Thread: Need Quick Answer: Would Walmart Have Weight Lifting Chalk? Or Can You Use Any Chalk?

Hybrid View

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

Need Quick Answer: Would Walmart Have Weight Lifting Chalk? Or Can You Use Any Chalk?

Im going to deadlift tonight and Ive never really used chalk. I'd like to, where can I get some?

If this is a dumb question please forgive me for I can be a moron...

I highly doubt walmart would carry it. I've heard Sports Authority or Dick's carries it though. I'm also not sure if you can use like sidewalk chalk or blackboard chalk, I've been wondering the same thing myself...

Blackboard chalk isn't formulated the same way and doesn't flake/crush well. You could use it in a pinch, but I wouldn't bother.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

so what's the best bet?!?

couldnt i just talk regular chalk and rub it all over my hands?

Um, do low rep deads with a mixed grip and dry of your hands in between sets?

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

The chalk you want is magnesium chalk and is the same as used for rock climbing, and should be available from good outdoor shops, hell if can get it here in the UK then anyone should!

Banned
    I'm also having trouble...with finding the chalk...

I wannabebig!
    either

a order it online
    b get it from a sports store as mentioned above

magnesium carbonate...like $5 for a pound.

shoot, so my thats why i notice no difference between my chalk or no chalk(i still think its that my grip isnt limiting yet)... its crayola

the funny part is, im not kidding. now i feel dumb for throwing this stuff into a coffee grinder and making it into a powder. (would this work provided it is a powder??)

chalk...

LOL!...LOL!!

...dude... No.

Go to an outdoors/sporting goods store that carries stuff for rock-climbing... Look in the phone book and call - you'll find someplace that carries chalk (magnesium carbonate = NOT blackboard chalk) for sure.

Blackboard chalk works, I used it yesterday and I found a notciblie improvement in my grip. It doesn't crush well, but just take a piece, and rub it against the knurling on the bar, don't be afraid to get it all over the knurling. It will turn into a powder, just rub your hands over it and you'll be fine

When you're done, just get a wet paper towel and wipe the chalk off

Quote Originally Posted by Mic Soloist
    Im going to deadlift tonight and Ive never really used chalk. I'd like to, where can I get some?

If this is a dumb question please forgive me for I can be a moron...

www.prowriststraps.com

They are a sponsor of the powerlifting forum. Click on their link. You can get chalk from them. Be cool to support the sponsors that keep the site free! I have a pair of straps from them.....best straps ever! I rarely use them anymore because I'm addicted to chalk! Might as well check out the fitness babe page while your there...fun to look at as well!
    Last edited by justhrowit; 04-21-2005 at 04:42 PM.

thanks for all the help. I got some chalk from Quest Outdoors here in Louisville. I used it last night and I hit a new PR on my deadlift. Three weeks into my cut I pulled 410, my former max while fiully bulked was 400