The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Negative effects of computer usage on your eyes?

I would like to know the negative effects computers have on your eyes.
    At work I use a new Dell precision laptop. At home I have a desktop computer with a flat panel CRT monitor.

I am on the computer probably 11 hours a day. My vision NOW is around 20/50. It was 20/20 in one eye and 20/30 in the other eye 4 years ago (BEFORE I got a fulltime IT job).

Is it possible computer use can decrease vision, change the shape of your eye, or cause "fat loss" around the eye area (making it hollow?) My eye dr claims computer usage does not negatively affect your vision. He said the ONLY negative thing about excessive computer usage is that you get eye strain....

Any comments welcome, as I am not sure I trust his judgement.
    thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig New Member
    Hello,

Your eye doctor is right. I am in a similar situation, and am in front of a computer about 11-12 hours per day during the week. (Good thing I still save time to get to the gym!) Computer usage does not ruin your vision, but it does strain your eyes. Your eyes become used to focusing on something that is about two feet in front of you, so that when you try to look at things that are further away they are blurry.

My eye doctor tells me that if I were to get computer glasses (regular glasses that have special lenses that automatically focus on the screen and reduce eye strain) then my long-distance vision will recover slowly but surely (to at least the point to which it is physically capable). I just haven't gotten around to getting them, but I probably will after my next eye appointment.

I've been wearing contacts for over 10 years now because of my dislike for glasses, but if they're going to help my eyes in the long run I think it's worth it. It doesn't get much more nerdy-sounding than "computer glasses" but they look exactly the same as normal glasses and fit in any of those fancy designer frames they sell for way too much money.

It might be something you want to look into.

-Eric
    Last edited by ericj2k; 04-18-2005 at 09:57 AM.

He yeah and LCd screens are much easier onthe eye than projection crts
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

crt's are tough on the eyes but lcd's dont blast your head with electrons...so theyre cool. I worked in IT as well before LCD's were mainstream....i still have 20/10 in both eyes.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

I know reading things up close for a long time can affect your eyes and make you far sighted. I don't think that has anything to do with a computer monitor though. Just up close reading of anything.
    Last edited by waynis; 04-18-2005 at 08:06 PM.
    Never Giving In.

yup eye strain. thats why its good to take a break for a couple of seconds when your reading anythign. every 10-15 minutes or so.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

And don't forget to blink

:withstupi

This can be a significant problem. When you're staring at a computer screen for extended periods of time, you tend to blink less, which dries out your eyes.

Did your doc do a test to see if your eyes are dry? Make sure you check that out.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Banned
    Oh...interesting but the doctors theory doesnt seem true. I, for one, used to have 20/20 vistion and now I need glasses because I cant see anything without them. I used to sit in front of the computer for hours and hours everyday when I was younger. THerefore, it must ruin your eyesight....

A rule of thumb a friend once told me: Every 20 minutes focus on something 20 feet away for about 20 seconds.

I just got my eyes checked a couple of weeks ago.

Even though I nearly have perfect vision and really don't need glasses, the opticien recommended that I get these 'computer glasses' as mentioned above. He stated that sitting in front of the computer all day long (as I do) will effect my vision in the long run. He also said that I should jack up the referesh rate on my monitor to the max, and that anything below 60hz could be damaging for the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    And don't forget to blink
    I lol'd