Thread: Can't do Squats. Looking for different leg exercises

Lean and Ripped

Can't do Squats. Looking for different leg exercises

About seven years ago I injuried my back resulting in damage to my four lower plates. Two are actually fused. I was told then, if I wanted to keep walking, to stay off the squats. So, I am looking to gain size in my legs but having slow progress. My leg day consist of the following. Also, the fact that I have had complete knee replacement doesn't help either.

Leg extensions, hamstring curls, leg press, deadlift w/trap bar, calf, and inner and outer thigh.

Without squats, is there anything else that I can do?

dumbell lunges

Lean and Ripped
    Yes, lunges would take the impact off my back, but how is it on the knees?

DB Lunges are like a one legged squat without the barbell on your back, AFAIK

So, I suppose that would be it about as rough on the knees as squats are which depends on person to person to form
    Last edited by twm5993; 04-18-2005 at 09:59 AM.

A unitaleral movement like lunges COULD be pretty hard on the knee, you'll have to try light and find out. I really like hack squat machines, there is some pressure on the low back obviously, but it can stay perfectly straight while performing the exercise. I'm surprised you have no problems with leg extensions on that knee, for many people those are a killer. Hack squats + lunges if possible +leg curls should be more than enough if you put the work in.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

front squat? and you are pretty much restrained to using leg press and hacksquat machines. but then they all have some sort of impact on the knees...

Lean and Ripped
    Thanks for the advice. I will try the lunges. If they seem to be to much, I'll try the hacksquat.

Leg press still puts a lot of pressure ont he lower back, if going heavy and deep.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.