Thread: Weight belt

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar

Weight belt

I'm sure this has been asked but what do you think about using them while training? A guy I know at my gym never uses them unless he is doing a lot more than his training weight and/or is competing which is very infrequent for him. He feels they are a crutch. Currently, I use it for squats and DLs exclusively. Should I try to work it out and if so will it help strengthen other parts of my body, i.e. abs?

Lately, I've noticed me tightening the belt less and less because I'm teaching myself to keep my back arched even without it.

What do you think?

You should not be using a weight belt under any circumstances except for pre-existing injury recovery or max weight attempts (and even this is debatable regarding training). Of course, practicing using gear for competition is a different story completely.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

i use one, not because I have the wrong form or anything, but just because accidents do happen and I dont want to hurt myself.

Quote Originally Posted by hoser813
    i use one, not because I have the wrong form or anything, but just because accidents do happen and I dont want to hurt myself.
    You're setting yourself up for injury in weightlifting and everyday life if you over use a weight belt.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    You're setting yourself up for injury in weightlifting and everyday life if you over use a weight belt.

That's what this guy said. He said what if I go help my buddy move his bed and go to bend over and lift and mess it all up.

Ok, so the belt will get a rest, I'll work on form and strengthening w/o the crutch.

The Chicken Mr'ga
    i use one whenever i squat & deadlift.. and for heavy standing shoulder pressing.
    For every $1 you donate to the "buy Lude more weight plates foundation", you will help add 1kg to my 1RM.

<spam> Journal </spam>

Current Stats: 85kg @ 13.6%
    Goal: 87-88kg @ 8-9%
    Goal Due Date: 1/12/05

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    I've never used one. Knock on wood- no problems yet. I have had non-gym issues with my back before I began strengthening it. Been smooth sailing since (with the occasional bad turn/ sleep position).
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

I agree they are a crutch. I gather once you start using one in normal training, and go up in weights for the likes of DLs, you'll always need one. You'll be strong enough to lift big, without the back to allow you to use that strength, and probably lift something heavy without a belt and injure it.

I've never thought of using one. I'd rather train my lower back.
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)