Thread: Neck - Really stiff

Hybrid View

Banned

Neck - Really stiff

My neck is always really stiff when I wake up. Throughout the day it gets a little better but its always stiff and it always bothers me. I tried numerous different types of pillows thinking they might be the problem but to no avail.

I was wondering if anyone has a similar problem and if there are any remedies?

How do you sleep? On your back, side, stomach?

Banned
    I normally sleep on my side and on my stomach. Almost never on my back. God I just woke up and its really stiff...this sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by darius19
    I normally sleep on my side and on my stomach. Almost never on my back. God I just woke up and its really stiff...this sucks...
    Well, I suggest sleeping on your back. I know it may be hard, but just try to get used to it, your neck will thank you.
    When you sleep on your stomach, your head is turned to the side, and after hours of being like that, your neck muscles begin to shorten and stiffen on one side. When you sleep on your side, your neck is flexed to the side, unless you have perfect pillow height and positioning, the same thing is happening, shortening on one side of your neck.
    You get relief during the day because you are carrying your head in neutral, and this puts the shortened muscle on stretch and relieves it.
    Last edited by Sleepr; 04-17-2005 at 09:50 AM.

Banned
    Ok thanks...Ill definetly try it out. The thing is I cant really control the way I sleep, but maybe if I fall asleep on my back Ill stay that way.