Thread: Westside without a spotter

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity

Westside without a spotter

I'm just now getting into Westside thanks to another member of the board. I have a problem though. As temporary as it may be I workout at a gym with 1 squat rack, no power racks, no boxes for box squats, and more importantly, no spotter. Is is possible to still successfully persue a Westside based program under these conditions? I wouldn't exactly want to go through a ME Bench day without a spotter or a power rack. Perhaps I should just wait on the Westside routine until I have a spotter back and switch gyms(which hopefully will be in the near future). All the same I'm fed up with bodybuilding based routines and I've realized that strength is truely what I am after. Any suggestions can help.
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    i say hold off on the westside until you are at a better gym...because westside training progresses much better with a spotter than on your own...

without a spotter or power rack...

You can do any kind of training you want without a training partner or power rack, but I wouldn't suggest it!

If you have ANY options at all, try to find one that includes either a training partner or rack...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/