The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Freezing Yogurt and L. Acidophilus

hey,

I did a search for this in google and on the boards here but couldn't find anything for this specifically. I eat a lot of yogurt a day, probably 3-4 cups. I like to freeze it and eat it by itself, but does this freezing kill the L. Acidophilus and other cultures in the yogurt, or make it less effective? If it does, I'll have to eat it w/o freezing it.

thx in advance if anyone knows.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    I think it would

There is no RDA for Lactobacillus Acidophilus, but experts recommend that you obtain 3-5 billion live organisms of L. Acidophilus to maintain colon health, and to combat digestive upset. Since bacteria are not measured by weight, such as in milligrams (mg) or grams (g) as you usually see supplements listed, it is measured by number. This can be taken either in supplement form or within foods that contain L. Acidophilus, such as yogurt, some milks, miso and tempeh. However, be sure to check to see if your favorite brand of yogurt adds the live cultures only after pasteurization as the high temperatures will kill the bacteria. Check the date on the yogurt or acidophilus milk to make sure it is still good. Keep in mind that freezing temperatures also kill the bacteria.

Found the answer to me own question. Dammit! No more freezing the yogurt. Son of a...
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    I didn't think much of anything could live in a freezer

Freezing kills most parasites but does not kill bacteria. It simply halts or slows down their growth. Your yogurt is fine.
    kd

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_freezing.html

well now I'm confused because this site clearly states that freezing temps. kills them.

http://www.lifescript.com/www/Health...dex.asp?Page=2

It's where I got the quote. Page 2. I'll have to read some more. I did think it was strange though, since E. Coli is a bacteria (I think) and you hear about ppl getting it from fast food chains. I know they freeze their stuff before serving it.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

I hate stupid sites that claim bs things like "It will kill them." I thought it was legit. Here's a link to a study done on probiotics in ice cream. Freezing for long periods of time seems to decrease the numbers of effective bacteria (or something like that) but that was after like 17 weeks in the freezer.

Now whether to trust this link or not, who knows.

http://jds.fass.org/cgi/content/abstract/75/6/1415
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

well, so far in my searches, i haven't found anything that i would say "this site is credible, and they say 'x' ". I've found a few from universities, but no big schools... however, i'm more likely to believe universities than food producers.

I'm more likely to believe that it's possible to kill bacteria by freezing it, but it would take more of a freezer than you and I have in our kitchens. I would think it would have to do with crystalizing EVERY water molecule, and rupturing the bacteria themselves; sorta like eating a previously frozen orange... it's all mushy. I would also guess it would render whatever food unedible.

Freezing, as our fridges do it, only slows down / stops decomposition and bacterial growth.

kd

I'm a microbiologist and I can tell you without a doubt that freezing does not kill bacteria.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

^ There's your answer.
    6'3" 270#
    Deadlift 505x2 8/1/2010
    Squat 435x1 7/13/2010
    Bench Press 325x1 8/12/2010