The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Injuries Rising as More Kids Take Up Golf

Injuries Rising as More Kids Take Up Golf

MONDAY, April 11 (HealthDay News) -- The increasing popularity of children's golf has teed off an upswing in golf-related head injuries among youngsters, a new study finds.

Researchers at the Medical College of Georgia reviewed the cases of more than 2,500 patients under age 19 seen by neurosurgeons between 1996 and 2002. They identified 64 sports-related injuries, including 15 golf-related injuries. Of those injuries, seven were caused by golf cart accidents, seven by golf clubs and one by being struck with a golf ball.

One of the children involved in a golf cart accident died as the result of uncontrollable brain swelling. Six of the 15 children required surgery. The youngest child with a golf-related injury was 10 months old. Skull fracture was the most common type of golf-related head injury in the children.

The study appeared in a recent issue of the Journal of Neurosurgery.

Lead author and neurosurgery resident Dr. Scott Y. Rahimi got the idea for the study after he noticed an increase in the number of golf-related head injuries in children.

"Golf-related injuries constitute a common type of sports injury in the pediatric population. The increase in frequency of these injuries is largely attributed to the increase in the popularity of golf and greater use of golf carts by children," Rahimi and his co-authors said in a prepared statement.

They believe safety training programs, precautionary guidelines, proper storage of golf equipment and adult supervision of golf club and golf cart use can reduce golf-related head injuries among children.

More information

The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons has advice on how to prevent some common golf injuries.
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...kidstakeupgolf

Man's self-hatred has manifested in violence in all forms.
    WHY CAN"T THEY JUST ENJOY PRETENDING GOLF IS A SPORT!?!?
    Last edited by PizDoff; 04-11-2005 at 08:13 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hey now, golf is badass.
    5'6"
    160lbs
    480x1 deadlift
    315x5 squat (atf)
    260x1 bench

"He's used to doing the jerk first, then the clean." -Xian

"Eat more? I am already consuming more than 2500 cals a day." -Danpiel

They were the gloves to protect their hands!

Edit: wear I mean
    Last edited by PizDoff; 04-12-2005 at 06:24 PM.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    lol oh no golf injuries are becoming an epidemic...of the couple MILLION players and maybe a couple hundred thousand kids playing golf....15 a whole 15 got hurt. its the end of the world as we know it...
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Your avatar is a magic card ...

I can identify a magic card
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Too bad research budgets rarely are ever put towards anything informative or useful.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    LOL, look like these kids drew inspiration from Jackass. Gotta love the Golf Cart Demolition Derby in the movie version.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    Y2A that makes you special...and slow...been there awhile my friend
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Looks like the only smart thing to do is ban golf.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

...or license breeding rights.

It couldn't have anything to do with parents, seriously we just need to ban it. And everything else.
    Last edited by BCC; 04-12-2005 at 01:49 PM.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

I'm against virtually all mandatory safety standards outside of the workplace. Why can't we just let stupid people kill themselves off, before they manage to procreate.

Hell, even if they don't die but simply maim themselves and live off stuffing envelopes or disability, at least I wouldn't have to deal with them at the office on a daily basis.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    There MUST be a law drafted to make golf ILLEGAL!!!!!!! Think of teh children!!!!!!
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."