The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

dumbell benchpress question.

When doing dumbell benchpress does form really matter?

I kind of don't put to much attention to form.. I just hang my arm out and try to push the weight all the way to the top.

Bascially does it matter how far out I hold the dumbell or or how far in.. if my arm is held at a 90 degree angle out? 90degrees from the the armpit area.

I've been increasing like crazy with dumbell benchpress.. but I'm wondering if I'm just cheating the weight up or something.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Only the Strong Survive BloodNPoetry's Avatar
    I have found that doing dumbell presses the same way you would do bench presses really works best. Meaning you go down to a 90 deg both at elbows and arm pits and press up. I like to go down a little further to really stretch the inner part of my chest. And rotate the wrists a bit at the top to bring the bells together and squeeze the chest.

But like any exercise, form is very important. If you cant maintain a good form while doing the exercise you need to go down in weight. I get better pumps using lighter weight an good form than using heavier weight and just throwing up the pounds.

And the pump is much more important than using heavier weights.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

if you feel the need for "proper form" then just switch things around a little... do both full and partial reps. for example, i usually do 3sets of ATF squat, and 3sets of parallel. and for bench, i would load 105% of my 1RM and go halfway down, or 80% and go all the way down. I believe that there's no one type of movement that dictates over others and that the body respond better to variety.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    I smell sarcasm in your statement :evillaugh

Banned
    Form is the most important thing...Punk kids that sacrafice form for weight are idiots...

Yeah I don't pay much attention to form. But I keep increasing each week.. so the way I look at it, I can always drop the weight 5 pounds and have perfect form.
    I mean I get a huge psychological boost when I gain weight. Wouldn't want to kill that pschological boost just for good form.

This is the 5th week in a row that I added 2.5 pounds per week at 4 reps.

Thats like adding at least 5 pounds to a barbell benchpress each week for 5 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutz981
    Form is the most important thing...Punk kids that sacrafice form for weight are idiots...
    :withstupi
    self improvement is masturbation.. maybe self destruction is the answer - space monkey.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Form is more important. If you drop 5 lbs and use the lighter weight and concentrate on form 100%, there's no doubt that you'll soon be back up to where you were and probably higher.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-20-2005 at 06:35 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

PowerManDL that statement makes me
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Quote Originally Posted by bill
    PowerManDL that statement makes me
    But its true.
    Last edited by BloodNPoetry; 04-20-2005 at 07:44 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie500
    Yeah I don't pay much attention to form. But I keep increasing each week.. so the way I look at it, I can always drop the weight 5 pounds and have perfect form.
    I mean I get a huge psychological boost when I gain weight. Wouldn't want to kill that pschological boost just for good form.

This is the 5th week in a row that I added 2.5 pounds per week at 4 reps.

Thats like adding at least 5 pounds to a barbell benchpress each week for 5 weeks!
    WOW that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard..sacarficing form with weight..foolish, I read what you said a few times just because I can't beleive someone would say that..

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Hey eddie. If you have perfect form, I promise you'll make gains even faster (assuming all of the other variables stay constant).
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-20-2005 at 08:52 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodNPoetry
    I. I like to go down a little further to really stretch the inner part of my chest. And rotate the wrists a bit at the top to bring the bells together and squeeze the chest.

There is no "inner part" of the chest. The chest is one muscle. When you have a bit of time, you may want to go to the search engine on this forum and type in the words "inner chest". Preferably BEFORE you make any more responses. You will see why.

Wannabebig Member
    Not paying attention to form is the number one cause for injuries in the gym. especially if your increasing weight at the rate that you are saying. That should be your first concern. Once you get the perfect form then you go with heavy weight. You can do a **** load of weight, but if your form sucks then you end up looking stupid anyways. Just kick down the weight a couple notches and concentrate on form, have someone at your gym critique the **** out of it and work on it till you perfect it. Then go for the heavy weights safely.

And extreme just because the chest is one muscle doesn't mean that you can't have an inner part of that muscle. Does that mean that incline and decline do the same thing just because they hit the same muscle??? They do hit the same muscle, but at a different angle therefore working out different parts more than others. So you can work out the inner part of your chest more than the outer part!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeAnabolic
    There is no "inner part" of the chest.

Extreme, its obviously the upper inner parallel exterior inside part that he was talking about.

To address the original poster, yes, form does matter. It hurts me when I see jackass 15 year olds jerking around 2x what they can really handle. It hurts...me....right....here.....

Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7
    Extreme, its obviously the upper inner parallel exterior inside part that he was talking about.

To address the original poster, yes, form does matter. It hurts me when I see jackass 15 year olds jerking around 2x what they can really handle. It hurts...me....right....here.....
    If you read what i said correctly, i said STRETCH the inner part of the chest. Dips, and cable crossovers are exercises that focus on the inner part of the chest. So before you go and make stupid ass remarks about other people, sit down and use your brain first. :alcoholic

If you read what i said correctly, i said STRETCH the inner part of the chest. Dips, and cable crossovers are exercises that focus on the inner part of the chest. So before you go and make stupid ass remarks about other people, sit down and use your brain first. :alcoholic

I read exactly what you said. Dips and cable crossovers are exercises that focus on the CHEST. The Pectoris Major. I did happen to sit down and use my brain before I made a remark, perhaps you should follow your own advice.

The muscle fibers in your chest run all the way from your sternum to greater tubercle in your shoulder.

Here you go, hotshot, find the "inner chest muscle" for me:

Quote Originally Posted by shootermcgavin7
    I read exactly what you said. Dips and cable crossovers are exercises that focus on the CHEST. The Pectoris Major. I did happen to sit down and use my brain before I made a remark, perhaps you should follow your own advice.

The muscle fibers in your chest run all the way from your sternum to greater tubercle in your shoulder.

Here you go, hotshot, find the "inner chest muscle" for me:

Where are you getting "Inner Chest Muscle"? I said the inner part of the chest. I dont know about you, but i can go and do various chest exercises that will pump the inner arear better than the outer area. I never said there was a separate Inner Chest muscle Mr. Ronnie Coleman.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body. One day, i will feel no more pain.
    5"11 195lbs 13% BF
    Goal 225lbs 10% BF
    I was once 5"11 113lbs. i will never be that weak again.

Where are you getting "Inner Chest Muscle"? I said the inner part of the chest. I dont know about you, but i can go and do various chest exercises that will pump the inner arear better than the outer area. I never said there was a separate Inner Chest muscle Mr. Ronnie Coleman.

You can't work part of a muscle fiber. The fiber either contracts as a whole or it doesn't.

But its true.
    The fact that you believe it speaks volumes.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

LOFL, PMDL. One of the mods needs to get the ok from cloughie and just start banning and closing threads like ****in crazy. This site is getting insane.

Memo7flex, try and understand what your saying before your giving advice. Maybe basic anatomy and physiology would be a good place to start.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Wow, this thread has become a bloodbath of belligerence.
    Last edited by ABDomega; 04-21-2005 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    LOFL, PMDL. One of the mods needs to get the ok from cloughie and just start banning and closing threads like ****in crazy. This site is getting insane.
    No doubt. I try to help out, but goddamn. I'm drowning in a tide of ****ing idiots.

No doubt. I try to help out, but goddamn. I'm drowning in a tide of ****ing idiots.
    Sadly I think that's an understatement.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST