Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For anyone who enjoys social gatherings.

For anyone who enjoys social gatherings.

Specifically of the type where you are out late, has anyone found a way to party regularly and still get enough sleep? I feel like I have an obligation to maintain an active social life but if its getting in the way of my training, I dont know that its really worth it. Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

uhhmm.. sleep during the day?

Banned
    there are two things you could do:

1. dump all your current friends for non smoking/non drinking/non late night partiers, and acquire a whole new group of friends.
    or
    2. just go out every once in a while when you feel like it.

How often is 'regularly?' If it's only, say, once a week... can't you just sleep it off (to some extent) over the rest of the week?

i don't go out so much anymore or stay up late i have to be up at 4am monday to friday i start working at 5:30am
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by spencerjrus
    I feel like I have an obligation to maintain an active social life but if its getting in the way of my training, I dont know that its really worth it.
    Decide which is more important to you.
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

Everything in moderation. It's taken me awhile to learn that, but usually it works.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

Of the driver ilk
    You don't have to be up late partying to have a social life.
    "42"

Quote Originally Posted by TTT
    How often is 'regularly?' If it's only, say, once a week... can't you just sleep it off (to some extent) over the rest of the week?

More like 3 or 4 times a week, Il usually only end up getting 6 hours of sleep on those nights, Im not super tired during the day or anything, but alot of people talk about getting 9+ hours of sleep a night for optimal growth.

I wannabebig!
    who needs a social life

Banned
    More like 3 or 4 times a week, Il usually only end up getting 6 hours of sleep on those nights, Im not super tired during the day or anything, but alot of people talk about getting 9+ hours of sleep a night for optimal growth.
    3-4 times a week is rather alot. how long do you think you could keep that up anyway, without the dedication to your work out. personally I'd try to get that down to 1-2. Besides, once your friends see how serious you are about your routines, they wont mind you not being there all the time. And they shouldn't mind because your not blowing them off for someone else.

You're young. Priorities change as you mature. If going out is something you enjoy then continue going out, but make sure you understand that there is going to be trade off. If you understand this then you'll be content with slower gains in the gym. It's either one or the other.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 04-09-2005 at 03:43 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by largelegsbuthot
    3-4 times a week is rather alot. how long do you think you could keep that up anyway, without the dedication to your work out. personally I'd try to get that down to 1-2. Besides, once your friends see how serious you are about your routines, they wont mind you not being there all the time. And they shouldn't mind because your not blowing them off for someone else.
    great idea...
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

The past 2 summers I've been out till 2am or later almost every single night, and I've still made great gains in the gym. Just find other times to sleep, I was working full time both of those summers too, just sleep during the afternoon after work or whenever else you can

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    You're young. Priorities change as you mature. If going out is something you enjoy then continue going out, but make sure you understand that there is going to be trade off. If you understand this then you'll be content with slower gains in the gym. It's either one or the other.

Well thats exactly the problem, one of my main goals in becoming big was to be more comfortable in social settings, however if you never get to be in a social setting because you spend all your time training, then you really kind of defeated the purpose did you not?

Banned
    Well thats exactly the problem, one of my main goals in becoming big was to be more comfortable in social settings, however if you never get to be in a social setting because you spend all your time training, then you really kind of defeated the purpose did you not?
    Going out in social settings is going to do a LOT more for your confidence than getting bigger will. If you don't know how to interact with people it doesn't matter if you're 150 lbs or 250 lbs.

Is there any reason you have to be up in the morning? If not, you can just change your entire sleeping pattern, which means you end up going to bed the same time whether or not you went out for the evening. Myself and most of my friends go to bed around 4am or maybe later. Of course, we don't wake up until the afternoon.

That being said, not getting 9+ hours sleep/night isn't going to kill you. As long as you're not feeling lethargic throughout the day, there's no reason you should be worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Vido
    Going out in social settings is going to do a LOT more for your confidence than getting bigger will. If you don't know how to interact with people it doesn't matter if you're 150 lbs or 250 lbs.

Is there any reason you have to be up in the morning? If not, you can just change your entire sleeping pattern, which means you end up going to bed the same time whether or not you went out for the evening. Myself and most of my friends go to bed around 4am or maybe later. Of course, we don't wake up until the afternoon.

That being said, not getting 9+ hours sleep/night isn't going to kill you. As long as you're not feeling lethargic throughout the day, there's no reason you should be worried.
    This is a good idea, but what do you do until 4am on the nights that you're not going out?

Banned
    Post on WBB

I don't know man, you're still up for the same amount of time as if you went to bed earlier, so you do the same things. You just get a later start on it. It really only works well when people you know are following a similar protocol though. To me, it's useless to be up at 10am because no one I know is going to be awake for another few hours.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    who needs a social life
    :withstupi
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    who needs a social life
    People that don't want to end up like Ryu or 'Veet .

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    i don't go out so much anymore or stay up late i have to be up at 4am monday to friday i start working at 5:30am
    what type of occupation are you in?

- just go out when you feel like it, and catch up on sleep in the offtime.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    Post on WBB

I don't know man, you're still up for the same amount of time as if you went to bed earlier, so you do the same things. You just get a later start on it. It really only works well when people you know are following a similar protocol though. To me, it's useless to be up at 10am because no one I know is going to be awake for another few hours.
    You must eat breakfast for lunch then right? and eat dinner for breakfast or what? I can't stand sleeping past 9! I just like to be up early so that I can get everything done throughout the day faster.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pfc3rex
    You must eat breakfast for lunch then right? and eat dinner for breakfast or what?
    I don't necessarily eat your typical "breakfast" or "lunch" foods anyway. It's just as likely you'll see me eating bacon and eggs at 1pm or 3am.

Quote Originally Posted by pfc3rex
    I can't stand sleeping past 9! I just like to be up early so that I can get everything done throughout the day faster.
    You're not thinking with the right mentality to see where I'm coming from then. If you get in a regular habit of sleeping from 4am-early afternoon then that IS your day, ie. getting something accomplished by 5pm is "early" for me.

Ahhhhhh, the joys of being a student...
    Last edited by Vido; 04-10-2005 at 02:57 AM.

I wannabebig!

Ahhhhhh, the joys of being a student...
    and then youll wake up one day realize you arent a student anymore with no job and waking up at a 4pm to do nothing because you couldnt find a job that would let you come in at 4pm every day

I say drop the late night partying and concentrte on your well being and training int he gym.

I live in a prty/tourist town and was kinda like you. It wears on you after a while big time. I found that concentrating on yourself and your helth/training lets everything else fall into place around you. Youll find you create different social situations, youll meet new people in the gym with the same priorities who are very like minded.

Life is a marathon not a sprint. Worry about next year, not tomorrows party.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.