The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    P8ntballin

something i've never felt before...

yesterday i went through the most intense bench workout i ever had...

Normally i warm up 135x 7 and then go to 175 and struggle to get it 4 times and then go down

But yesterday i was pumped and real into it and i did 135x7 as a warm up

Then i did

145x8
    155x8
    165x5
    175x4
    165x5

and then went back to 135, which i tried for 10, but i was beat, so on my 9th and 10th, my shoulder seems to dislocate.. its never happened before... but i was ZAPPED of energy and completely beat.. are these my rotary cuffs? or what.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Hmmmm a shoulder problem again...did it hurt? or did you hear or feel a pop or loud crack? If you didnt then i wouldnt worry about it...but if you did or this problem persists I would see a doc.

Thats 6 sets of bench at fairly heavy weight relative to what your 1rm probably is. I know that when i fatigue out my shoulder, the joint becomes a little less stable. I always attributed it to the muscles and connective tissues getting stretched out from the lifting, combined with the muscle getting weaker set after set. I notice it when i get to my final chest exercise...dips. You didnt dislocate your shoulder, you would know if you did that without a doubt. What you are feeling is it "giving" a bit fromt he stress. Either drop the weight down, or do less sets. I would do less sets. If you say you can get 175 for 4, then drop it down to 160 and get your 6-8 for a couple sets. As far as your warmup goes, drop it down to 115 or 95. All its for is to get the muscles engorged with blood. 135 for 7 seems more like a working set for you than a warmup set.

I usually push between 10-15 reps on a warmup set then take a good 3-4 minutes before i start my working sets. This is a matter of personal preference, but if youre only gettin 7 reps out of your warmup, then youre using too much weight IMO.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

P8ntballin
    no i do 7 reps on purpose on warmup.. i could do 15.. but i probably should go lighter.. and it doens't hurt

bench

Quote Originally Posted by corraomonster
    no i do 7 reps on purpose on warmup.. i could do 15.. but i probably should go lighter.. and it doens't hurt
    If you can do 15 w. 135, you should be able to comfortably handle more reps w. 175. You are really doing a lot of pyramiding up - you might consider doing less reps in your warm-up. Just a thought.

btw, do you eat breakfast? Most teens I know that have trouble gaining muscle do not eat near enough often enough to support recovery and growth. Make sure that you are eating a big breakfast w. protein in it.
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-15-2005 at 04:06 PM. Reason: adding text

Why are you doing that many sets and reps? If you're wanting to get bigger or stronger that's not gonna do it.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    Why are you doing that many sets and reps? If you're wanting to get bigger or stronger that's not gonna do it.
    he can still get stronger and bigger doing that many sets/reps as long as he gives himself enough time to heal
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior
    he can still get stronger and bigger doing that many sets/reps as long as he gives himself enough time to heal
    I'm not speaking for him, but I believe Powerman means that it won't be optimal for size or strength. I would agree.

Yeah, pretty much.

Whether it works or not is irrelevant. Anything you do in the gym "works".
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

P8ntballin
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL

have you tried doing what i've done? there aren't many freshman who bench 70 pounds OVER their weight. im doing what works for me

Ohhhh Kayyyy....

have you tried doing what i've done? there aren't many freshman who bench 70 pounds OVER their weight. im doing what works for me
    I thought you wanted advice w. this thread, but nevermind you are right. What you are doing is perfect. You are tremendously strong. I don't know anyone as strong as you....

P8ntballin
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    I thought you wanted advice w. this thread, but nevermind you are right. What you are doing is perfect. You are tremendously strong. I don't know anyone as strong as you....
    .... i never said that. i said that what i do works for me.

i was beat, so on my 9th and 10th, my shoulder seems to dislocate.. its never happened before... but i was ZAPPED of energy and completely beat.. are these my rotary cuffs? or what.
    I guess I just thought you wanted some advice here... my bad.