The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Rebuilding the body

Hey guys, I'm new here, and I think me doing one of these journals would be great for me to keep my focus and maybe could get some pointers here and there.

A little background. I'm 19 and about to be a sophomore in college. I wrestled for 6 years until my shoulder couldn't take it anymore. I had a shoulder reconstruction surgery a year ago, took me 6 months to get that back to 100%....then I injured my back badly last fall. I'm in my 4th month of physical therapy and finally am pain free.

Right now, I'm 6'4 and 175lbs. Can you guess if I'm lanky? I've been out of the gym for over a year and a half now....I was trying to heal shoulder and I was really burnt out from wrestling. Then my back went out and I was busy with school and everything. Now I'm ready to make a commitment to myself to pack on the muscle, for my own well-being and to keep myself from injury.

I got back in the gym 2 weeks ago today, lifting light weights, one exercise per body part, just to get my body used to lifting again. I feel well enough now to start to pick up the pace and have begun the WBB #1.

I'd like to eventually be about 200lbs of muscle. I should put the weight on fairly easily. I have had an awful diet the past 6 months due to my pain and all the pain meds...sometimes I'd go 2 days without eating.

Okay, enough of the background stuff...let's get to the good stuff!

Keep in mind I'm coming off being injured and haven't been in the gym in a looooong time....so try not to laugh too hard. My main concentration is using proper form and not hurting myself. It's tough to check my ego.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Monday

Sleep - 11 hours

Warm up - 5 minutes of jogging

Chest-

Flat barbell Bench Press - 95lbs...2 sets of 8
    Incline dumbell press - 30lbs ....2 sets of 8
    Assisted dips - 70lbs of help...2 sets of 8

Back -

Assisted wide grip pullups -- 80lbs of help...2 sets of 8
    Deadlift -- 135lbs....2 sets of 8
    Barbell row -- 85lbs...2 sets of 8
    Dumbell Shrugs -- 45lbs 1 set of 10

MEALS -

Meal 1 - Chicken and rice casserole
    Meal 2 - Peanut butter sandwich, large glass of milk
    Meal 3 - Chicken and rice casserole, large glass of milk
    Meal 4 - Peanut butter sandwich, large glass of milk
    Meal 5 - Chicken and rice casserole

This is the most I've eaten in a long time in a day. I noticed I had more energy and overall felt better. Bare with me while I gain my appetite back. Can you tell all I had in the fridge was left overs? I drank nearly a half gallon of skim milk today. lol

Overall, I felt I had a good workout. Next week, I feel comfortable enough to bump everything up by 5 or 10 pounds. Deadlifts were the hardest on my legs, as I haven't done hardly anything with my legs for so long. My legs will be sore tomorrow.

Welcome to the land of journals. Sounds like a string of bad injuries but hopefully that is all behind you now. Good choice in going slowly with the weights at first. I suspect that muscle memory will kick in pretty quick and that 200lbs won't be far away.

Best of luck.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rookiebldr
    Welcome to the land of journals. Sounds like a string of bad injuries but hopefully that is all behind you now. Good choice in going slowly with the weights at first. I suspect that muscle memory will kick in pretty quick and that 200lbs won't be far away.

Best of luck.
    Thanks for the welcome.

I've definately had my share of bad luck the past couple of years concerning injuries. I think I've got it all out of my system now. I hope. lol

I'm really excited to see how my body looks and how my strength improves in the next few months. I look at myself in the mirror and can already notice myself starting to look more and more like how I did during the wrestling years.

One thing that pissed me off in wrestling is I never could train for bulk, it was all for endurance. That and I think when I was that age, my body was wanting to grow up, and not out. I used to have a tough time packing on the mass. I've got a feeling it'll pack on easier this time!
    Last edited by AssistSuper; 04-19-2005 at 10:04 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I don't know if I'm going to be able to not post in this thing. It makes me excited to go lift and keep working at eating the right things!

Tuesday -

Off Day

I feel pretty good today, chest is slightly sore, but not bad. My back is sore, but not terrible. I'm really suprised at how sore my hamstrings and glutes are from those light deadlifts.

I've been bad about sleep. Couldn't get any last night. In the past 24 hours I've slept maybe 4 hours. Not good Henry! Not Good!

Getting good consistant sleep will most likely be my biggest struggle right now. I'm coming off of really strong pain medication and some nights I just can't sleep. I'm hoping to finally get off that crap in about a week and then after that, I can work on quitting smoking, which should let me add on a couple pounds after I stop that, and should increase my appetite.

I've officially eaten all the healthy food in the house. I have to run to the store here in a bit.

Meal 1 - light snack in early am ....peanut butter sandwich, with lots of PB of course, and a big glass of milk (probably 2-3 servings)

Meal 2 - 3 boiled eggs, large glass of milk

Meal 3 - Peanut butter sandwich, and finished off the last of the chicken/cheese/rice cassorole.

Going to the store here in a few minutes to pick up another gallon of milk, more bread, and a lot of that good ol' canned tuna and chicken.

Not sure how much more I'll eat tonight, going to at least try to get another 50 grams of protein in, right now I think it's more important that I get some rest than eating a lot. I'm going to run errands and then I'm hitting the hay to catch up on my sleep.

Tomorrow is legs. You can see how weak my legs are. Yay!

Hey you are doing very well, I just started about a week and a half ago myself, The gains you will make in the begging will be very nice, also standing at a towering 6' 4" 200 pounds should come pretty quickly with a good diet, you should be eating upwards of 3000 calories a day to gain weight. Good luck bro.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Wannabebig Member
    Ahhh...it's Wednesday. Today is supposed to be my leg day, but I'm still a little sore...going to wait on hittin' the legs for now. If I hit the squats today I won't be able to walk.

I caught back up on my sleep, I got about 13 hours.

I'm going to post my daily weight here to track my progress. All weigh-ins will be in the good ol' birthday suit.

Today is eat eat eat.

EDIT:

Change of plans. After getting moving around, I think I'm going to go ahead and hit the legs today. I'm planning on leaving town this weekend and I don't want to skip legs right now...they're so out of shape they need it. My soreness is subsiding. Not too concerned with overtraining them right now, gotta love the newbie gains.

Geez, I can't believe I'm a newbie again. lol

Will update how my workout went here in a little while. I think I'm going to hit the gym now while it's empty. I'm going very light on the squats and I'm kind of embarressed. lol
    Last edited by AssistSuper; 04-20-2005 at 07:41 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Whew! I'm really glad I went. The soreness didn't affect my lifting. But geez, what a freakin' intense workout! I'm going to build up some hoss of some legs with this.

Squats

115lbs -- 2 x 8

These weren't that bad. I was proud of my form, and did some nice deep squats. I could squat a decent amount way back when, but my form wasn't that great. I'm taking it down slightly below parallel and it feels great. I'm going to move it up to 125lbs next week.

Hack Squats

65lbs -- 2 x 8

My new favorite quad exercise! I had never done these before. I had read about them, but I had just never seen anyone doing them really and decided I would finally give it a try. Talk about a friggin' quad burner! Geez they were intense. I threw on 95lbs at first but realized very quickly that I was using too much. I dropped the weight way back and worried about my form. I turned out to be very intense. Will be bumping this up to 75lbs next week.

Lying Leg Curls

40lbs -- 2 x 8

These were pretty easy. Definately knocking that up to 50lbs for next week.

Stiff-legged Dead Lifts

75lbs -- 2 x 8

This was way too light of a weight. I didn't actually feel it in my hammys until the last couple of reps. I'm going to knock it up to 95lbs for next week.

Seated Calf Raises

45lbs -- 4 x 10

I was dissappointed with these. I was using way too little weight, and I just used the seated machine because the standing machine was crowded up. I just wanted to hit them and get on out. I'm looking forward to hitting my calves harder next week with some intensity.

Overall, a very good workout and I was pleased with myself. I hope I'm not too sore tomorrow.

I'm going to throw in some crunches here in a few minutes. Just 4 x 10 for starters. Shouldn't be too bad. I miss my 6-pack!

Looking forward to hitting shoulders, bis and tris on Friday.

Nice workout on the legs. free weight hack squats or on the smith machine?
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Wannabebig Member
    Free hack squats. Keep the bar right under my glutes and squat to parallel.

nice, im doing the smith machine ones.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Wannabebig Member
    My quads hate me. I woke up today...

Henry: Hey quads, why the hell do you hurt so bad?
    Quads: Man, cause you ain't used me in like 2 years.
    Henry: Shut up!
    Quads: *jolt of soreness*

I know once I get my scrawny chicken legs how they 'used' to be, that will add a large amount of weight to me. Legs are heavy, and I got some freakin' long ones.

I got about 9 hours of sleep last night. A nap sounds good about now.

Going to eat eat eat again.
    Recovering from a shoulder and back injury

Bulking up to start kickboxing in the fall

Current weight:

175.5lbs

My Journal

9 hours nap? wow, if only I had time to sleep 9 hours or take naps.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, well you have to take in account that I had to take this semester off for my back, and I can't work right now, friggin' doctors won't clear me to get back to work yet.

In other news, I think I took my last pain killer this morning.

I'm waiting to wake up tonight in a puddle of sweat and jittering off the walls. My diet will probably suffer for a couple days, because I'm sure I'll feel like ass. Energy levels will be non-exisistant.

Wish me luck.

Current weight:

175.5lbs

My Journal

lol good luck, man.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Hey man. Workouts looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress. And don't worry I'm the same way. I just started seriously lifting about 3 months ago and I love posting in my journal. It keeps me motivated too. And I know you can hit 200 just keep eating!
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 04-21-2005 at 09:45 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by AssistSuper
    My quads hate me. I woke up today...

Henry: Hey quads, why the hell do you hurt so bad?
    Quads: Man, cause you ain't used me in like 2 years.
    Henry: Shut up!
    Quads: *jolt of soreness*

I know once I get my scrawny chicken legs how they 'used' to be, that will add a large amount of weight to me. Legs are heavy, and I got some freakin' long ones.

I got about 9 hours of sleep last night. A nap sounds good about now.

Going to eat eat eat again.
    lol journal looks good man, best of luck...and how can I not check up on a journal sometimes when the guys' muscles actually talk to him

btw leg session looked solid
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Wannabebig Member
    lol....hell with the shape I'm in, I think I'm going to have my muscles talking to me for a while.

I'm leaving tomorrow to go over to Fayetteville, Arkansas (where I was going to school)and party with a bunch of my buddies. I'll eat as much as I can, or replace the calories with beer. lol (We all can have our cheat weekends )

I'm hitting the gym tomorrow AM...will post how my workout went when I get back. My arm and shoulder strength is somewhat still decent....still pretty weak though. Not as weak as my damn legs though. Who would have thought when you don't walk for a couple months your legs would waste away? lol

Yeesh, walking down stairs is a bitch when your quads are pissed at you. Hopefully they'll loosen up tomorrow. I'll try to jog some on the treadmill.

Well, I gotta get going...my skankass ex-girlfriend is whining to me about how much her life sucks. I wonder if she'll let me hit it?

Oh yeah...I'll be bringing my digi cam back this weekend, so you can see how scrawny I am. Yay!

Current weight:

175.5lbs

My Journal

The days after I do legs I always stretch in the AM helps with walking through the day.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Wannabebig Member
    Stretching has been my new friend.

I was pleased with today's workout. Not in the sense that I got a huge pump, but I'm just happy that I underestimated the strength of my shoulders and my arms. At least something on my body didn't go to complete hell.

Shoulders

Seated Military Press

1 X 8 - 65lbs

That was way too easy

2 x 8 - 75lbs

Still pretty easy, but no sense in overdoing it yet. 85lbs next week

Dumbbell Presses

2 x 8 - 25lbs

These were also pretty easy. Bumping up to the 30s for next week

Lateral Raises

2 x 10 - 12lbs

I went pretty light on these. Did them in very strict form, I'm going to be careful with these because they can put stress on my shoulder joint and I for damn sure ain't having another shoulder surgery. 15lbs for next week

Close Grip Bench

1 x 8 - 65lbs

This was way too easy.

2 x 8 - 75lbs

Still, pretty easy. 85lbs for next week

Skull-crushers

2 x 8 - 35lbs

I decided to go light to work on my form. It's kind of a tricky movement for me, and until I'm used to doing them, puts stress on my elbows. Stupid elbows. Going for 40lbs next week.

Barbell Curls

2 x 8 - 50lbs

Went for super strict form. Was actually pretty easy. I'm going to attempt 60 for next week. Hehe

Hammer Curls

1 x 7ish - 20lbs

What the hell. This is way too easy

1 x 8 - 25lbs

Still pretty easy. Those 30s have my name all over it next week.

All in all, a good workout. Wasn't horribley intense, but will be once I finally start hitting some challenging weights.

I've gotta get ready to head over to Arkansas, so everyone have a fun and safe weekend. Don't do anything I wouldn't do.

*crosses fingers really hard that Henry gets laid this weeked. God I need to get laid.*

Current weight:

175.5lbs

My Journal

Wow very nice workout. I agree about the Skullcrushers, i prefer the french press instead.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Wannabebig Member
    Bout to hit the road.

Thought I was post this picture for some inspiration and to add to my determination. This is the exact point my body started to go to hell, and ended my wrestling career.

I had just gotten back from the ER after totally ripping my shoulder to shreds.

Wish I was in a better postion to show my size then. I could deadlift around 350, benching about 225.....could kick anyone's ass in the wrestling room.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Current weight:

175.5lbs

My Journal

Hey man you will get back there quicker than you think. Especially with a good thorough journal for motivation. onceyou start seeing some gains you will get even more pumped togo to the gym and work your KaAaHones off
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Workout looked good. You'll be back up there in no time.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

:withstupi

skulls may be bitch to perfect form, but they are worth the time...nice session
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers