The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Back at it

How you have noticed gains in mass

Well, today I had a enlightening experience putting on deoderant of all things. As I was going about applying it, I realized there is a lot more surface area there than there used to be... my lats are really starting to grow.

What are some experiences you guys have had that sort of opened your eyes and realized that you're making progress?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

When I had to buy a 48" jacket, and it was still a good bit too small up top. (And even with extensive tailoring, waaay too wide near the bottom.)
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

When I have to go to a big and tall store to buy a fookin dress shirt because I need a 19" necksize! It's kinda funny walkin in and getting laughed at because all the shirts fit like party dresses on me.

Oh and the suit jacket is a biatch too...I can't remember my size but I think it was in the mid 50s...which most regular shops won't carry either...
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

bahaha. Ain't that a bitch? It's probably better getting things custom tailored. Any jacket that fits my shoulders/chest (a 52" plus) looks ridiculous around the bottom, and no off the shelf dress shirts come close.

Ah well. So even if I think I'm small, the reality check is nice.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Back at it
    Yeah, I hear you guys. I am naturally VERY broad around the shoulders. I am 48" right now and I don't have much mass at all... just natural bone structure for the most part and I'm only 5'11".

Hehe, a couple of weekends ago I went surfing with a friend and the rental place had to give me a special wetsuit that was broader up top. I put it on and my friend was just rolling on the ground because I looked like a baseball player cartoon because I looked huge up top but I had these little chicken legs. My legs are proportional with the muscle of my upper body, but I'm so broad it looked hilarious. Oh well, guess I better ready myself for custom business clothes in teh future.
    Last edited by GIS; 07-26-2002 at 01:15 PM.

Ecoli die
    1) When I was told by the local suit shop that I would have to buy two suits and match them and even then they would need tailoring. Funny thing is, I'm not all that big on the shoulders or small on the waist.

2) When I was on a plane and 2 big guys were in my same row and the stewardess (unsolicited) spent 10 minutes trying to find a way to get the three of us different seats because there simply wasn't enough room.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    I have the deoderant thing happen to me as well.

I think that the most common thing is "clothes." I had to give away my whole closet. There was nothing that I could fit brsides my shoes. 12 pairs of expensive jeans, 35 shirts, no including business things I would were. 8 Leather Jackets. My whole wardrobe. I was happy and sad all in the same day. I am scared to buy clothes because I think that I will out grow them and I will end up wasting money. The Bodybuilders lifestyle.

Another thing going into a clothing store and trying things on noticing that a shirt or a pair of pants fits you totally different then the regular person.

GG
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

Banned
    Originally posted by ElPietro
    When I have to go to a big and tall store to buy a fookin dress shirt because I need a 19" necksize! It's kinda funny walkin in and getting laughed at because all the shirts fit like party dresses on me.

Oh and the suit jacket is a biatch too...I can't remember my size but I think it was in the mid 50s...which most regular shops won't carry either...

The problem, I think, is that the average off the rack suit is tailored with the average guy in mind.

And given that the average North American is a fatass, this leads to shirts that are made with the assumption that if they need to contain a 48" chest, they'll need to contain a 52" gut, or somesuch thing.

I wear an 18 or 18.5" neck myself, and I can totally commisserate with your problems.

I think there's 2 options:

1) have some shirts MADE. It isn't really that expensive, compared to buying better-quality dress shirts, and you'll know they'll fit well this way.

2) Have a tailor take in the dress shirt... we used to do this with our uniform shirts in the army all the time; get them taken in and (if needed) have what I think are called 'darts' cut into the lower part to reduce the circumference at that point. Being able to tuck your shirt in without having lots of fabric bloused out over your trousers was a big thing in the army. Come to think of it, it ought to be a big thing for every well dressed man.

For the jackets, if you have a dramatically tapered torso, as Belial describes, there is probably little option other than having one made. Again, the good news is that having a decent suit MADE isn't much more pricey, if at all more, than buying a suit from a reputable designer a nicer menswear store.

I'm not even that big and I have that same problem. First off I had to buy a neck size of 16.5 and my neck is only 15" around and that shirt is tight bastards. This is for mah work shirt (dress shirt), and then the damn thing is fookin enourmous. Most of my t-shirts hang down and look stupid too, but oh well.

The apparently make clothes for a guy that's 5'10, 160 lbs or something.

yea, so I was just thinking about the neck thing, it may be because I always measure around the smallest part, not figuring in the traps, oh well I'm leavin what I wrote, the clothing industry is a disgracE!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Goin_Big; 07-26-2002 at 04:43 PM.
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Just when all my t-shirts start hugging me around the arms and I look like i'm trying to show off in a normal t-shirt.
    Horns: 36 inches
    BodyWeight: 1650Llbs
    Canines: 12 inches
    Current bench press: Nissan 300zx (8 reps)

"Mate I will bench press you and your whole family." - Typhon (Australian Powerlifting Champ)

When i could do my favorite beats with my pecks. That is when i knew i added some size. Before you could't tell if i had pecks.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Back at it
    I noticed another one today.

My collar bones are dissapearing! My upper chest is becoming large enough to fill in the edge of the lower parts of my collar bones that were fairly pronounced before.

I notice the same thing, I CANT' SEE MY ABS.....hehehe, jk ya

yea, gettin pecs is cool, especially bein able to do da pec dance.

Soca King
    Originally posted by Goin_Big
    yea, gettin pecs is cool, especially bein able to do da pec dance.
    Yep the "pec dance" You know you're a serious muscle head when you can make your pecs dance

Bulging your pecs feels cool doesn't it?It's one of my favorite things to do

lol, I've been able to do the pec dance for so long it feels normal to me. I wish it made me feel like a serious muscle head

Back at it
    I've always had a large chest even though it hadn't been strong... pec dances were one of my specialties even in junior high. It was because my lower chest was really well developed but my upper has alwasy been fairly flat... due to swimming I think.

Wannabebig Member
    try getting 21-22inch necks!!! even worse here in England
    If in doubt spit it out.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    When I put on some shorts and realized I was still hanging out of the bottom. I had to wrap it around my waist and use it as a belt.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Well, I just gave a bunch of button-down shirts to my mom because they didn't fit me across the back/shoulders anymore...

I have clothes that I bought when I was around 140 lbs. and they still fit even though I'm up to 155 lbs. or so...I guess I'm just a lot denser now.

Last week I dug out my flotation vest to go jet skiing at a friend's cottage and I had to adjust everything. I hadn't worn it for about 3 years and suddenly it was too tight across my back and too loose across my chest (I lost my boobs when I leaned out...LOL!)

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Originally posted by IceRgrrl
    (I lost my boobs when I leaned out...LOL!)

uh-oh
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    yeah, I don't think theres anything funny about that

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    *shrug*

Not a big deal for me...I'd rather have muscles and low body fat than boobs. Guess which I get more use out of?

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    the boobies.

I have been able to do a pec dance since I started training back when I was 12-13 years old. Its really not a big deal I dont think. Same with my arms and calves and quads and everything else.

Not really all that impressive if you ask me.

I am tall and wide over the shoulders and forearms, so I can never get the clothes I want to fit, always gotta take something that just happend to fit.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.