The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are You Down With GPP? By Maki Riddington - April 19th 2005

Many weight trainers nowadays are getting so caught up with the idea of being bigger and stronger, they neglect everything else - agility, speed, aerobic endurance, flexibility and coordination. Get down with GPP and cover all bases!

You can find it here: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=205

Discuss and Enjoy

Daniel
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

"According to Dr Vershonsky, GPP can prevent boredom..." - So a doctor says pushing cars and sledge hammer work can (which means it might or it might not) prevent boredom. Really now? What a surprise.

Can I have a refund please?

Nicely complicated article to sound technical and have good use of buzzwords and acronyms. You could have just said "If you're bored with cardio, try these exercises then you won't be such a sissy!". Unless there's more to it than that?
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

Do that voodoo that he do
    Yes, well-applied GPP training is very different from "normal" cardio.

It improves general athleticism, does more for recovery than cardio, and usually creates a better balance in whole-body conditioning.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Excellent article!
    In the past several months since I started GPP with the sled, med. ball and farmers implements my squat and deadlift have really started to improve. I've gained alot of mass in my back and abs and I feel like there's more spring in my step.
    I am often asked by people at the gym "How do I lose fat from my tummy so my abs will show"
    My standard answer: "Get drunk and find yourself a sharp knife"

Bodyweight: 205lbs
    400lb Bench
    350lb Incline Bench
    605lb Deadlift
    285lb Push Press

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Banned
    so i just read the article

i was wondering how many excercises you do in a circuit and what kind of excercises. i'm training for cross country.

well done maki excellent article
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy
    so i just read the article

i was wondering how many excercises you do in a circuit and what kind of excercises. i'm training for cross country.
    What specifically are you trying to improve?
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Banned
    my endurance throughout the race and just general strength all over. i have a nice kick at the end if i need to beat somebody, but after about the second mile i start getting passed.

Would you guys sugest maybe adding a 4th day of GPP excercise for me. Since i am doing the 3day a week wbb1 split.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I'm training for hypertrophy, and I get very tired half way through my workouts. I also am trying to increase my full body endurance for wrestling. My current routine has Push on Monday, Legs on Wednesday, and Pull on Friday. How should I incorporate GPP into this?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I like the article but it doesn't really tell me anything I didn't already know. When is a good time to do this stuff? Off-days? As warmup?

I mean sure, obviously if you lift weights and do jumping jacks and pull sleds or play sports all day every day you will be a lot more 'physically prepared', but busy people want to know what's going to be most effective in the limited timeframe they have to train.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispy
    my endurance throughout the race and just general strength all over. i have a nice kick at the end if i need to beat somebody, but after about the second mile i start getting passed.
    I think that your looking at performing SPP not GPP. If it's something specific you're looking at improving then you need to look at some specific areas and design your conditioning program accordingly.

For example, my bridging is horrible on the ground when I'm sparring in Judo. So are my hips, and rotational movements. Instead of picking strength movements to bring these areas up, I'd include movements that would allow me to perform these movements more efficiently under fatigue. This means I'd pick some exercises and perform them in a circut fashion.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by cwm
    Would you guys sugest maybe adding a 4th day of GPP excercise for me. Since i am doing the 3day a week wbb1 split.
    If you feel that you need it, go for it! It sure beats getting on the bike or doing the stairclimber. I mean, what's more manly than pushing a car, dragging a sled and performing plate tosses.

Release that frusteration and anger man!

I generally start up my GPP in the summer months. The weather is great and I can get a great tan while conditioning myself.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

maki just wanted to get your attention!
    what do you think of woodchopping?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    I'm training for hypertrophy, and I get very tired half way through my workouts. I also am trying to increase my full body endurance for wrestling. My current routine has Push on Monday, Legs on Wednesday, and Pull on Friday. How should I incorporate GPP into this?
    Well, that depends on a number of things. When is your wrestling practice and which day is your hardest workout on?
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    maki just wanted to get your attention!
    what do you think of woodchopping?
    Yes, that is another great movement. Just like hitting a tire with a sledge hammer, the weight of the axe can be changed to make things easier or to increase the level of difficulty.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I would say legs is the hardest workout (Wednesday). Push is also pretty intense (Monday), as is pull (Friday) but not as bad. Wrestling is on weekends.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by AKraut
    I like the article but it doesn't really tell me anything I didn't already know.
    Tell me. What would people write about if each article covered every single aspect of a topic? This article was written to increase awareness about a topic that is often overlooked when it comes to the area of conditioning.

When is a good time to do this stuff?
    On your off days. You're gonna be way too tired if you do it after your workout.

I mean sure, obviously if you lift weights and do jumping jacks and pull sleds or play sports all day every day you will be a lot more 'physically prepared', but busy people want to know what's going to be most effective in the limited timeframe they have to train
    This is dependant on your current level of conditioning. If it sucks like mine used to, then start out by performing a circut for 10-15 minutes.

Pick some basic exercises I listed that hit your whole body. Perform each exercise for 30-60 seconds for 1-4 sets, and go from there.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 04-25-2005 at 04:14 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    I would say legs is the hardest workout (Wednesday). Push is also pretty intense (Monday), as is pull (Friday) but not as bad. Wrestling is on weekends.
    Are you in season? If so, I wouldn't be focusing on increasing your conditioning right now. That's better left to the off season.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 04-25-2005 at 04:15 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    Yes, that is another great movement. Just like hitting a tire with a sledge hammer, the weight of the axe can be changed to make things easier or to increase the level of difficulty.
    thank you, i think mcgill university actually have a team i was thinking of trying it out this summer+ all that great fresh air and wilderness

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Sounds like a fun summer workout routine!

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington

On your off days. You're gonna be way too tired if you do it after your workout.

The Westside boys do their GPP several hours after they do their main workout. I've been doing this on Mondays and I have found it to be very effective. By all means, do GPP on your off days if that fits into your schedule.
    I am often asked by people at the gym "How do I lose fat from my tummy so my abs will show"
    My standard answer: "Get drunk and find yourself a sharp knife"

Bodyweight: 205lbs
    400lb Bench
    350lb Incline Bench
    605lb Deadlift
    285lb Push Press

Good stuff, I've been doing GPP (although I didn't call it that) for a while. I'm trying to get to do it everyday in the mornings but usually end up just doing it on my days off (which is great since I work 4 days on 3 days off in a row)

Edit : One more quick thing, I've been trying to include burpees but am not sure how to do them. Can you maybe recommend a good link (or just explain them if thats easier)?
    Last edited by wrestlemaniac; 04-26-2005 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMachine
    The Westside boys do their GPP several hours after they do their main workout.
    True, but they also are more efficient at recovering due to their supplement use. However, like you said, if you can handle it, great!
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo