Thread: Squat and Leg Ext...

Wannabebig Member

Squat and Leg Ext...

Do Leg Extenseions workout the same muscle squats do? If so, why do both for a leg workout?

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Leg Extentions don't work your hamstrings, glutes, hips or lower back. So no, they aren't the same exercise.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Wannabebig Member
    No thats not what Im talking about. The leg Extension works out the quads(only) and squats work out the quads(also other things) so I was asking if it would be pointless to do both for my leg exersices?

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    It wouldn't be pointless as you should hit your quads with more than one exercise. However I would recommend leg press or lunges (or both) over leg extentions
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    It wouldn't be pointless because you need more than one exercise for each muscle. Also, different exercises = more variation, which will stimulate your muscles better than just doing 1 exercise.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    It would not be pointless to do both exercises depending on your weight lifting goals. In my opinion, if you only want to do one of the exercises definitely go with squats. They are much easier on your knees because they are a natural movement. You could start out your workout with squats and later on burn out with the leg extensions to get that extra burn.
    Check out www.trueprotein.com for all of your supplement needs!

New customers can use this code to get a discount: NAE933.