Thread: Chin ups and dips

Chin ups and dips

As much as I hate to say it (and I know its pathetic) I really dont have the strength to preform dips or chin ups in smooth form, and I was wondering if chair dips and lat pulls downs would suffice until I have built up enough strength to preform the former properly?
    Or in fact is there any other excersise which works just as well?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Vitalize; 04-20-2005 at 10:55 PM.
    Never let the fear of striking out get in your way.
    George Herman "Babe" Ruth
    "You must have long term goals to keep you from being frustrated by short term failures."
    Charles C. Noble
    "Aim for the top. There is plenty of room there. There are so few at the top it is almost lonely there."
    Samuel Insull
    There is no shame in going down. The only shame is if you don't get back up.
    Muhammad Ali
    Remember, all we have is what we do in this life... if you're doing nothing, then you're just waiting to die.
    Machine

I wannabebig!
    assisted pullups and assisted dips

Thanks Ryuage but there is no-one in the gym at the time I train.
    Plus I live in VERY rural Japanese countryside with a population of about 250 people, most of them old.
    Last edited by Vitalize; 04-20-2005 at 11:37 PM.
    "You must have long term goals to keep you from being frustrated by short term failures."
    Charles C. Noble
    "Aim for the top. There is plenty of room there. There are so few at the top it is almost lonely there."
    Samuel Insull
    Muhammad Ali
    Remember, all we have is what we do in this life... if you're doing nothing, then you're just waiting to die.
    Machine

Banned
    so rural you have internet access?

Or you can focus on the negative. Start out from the top position (for chin/pullup) then slowly lower yourself ... aim for a 3 to 4 counts. YOu can do the same for dip. Start from the top and lower yourself slowly, then use your feet to help you get back up top. Eventually i hope this will make you stronger... assuming you have a good diet as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mihorne
    Way to offer some useful advice.

DNL's tips are great. Also, I think your idea of chair dips and lat pulls would work well too. You just gotta work with what you have. Eventually dips and pullups will come easy to you.

Set an oly bar at eye level, or a little higher.

Start in the "up" position, lift your feet off the ground, arch your back, and drop, slowly, to a count of 5, until your arms are fully stretched and your knees are hovering above the ground. Use as much of a self-assist as you need with your feet to get back to "up" and repeat.

Try to do five sets of 5, then three sets of 8, then start chinning as many as you can, finishing the set with the self-assisted ones, and work up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by mihorne
    We do have phone lines here you know.
    Thanks as usual for the advice.
    I'll let you know how I get on.
    Just gotta keep plugging away.
    Charles C. Noble
    Samuel Insull
    Muhammad Ali
    Machine