Thread: I need to practice my punches and kicks; what's the best 70-lb. heavy bag to get?

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

I need to practice my punches and kicks; what's the best 70-lb. heavy bag to get?

Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

www.ringside.com

They are pretty good.

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    Why, you preparing for a fight?
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Banned
    get at least an 80lb bag
    the ten pounds makes a difference

I have one of these "wavemaster" trainers. it stands on its own sand-filled base, filled with 250lbs of sand. it's 100 bucks at Dick's..or at least that's what I paid a couple years ago. I love it.

http://www.karatedepot.com/tr-bg-02.html
    Last edited by Patz; 04-17-2005 at 10:19 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Hey btw, I looked at that ringside website that Jabberwocky posted and ended up looking at a plastic speed jump rope, and I've been needing one anyway. It says there are 3 sizes: 8', 9', and 10'. I'm about 5'6" in height, what's a good size for me to get?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll check out some stuff tomorrow because I have to go to bed right now. But mihorne, why an 80-lb bag? I've always been recommended that a 70-lb. bag is best.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-17-2005 at 11:27 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Hey btw, I looked at that ringside website that Jabberwocky posted and ended up looking at a plastic speed jump rope, and I've been needing one anyway. It says there are 3 sizes: 8', 9', and 10'. I'm about 5'6" in height, what's a good size for me to get?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll check out some stuff tomorrow because I have to go to bed right now. But mihorne, why an 80-lb bag? I've always been recommended that a 70-lb. bag is best.
    II'm sure if I thought hard enough, and wasn't listening to music through headphones, I could come up with some kind of mathematical formula using your wingspan and height.

5/3/1 Journal

I googled it. Basically, get a tape measure or something long, and stand in the middle of it. At whatever point the long thing reaches your chest, you have the length you need. If you aren't using a tape-measure, then measure whatever you are using.

Make any sense?..lol

5/3/1 Journal

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    I have one of these "wavemaster" trainers. it stands on its own sand-filled base, filled with 250lbs of sand. it's 100 bucks at Dick's..or at least that's what I paid a couple years ago. I love it.

Depending on how hard you hit you might not want one of these. I have a friend that broke his hitting it to hard.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

But mihorne, why an 80-lb bag? I've always been recommended that a 70-lb. bag is best.
    I got a 60lb bag when I was about 12 or 13, and I could just about make it fly back then. You probably want a bag that's as heavy as possible, unless you can tie the bottom down as well to stop it swinging across the room/tree/whatever it's tied to.

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.

i wouldnt go with those. I used to have a hanging 80lb bag and also one of those. the hanging bag was by far better. maybe its just me and my kicks but I would be using the free standing one and just when I get into a groove, the thing would get kicked over and mess up my flow. i hated it.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

I need to practice my punches and kicks; what's the best 70-lb. heavy bag to get?

I'll send you my grandma. She even talks back.

Big Dan

damn.

I googled it. Basically, get a tape measure or something long, and stand in the middle of it. At whatever point the long thing reaches your chest, you have the length you need. If you aren't using a tape-measure, then measure whatever you are using.

Make any sense?..lol
    Actually...I was kind of confused with that.

And thanks guys I hope to find a nice heavy bag, perferrably over 70 lbs, right? Is there a weight that you guys would say to not go over? Would getting a really heavy bag have any bad effects?
    Lifting Journal

Actually...I was kind of confused with that.

And thanks guys I hope to find a nice heavy bag, perferrably over 70 lbs, right? Is there a weight that you guys would say to not go over? Would getting a really heavy bag have any bad effects?
    yeah that was consfusing now that i've rad it again.

get a rope, or something long.

find the middle

stand on the middle with both feet

bring the sides of the rope up, up, up until your hands are at your chest

cut the ends of the rope at that point, or mark that point with tape

measure that distance from tape to tape

that is the approximate length you need for your new jump-rope

5/3/1 Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Genacide
    Depending on how hard you hit you might not want one of these. I have a friend that broke his hitting it to hard.
    Was your friend high?

You aren't supposed to go 100% on these bags. They're nearly for training. If you went 60-75% for 6 weeks your speed and strength in the ring would probably come close to double. If you're new to the boxing game.

BTW, I have 100lb bag, I find that works best. Still flyes around more than I'd like it to, but whatever.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Thanks mrel and jake. Mrel, what part of the chest? Just the middle of it? And do I want my feet touching each other or a little distance inbetween? Do I want my hands out or close near my body.
    Lifting Journal

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake
    Was your friend high?

You aren't supposed to go 100% on these bags. They're nearly for training. If you went 60-75% for 6 weeks your speed and strength in the ring would probably come close to double. If you're new to the boxing game.

BTW, I have 100lb bag, I find that works best. Still flyes around more than I'd like it to, but whatever.
    While injuries that result in breakage are rare, I know when I would still beat on my bag ( that doesent sound right) my hands and wrists were always hurting something fierce. And yes I was using gloves and handwraps.

So if you are going to invest in a bag fix, I would also invest in a decent pair of gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    While injuries that result in breakage are rare, I know when I would still beat on my bag ( that doesent sound right) my hands and wrists were always hurting something fierce. And yes I was using gloves and handwraps.

So if you are going to invest in a bag fix, I would also invest in a decent pair of gloves.
    Definately get gloves and wraps....I neglected that from previously. If anything get gloves just to protect the skin on your knuckles. I know if I'm not wearing gloves, within 10 minutes they're all bloody and I can't hit anything for 2 days.

I was just saying that, you don't give it your all. Even if your a pro, thats just not how to train. When I hit the bag, I hit it for speed at about 60-75% of my total power. I try to get faster and faster with my combos. IMO that's what the heavy bag is about, working on your combos with maximal speed and adequate power. With speed comes power.

If you're punching the bag so hard, your wrist is folding..... stop hitting it and re-evaluate how hard you should be hitting it.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Thanks mrel and jake. Mrel, what part of the chest? Just the middle of it? And do I want my feet touching each other or a little distance inbetween? Do I want my hands out or close near my body.
    i would say to hold it up to the point that you would hold it if you were jumping rope, but with the hands in. and i think the feet are supposed to be together. if you get a rope, measure it like that, and cut it, then you can test-jump it before buying the real one.

5/3/1 Journal