Thread: cutting but not cutting...(i've already done a search)

Hybrid View

**** is real

cutting but not cutting...(i've already done a search)

i was planning on doing a cut close to the 20th of this month, but i've concluded i don't like the idea of eating a low amount of calories, "starving the fat off," and not being able to make real gains while doing it. is straight up cardio and lifting, while still eating my bulk calories going to have the same effect basically? i know my brother does this every summer and it works really well for him. one day you lift, the next day ("off day"), you run 5 miles, then repeat. he gains fine doing it this way and i was thinking of doing this also because i haven't actually gained nearly any fat from bulking (was from eating the same amount of calories, from terrible foods like fries and **** at school). do you guys (and girls) think this is going to have basically the same effect as cutting for me?
    -zer06ame
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf

It depends on how many calories youre burning from cardio and it also depends on how many calories youre eating above maintenance.

Just answered a similar question yesterday, so to save time:

Quote Originally Posted by Nights
    To bulk, one consumes more calories then one burns.
    To cut, one consumes less calories than one burns.

Now, by doing more cardio you will burn more calories (more active you are, more are burnt by you as compared to your BMR (basic metabolism rate)).

By eating more, you obviously raise your calorie intake.

So, yes, you can do cardio while bulking provided you are eating enough calories to remain above your AMR (active metabolism rate). And yes you can do cardio in cutting in order to eat more.
    Its all about how many calories are consumed as compared to how many are burnt. Yes, if you don't want to watch calories, you can increase cardio and that'll help you lose the weight. Only thing I'd say against this, is you've admitted your diet is crap. To make matters a little bit more complex, it'll help your results, and how much muscle you retain on this cut of yours, by eating properly at least.

As for the "starve off the fat", if you look at most peoples cutting diets, it isn't starving yourself. Its nothing close. Eating that much less then burnt is unhealthy and is bound to see muscle fall away quicker then fat.

Last thing of all, regardless of whether you are running to cut, or eating properly to cut, your gains will still slow down. You'll look better (lower bf% can make people appear like they've gotten more muscular therefore larger), and you might gain some strength, but you won't be adding much/any more muscle on.
    Last edited by Nights; 04-08-2005 at 11:31 AM.
    LaLa

Yea, I've heard it called a "Clean Bulk" It does work well, just your progress is slower had you done a cycle of bulk/cut.

**** is real
    Nights: I meant my diet used to be bad, i've been "clean bulking" since january...meaning usually my day consists of a protein shake for breakfast along w/ a bannana, chicken pita with pretzels + carton of milk for lunch, pb&pb after school + glass of milk, can of tuna/similar food before dinner, dinner (usually something like steak or ground meat made product), then like 5tbsps of pb before bed and a glass of milk...i don't know if that's considered a clean bulk, but it hardly ever contains stuff like fries, pizza, fast food, etc. - with that said, my diet isn't a problem now, it used to be from august - december (seriously 3/5 days at school would be pizza and fries). anyway, the starving yourself thing i got from another post on cutting someone said.
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf

You're missing the point. The underlying concept under bulking, cutting, or any sort of diet is your caloric intake as well as p/f/c levels. Measure it out, and if you decide to cut whichever way we dont recommend, go ahead. We're not going to go up to your door and force feed you (or the reverse, make you puke).
    Last edited by IZich; 04-08-2005 at 04:26 PM.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

**** is real
    IZich: umm, what the hell are you talking about..."if you decide to cut whichever way we don't recommend, go ahead."
    a) no one has "recommended" anything...nights was helpful though
    b) i know what the "underlying concepts" to them are, i was asking for input in a way it seems most don't approach it
    c) straight up, "We're not going to go up to your door and force feed you (or the reverse, make you puke)." wtf was that
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf

lol wow sorry for offending you man.. not my intention at all. i simply thought your question was answered to its fullest by Nights, and also assumed you werent taking his advice (stupid me, my bad.) And in my defense, i wasnt trying to say anything except "in the end, you do it your way.. you dont have to take our advice."
    hope we're cool now, yea?
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

**** is real
    Quote Originally Posted by IZich
    lol wow sorry for offending you man.. not my intention at all. i simply thought your question was answered to its fullest by Nights, and also assumed you werent taking his advice (stupid me, my bad.) And in my defense, i wasnt trying to say anything except "in the end, you do it your way.. you dont have to take our advice."
    hope we're cool now, yea?
    lol, i thought that was the point of your post
    it's cool, i just took it wrong
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf