The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

My girlfriend is a Genius!

Ok, I really honestly believe that my girlfriend is a genius. Does anyone know how I could know without her taking an IQ test, she refuses to take one. Thoughts on this?
    Fighters are teh bomb -Getfit

Test is test is test is test. It'll all bloat you the same! -BCC

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    IQ tests aren't really a clear indication of intelligence. You could be a very intelligent person and get a mediocre score. Maybe she's afraid that she'll score low and get this false idea that she's not intelligent.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Well, for starters, are you wanting to measure her abstract reasoning IQ, her logical-mathematical IQ, her perceptual IQ, her linguistic IQ or her visual-spatial IQ?

I think you can get IQ tests to do at home from Borders or Barnes and Noble. Maybe she would feel more comfortable taking one at home. Yea, she probably is afraid to take one and find out shes not as smart as she thinks she is.

The woman with either the highest or an incredibly high IQ writes a column in some newspaper, and some of the stuff she says is just incredibly stupid sounding. For instance, she said something like: "I don't like when people tell children they can be anything they want to be, because they can't. The chances they will grow up to become president is so slim it really isn't a chance at all." It's true, but if she doesn't think everybody already knows that, or that it needs to be said, she must not be that smart.
    Last edited by noahfor123; 12-01-2005 at 09:32 PM.

All garbage anyways. When I was a kid IQ tests were forced on us in school. I scored in the genius range and know what I did with the expectations heaped on me from it? Became an utterly bored straight c student who ended up taking general level classes in high school with all the other people waiting to drop out. For spite. Hurt myself more than anyone... but a feeling of repression never mixes well with a teenager.

IQ tests are a bunch of elitist reeking crap that breed false expectations whatever the result. By MENSA I have an IQ of 154 and my brother has a 181. All the males on my father's side are 140+. It's a point of 'family pride'. I grew up hating it with all my heart.

The fact your girlfriend doesn't want anything to do with the worthless tests raises her IQ in my book. You have a bright girlfriend. That's good enough. It's not like measuring a bench press.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    A lot of people who have very high IQ's don't funtion well in society.

You guys ever hear of Christopher Michael Langan , the smartest man in america?

His IQ has been measured at 195.

I'd tell you one thing, if my IQ was that high I WOULD NOT BE WORKING AS A BOUNCER!!!

I'd have my own billion dollar company.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Mine is 146, but I still think it's irrelevant to real world applicability.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    Mine is 146, but I still think it's irrelevant to real world applicability.
    That about sums it up. Meaningless unless you have the ability to apply the knowledge.
    Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by TripleP
    I'd have my own billion dollar company.
    Unless, of course, you had no aptitude for business.

Even so-called genius level IQs don't guarantee an aptitude for everything. My brother is a mathematical whiz and a computer programmer of the highest caliber. Creative writing wise, though? He couldn't write a story to save his soul. That's where my strength used to lie.

Sure, it's really easy to pick things up with the slightest bit of focus. Too easy in a lot of cases... when I went to tech college I barely cracked a book and pulled a 96% average. People busting their asses off in my classes hated me. I made no friends doing exams in 9 minutes that it took some of the others the full two hours to do.

I'm a social ******. I have no idea what makes people tick or how to relate to them. Any business venture I tried, as a result, would be doomed to fail. No amount of accounting precision or fully fleshed out business plan would stop it.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 12-01-2005 at 10:11 PM.

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8

Quote Originally Posted by meltedtime
    That about sums it up. Meaningless unless you have the ability to apply the knowledge.
    Dead on accurate.

Grasshoppa
    Friend of mine is a brilliant programmer. He was given exemptions from taking a few programming classes in college because the professors felt they were beneath his level of knowledge.

He ultimately flunked out of college because the only thing he was good at was programming.

Just like the other examples, friend knows how to program, but that's it. He's not very sociable and not interested in starting his own business.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Shes told me before that a doctor once wanted her to take an IQ test and her mom has also tried to push it on her. I guess i'll just leave it alone. Shes going to school to become a nurse anesthetist, I wish she'd go to be a chemical engineer or something. :evillaugh Also does anyone know what a high IQ range is? Thanx.
    Last edited by FighterInSnatch; 12-02-2005 at 04:22 AM.
    Fighters are teh bomb -Getfit

Test is test is test is test. It'll all bloat you the same! -BCC

It's amazing. Everyone here is an under-applied genius!

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Why are you looking to quantify her intelligence? If you think she's a genius just keep telling her that. It should make both of you feel good. Don't push her.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by FighterInSnatch
    Shes told me before that a doctor once wanted her to take an IQ test and her mom has also tried to push it on her. I guess i'll just leave it alone. Shes going to school to become a nurse anesthetist, I wish she'd go to be a chemical engineer or something. :evillaugh Also does anyone know what a high IQ range is? Thanx.
    My girlfriend is studying engineering. You have to want it in order to succeed at it. Like all advanced sciences it takes more than raw CPU power to do well at it.

The 'average' used to be 80-110, and possibly still is. Above average is 110-150. Genius used to start at 150+. The thing is a lot of people are breaking the 150 barrier these days... so many that finally the tests themselves are being questioned. There's been talk of raising the 'genius' definition to 160 or 170 to keep it elite but there's a lot of 150-170 that fiercely oppose it.

Don't push her. It's all worthless. Utterly worthless. At best you get a big ego over it. At worst it's like knowing your maximum genetics in bodybuilding... would you work out as hard if you knew that biology says you will never bench more than 270 no matter what you do?

Galileo: Of course we are. This is the internet. Everyone is an underapplied six foot plus genius with blemish free skin, a set of abs to die for, and a job that will take them straight to the top. Also, they have big wangs.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer
    Galileo: Of course we are. This is the internet. Everyone is an underapplied six foot plus genius with blemish free skin, a set of abs to die for, and a job that will take them straight to the top. Also, they have big wangs.
    I don't belong here.

Quote Originally Posted by galileo
    Not everyone.

I think mine's around 84, which is 'Borderline Intellectual Functioning'.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 12-02-2005 at 06:50 AM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

If that's good enough to get you through your life alive then you are a genius.

Dying of natural causes is the only true test of intelligence I respect.

Amazing how that works, huh?

Banned
    i got to the internet. thats genius enough for me.

Google makes experts and geniuses of us all.

My girlfriend is the best and she is so...oh wait I dont have a girlfriend.

I am a bodybuilder living in Emo land, go figure.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock
    My girlfriend is the best and she is so...oh wait I dont have a girlfriend.

I am a bodybuilder living in Emo land, go figure.
    Are there no girls at your gym, Rock? There are a few cute ones at my gym- I can ship them to you if you'd like.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Quote Originally Posted by FighterInSnatch
    Ok, I really honestly believe that my girlfriend is a genius. Does anyone know how I could know without her taking an IQ test, she refuses to take one. Thoughts on this?
    Maybe you're just really really dumb and she's normal?

OMG SOMEONE SAID THEIR IQ IS HIGHER THAN MINE OMG THEY MUST BE LYING ON TEH INTERNETZ.

My IQ is 146 and I dropped out of high school, I'm not sure it's a useful measure of intelligence, or even bragging rights for that matter. Grow up people.