Thread: Pre workout protien shake

Pre workout protien shake

Just a quickie...I eat complex carbs and a protien meal (usually oatmeal, a banana, a small brown rice ball, and some tuna) 1 hour before my workout.
    At the moment I am also drinking my protein shake with this meal, and I get to the gym about 45mins to an hour after.
    Now my question is this...Is it more beneficial to drink the shake closer to my workout (i.e 5 mins before) or is the 45 min gap ok?
    Am I still going to reap the same benefits?
    Is drinking it so close to my workout going to give me cramps?
    Also is my pre-workout meal ok? Im bulking, and would like some feedback on whether its a good choice or not?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Vitalize; 04-20-2005 at 10:48 PM.
    Never let the fear of striking out get in your way.
    George Herman "Babe" Ruth
    "You must have long term goals to keep you from being frustrated by short term failures."
    Charles C. Noble
    "Aim for the top. There is plenty of room there. There are so few at the top it is almost lonely there."
    Samuel Insull
    There is no shame in going down. The only shame is if you don't get back up.
    Muhammad Ali
    Remember, all we have is what we do in this life... if you're doing nothing, then you're just waiting to die.
    Machine

Grasshoppa
    It's fine.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    Hey bro, if you can, you should drink your protein shake immediately after your workout, thats when your muscles will eat it up. Make sure to include some carbs in the protein shake for insulin release, to improve protein synthesis!!

Quote Originally Posted by memo7flex
    Hey bro, if you can, you should drink your protein shake immediately after your workout, thats when your muscles will eat it up. Make sure to include some carbs in the protein shake for insulin release, to improve protein synthesis!!
    I do this as well and one more before I go to bed.
    Never let the fear of striking out get in your way.
    George Herman "Babe" Ruth
    "You must have long term goals to keep you from being frustrated by short term failures."
    Charles C. Noble
    "Aim for the top. There is plenty of room there. There are so few at the top it is almost lonely there."
    Samuel Insull
    There is no shame in going down. The only shame is if you don't get back up.
    Muhammad Ali
    Remember, all we have is what we do in this life... if you're doing nothing, then you're just waiting to die.
    Machine

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by memo7flex
    I'm assuming that he also drinks a post workout shake. He's just inquiring if his pre-workout protocol is fine.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park