

Quote Originally Posted by Burgundy56 View Post
    Ibuprofen is nothing more than a 'stronger tylenol.' Get some vikes or 543's. They will work better and are delicious.
    Dude they aren't even the same drug. Tylenol is acetaminofin (mind spelling) and they work different ways. Iburprofen is an anti-inflamatory, tylenol is not.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Yes. At the very least, make sure that you don't take it on an empty stomach.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Yeah, eat before you take it. I'm taking Indocin (another anti-inflam), for my knee bursitis, and it's recommended I take it with food. If I don't I get a stomach ache and/or diarrhea.

When I screwed up my knee I was prescribed 2400 mg a day. By the end of the week the stomach cramps I was getting were almost worse than the mcl tear I had by my knee.

I talked to the doctor and he prescribed another NSAID (celebrex) that was much milder on my stomach. The diffence was night and day. talk to your doc and see if he'll give you something milder. They usually go with ibuprofen because it's easier for them and a lot of insurance companies won't cover celebrex.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

I think you would mean something similar to Motrin.

i would stop taking them to if your not in that much pain - y take somthing when you dont have to (ive never had problems with ibprophen and stomach problems to anser your question)
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

In combination with Amoxcyillin I've eating less than 400cals a day, so yes.

Neither the Ibuprofen nor tylenol ever did anything for me. I take double the dosage and it still does nothing including not making me sick and I have taken it on an empty stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    Dude they aren't even the same drug. Tylenol is acetaminofin (mind spelling) and they work different ways. Iburprofen is an anti-inflamatory, tylenol is not.
    Just making a point that they are weak. Hence the quotes.

Banned
    Not when you're taking 600 mg tablets

careful as it has a neg. effect on muscle building....

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    Not when you're taking 600 mg tablets
    or 4x400mg tablets....

Well your point blows. Its like saying beers are weak, so instead of suggesting hard liquor you suggest weed.

or 4x400mg tablets....

Well your point blows. Its like saying beers are weak, so instead of suggesting hard liquor you suggest weed.
    Chemically, Ibuprofen is an acid derivative of the non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drugs NSAIDS (which include aspirin). Tylenol is easier on the stomach lining than aspirin but is the same shape and fits the receptor sites; essentially causing the same drug effect. Although Tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory, that is the only difference between tylenol and ibuprofen and aspirin (besides side effects and health concerns.) All three are used for headaches, teething, sore muscles and fever. Ibuprofen is essentially a stronger tylenol or aspirin (minus the inflammatory aspect.) Therefore, your metaphor blows

I didn't mean to get technical otherwise I woulda said it's a strong motrin or aspirin. Hence the original quotes.

I guess your metaphor wasn't that bad. LOL. But I didn't exactly mean tylenol...

I guess your metaphor wasn't that bad. LOL. But I didn't exactly mean tylenol...

ya I liked it no worries, wasn't trying to be a dick. Just, well ya I was being a dick sorry lol.

Tylenol is easier on the stomach lining than aspirin but is the same shape and fits the receptor sites; essentially causing the same drug effect.
    Hello,

Two medicines having the "same shape" doesn't translate into fitting the same "receptor sites" or causing the same drug effect.

Sincerely yours,

Basic Pharmacology
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

ya I liked it no worries, wasn't trying to be a dick. Just, well ya I was being a dick sorry lol.
    It's cool. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by razorcut View Post
    Hello,

Two medicines having the "same shape" doesn't translate into fitting the same "receptor sites" or causing the same drug effect.

Sincerely yours,

Basic Pharmacology

http://www.newtrier.k12.il.us/academ...s/aspirin.html

I thank you.
    Last edited by Cirino83; 12-19-2006 at 11:23 AM.

Wow, this fast became an e-penis extension thread!

Yes, ibuprofen has a tendancy to give you stomach problems if you take a high dose for an extended period of time.

Ectx, I dont like the sound of 2400mg a day. Definately seems like overkill to me. I know I wasn't the one in pain, but you MUST have had side effects from that dose. Also, I've heard bad press about celebrex recently. I think it is withdrawl from use in the UK because of cardiovascular concerns. They're still looking for the perfect COX-2 only inhibitor.

I hate to do it, but if anyone is curious, they should read this Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclooxygenase

Interesting, but not accurate. The specifics of this go beyond the website of a high school science class.

"Tylenol is easier on the stomach lining than aspirin but is the same shape and fits the receptor sites; essentially causing the same drug effect."

Fits the receptor sites:
    Not 100% true. Acetaminophen acts primarily in the central nervous system and increases the pain threshold by inhibiting cyclooxygenase, an enzyme involved in prostaglandin synthesis. Acetaminophen does not inhibit prostaglandin synthesis in peripheral tissues (i.e. stomach), which is the reason for its lack of peripheral anti-inflammatory effects.

Essentially causing the same drug effect:
    Again, quite vague. Acetaminophen is associated with far fewer GI adverse effects than NSAIDs. Aspirin at high dosages can be extremely harmful to the kidneys. Acetaminophen's toxicity primarily involves the liver. Aspirin is taken by many once a day for long-term cardiac prophylaxis. Not so for acetaminophen. Aspirin has great anti-platelet activity (good in stroke prevention). Not so for acetaminophen. The examples are endless.

Not trying to be an ass here, just trying to clarify.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin