The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting Stronger by Kelly Baggett - April 19th 2005

Its as the title suggests! Kelly runs through basic guidelines and provides a routine that will put you on the right path to getting stronger!!

You can find it here: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=208

Discuss and Enjoy

Daniel
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Great article. I have a question though. I really like 20-rep Squats. Do you think I could try the routine Kelly recommended for newbies but for Squats do 1 set of 20 reps instead of 2-3 sets of 2 reps? Or would that sort of defeat the purpose of this low-volume routine?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-29-2005 at 08:01 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Help, anyone?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-29-2005 at 06:53 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Do that voodoo that he do
    That would be exactly the opposite of what this routine called for.

2 reps != 20 reps.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Alright, and btw, when the routine in that article says "Bench Press" and "Incline Press," does that mean to use a BB or DB?
    Lifting Journal

I'll assume the article referred to barbell, but I don't think it will make any measureable difference.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Also, the article suggested a set/rep scheme of 2-3 sets of 2 reps for all the exercises in the routine. But I got kind of confused because I've never heard of doing abs for sets of 2 reps. Would the concentric/eccentric phases have to be REALLY slow for it to work? Or am I just uneducated and have never heard of doing low-rep ab work?
    Lifting Journal

You could add weight if you do some sort of weighted crunches.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlP
    You could add weight if you do some sort of weighted crunches.
    I know, but what I was saying was that I've never heard of doing 2-rep ab sets. It's just new to me I guess.
    Lifting Journal

It's a different concept that most people don't follow. That however does not mean it is not effective. It may take some time getting used to.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

It may be easier mentally, thinking "I only have to do 2, only 2"

Thanks for the info guys. And yes, Carl, "doing 2" is a lot easier mentally than "doing 20" or something crazy like that.
    Lifting Journal

I don't understand how the step-type loading approach mentioned in the article is effective. It says that for two consecutive workout sessions, you should increase the weight by 5 lbs., and on the third session, you should decrease the weight by 5 lbs. and the next two following sessions you should build back up again 5 lbs. at a time.

So, you'd really only be increasing 5 lbs. every 2 weeks? That seems a little slow. Or is that about right?
    Lifting Journal

Blue veined member !
    It sounds similar to HST training where you`re kind of tricking your muscles into thinking the weight you`re lifting is as heavy as the fortnight before but in actual fact it isnt. You may have lost a little strength but your muscles have stayed the same size so therefore in theory you are getting bigger all the time as you are constantly overloading ( but obviously along the lines of strength instead of hypertrophy due to the rep range ) I`ll have a read of the article anyway.

LOL at that poor explanation I really need to start reading again
    Last edited by Hellrazor; 05-07-2005 at 09:16 AM.
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

Blue veined member !
    Ignore me I am an idiot.

I was looking for something like this to increase strength for MMA as i train most nights either wrestling, boxing or BJJ so can really only squeeze 2 sessions in MAX !!

Looks perfect for me. I`ll give it a shot and I`ll try and keep a journal if anyones interested.
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

Great HR.

Fixation,

Low rep training revolves around manipulating the nervous system. To do this a wave loading scheme is often used to offset any burnout that might ocurr. Progressive overloading doesn't always mean that you must move forward in ever workout. Look at it from a weekly or monthly perspective.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Alright thanks.
    Lifting Journal

Blue veined member !
    Thanks Maki, nice to see you still on here

I`m going to try to start this tomorrow although I`m still sore from my first back workout in like a year and a half LOL

Anyway I`m guessing DOMS will be pretty minimal or slightly less painful than say a med / high volume 10 - 12 rep range. routine.

I`ve only done low rep sets a few times in the past as always focused on size rather than strength although I remember doing a low volume routine once that kicked ass consisting of 1 set of 2 -4 reps followed by 2 sets of 8- 10 reps ( Pretty sure I got it off here too on all of the compound lifts and it worked a treat.

What do you think Maki ? Best way to train to minimise fiber damage / doms but maximise strength so I can still punch / kick / slam my friends without being in agony the next day ? lol

I understand the importance of rest periods but I am so weak at the minute, the only thing keeping me relatively stronger than a small kitten is the ju-jitsu / wrestling which of course is a kind of resistance training in itself, anyway I`m rambling a bit, thanks for the help buddy !
    Last edited by Hellrazor; 05-08-2005 at 05:53 PM.

Hey Hellrazor, I'd like to start this routine tomorrow too but the problem is that I still don't really know how to do Cleans or Snatches. I've asked my PE Coach for some help and he showed me how to do it, but after trying it and practicing I still couldn't do it right. I guess it takes a while to learn how to do it?
    Lifting Journal

Okay, so I'm starting this routine on Monday...

**Session A:
    -Deadlift
    -Bench press
    -Clean or Snatch
    -Ab movement
    **Session B:
    -Squat
    -Incline Press
    -Weighted Chin
    -Ab movement

And all exercises will be done in 2-3 sets of 2 reps.

Alternate between session A & B.

But, if I'm doing 2-rep sets for my ab movements, would I need a really difficult exercises to do for the abs? Or would I just do crunches holding lots of weight on myself? And perhaps slow down the negative a lot to make it even harder? Btw, I don't have a decline bench so I can't do that.
    Lifting Journal

If you want a difficult ab exercise, look into janda situps ...
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Hellrazor- i just want to say that after watching a few UFC dvd's tonight. I think mma is the coolest thing in the world, hands-down. I'm definatley thinking about starting some type of fighting training, any suggestions? BJJ?
    6'0 - 176lb
    ~14% bf

Quote Originally Posted by body
    - women eat cream cakes when you are not looking and have chocolate in hiding places. There are no journal articles to refernce this fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinstarke
    I found that while my friends were good at drawing or skating i was good at moving heavy objects.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Okay, so I'm starting this routine on Monday...

**Session A:
    -Deadlift
    -Bench press
    -Clean or Snatch
    -Ab movement
    **Session B:
    -Squat
    -Incline Press
    -Weighted Chin
    -Ab movement

And all exercises will be done in 2-3 sets of 2 reps.

Alternate between session A & B.

But, if I'm doing 2-rep sets for my ab movements, would I need a really difficult exercises to do for the abs? Or would I just do crunches holding lots of weight on myself? And perhaps slow down the negative a lot to make it even harder? Btw, I don't have a decline bench so I can't do that.
    have you been keeping up with it? i think i'm going to do this routine for a while to see how it pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellrazor
    What do you think Maki ? Best way to train to minimise fiber damage / doms but maximise strength so I can still punch / kick / slam my friends without being in agony the next day ? lol

The BJJ training itself will build up your anaerobic and aerobic capacity. Your gym training should revolve around low reps and high sets using varying percentages of your 1RM.

If you train in the gym 2-3 times a week a sample template would look like this:

Day 1: Whole Body (focus on the concentric portion of your lifts)
    Day 2: Whole Body (slow eccentrics with 70-85% of your 1RM)
    Day 3: Whole Body (isometrics, holding the movement in three positions of a lift for 4-6 seconds)

Use only compound movements.

Another example would be:

Day 1: Push Explosive
    Day 2: Isometrics
    Day 3: Pull Explosive
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by Vita
    have you been keeping up with it? i think i'm going to do this routine for a while to see how it pans out.
    I did it for a little while, and made some gains, but after trying it, I personally don't like it that much anymore because of the really low reps. I like doing stuff more in the 4-8 rep range, except for deadlifts. I usually work with 1-5 reps with deadlifts.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 10-13-2005 at 06:53 PM.
    Lifting Journal