Thread: Need help from the ladies

Need help from the ladies

I'm translating a program that talk about diets.
    I have some problem with the american dress size, I've found a conversion table, but it doesn't make sense.
    Just to give you an idea, in the program it is said that Sarah Rue (Less than perfect) is a size 12, while the actress of Will&Grace (Debra Messing) is a size 4. Referring to the conversion table, in Italy size 12 is a 46 (quite small size).
    Can you ladies tell me (also in private if you don't want to write it here) your dress size and your waist size, just to try understanding how this dress size works.
    Thanks in advance
    "It is not fate that has lead us to be what we are. Nor is it entirely choice. But it is up to us to have faith that what we do is for the greater good. We must believe in ourselves."

My journal

waist 28-29 dress size 10 or 12 depending on the cut of the dress
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    waist 28-29 dress size 10 or 12 depending on the cut of the dress
    Thank you Getfit... definitely Sarah Rue can't be a size 12.
    Which size do you think she might be?
    "It is not fate that has lead us to be what we are. Nor is it entirely choice. But it is up to us to have faith that what we do is for the greater good. We must believe in ourselves."

My journal

Hmmm......... my waist is a 29 and my jeans are a size 7.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    i would say 14-16 maybe 18 depending on the hips
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I wannabebig!
    wow.... so for all the girls who wear a size 0 what the heck is their waist size....

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage
    wow.... so for all the girls who wear a size 0 what the heck is their waist size....

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by muscle chic
    Hmmm......... my waist is a 29 and my jeans are a size 7.
    OMG... maybe jeans use a different size?
    I'm getting confused...

My journal

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    i would say 14-16 maybe 18 depending on the hips
    Now it makes sense
    Thank you.

My journal

haha this is almost as confusing as how to determine a bra size. actually i havent even figured that out yet...how am i ever gonna order that Bro ive been wanting?!

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    bigpoppa, just roll into victoria secret and try on a few you'll figure it out. womens sizes on the waist I still dont understand much, but bra I finally figured out.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Meathead quintessence: I'll ask my girlfriend tonight, yo.

ADDENDUM: you can also ask PowerMan. I'm pretty certain of his dress-wearing expertise.
    Last edited by Organichu; 04-20-2005 at 06:57 AM.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

Woman go to buy a wedding dress and about lose it because they use traditional sizes not the newer sizes women like to believe they are. Kind of funny...like the guy that will buy any size pants that are 32 in waist even though they actually measure 36. This could account for some transerfance problems in your measurements.

I amazing the discrepency in woman's clothing... ( according to my wife... ) in one store she might be a size 7, then in the other she's a 9 then in the other she's a 7 witht he waist being really loose but the butt/hip area is fine...

When your a guy it's simple... you buy something to big and just belt it up... (you might look like crap, but it fits... )

Quote Originally Posted by _8_Ball
    I amazing the discrepency in woman's clothing... ( according to my wife... ) in one store she might be a size 7, then in the other she's a 9 then in the other she's a 7 witht he waist being really loose but the butt/hip area is fine...

When your a guy it's simple... you buy something to big and just belt it up... (you might look like crap, but it fits... )

Hell yeah, All praise the mighty belt.
    Last edited by Gumby; 04-21-2005 at 03:39 PM.
    Our great war is spiritual. Our great depression is our lives.

Weight: 185lbs
    Height: 6'0
    Bodyfat: 14%

haha but then you get that annoying hard-on in the front of your jeans every time you sit down

fighting Kryptonite
    Ann Arbor, MI during school...Niles, MI for now
    i have like a 30" waist (prolly less now but not by much) and wear like a 8 or 10. Jeans are a little different but not by much

and yes, women's sizing is ****ed up
    Lady, I fully expect to see you in the next issue of Powerlifting USA with at least a new world record for your weight class. Make it happen. - Guido

let's see how much this girl can lift...looking for the strength I know I have...
    The Journal...

Thank you very much, again, to all the ladies.

My journal

27" waist, 38" hips. Size 6.

American sizes are radically inconsistant though. At the Gap, I wear a 4. At Benetton, I wear...well....benetton is designed for inverted women, so I don`t wear their clothes at all.
    Women who look at men like chests and biceps. Women who touch men like asses. Start squatting.

"It`s not a grudge. I just don`t like you." - my friend Scott.

"Dude, yer beyond a tool. Yer the whole damn shed."
    -me

Stats:
    Female, 5'0, 127ish lbs (this is a damn lie...closer to 133.)
    Current Max Lifts:
    Deadlift- 245 x 1
    RDL - 185 x 5 x 5
    Squat - 155 x 3
    Bench - 105 x 2

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    That's an old picture of her, I believe she's lost a lot of weight since that show.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Grasshoppa
    2 of my exes wore size 0...they were both tiny, though. I think they were both around 20 inch wastes.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

20 inches? holy...kiera knightley was something around there, no? thats intense..
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

Well, from experiences with my girlfriend women's sizes change from brand to brand.

A Size 7 gap jeans isn't going to be the same length/tightness as a size 7 from Abercrombie or wherever else. My gf always says, the cheaper the clothes, the roomier the fit.

So the next time they've been trying things on for 2 hours and you've been tagging along wondering if you're gonna make it, remember that they don't have the luxury (for some f'd up reason) of buying pants and other clothes with seperate length and waist measurements.

Sorry, this probably didn't help much on your conversion table :/
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd