The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Dont like doing deadlifts with barbell.. can I do with DB?

will it work the same muscles..? i dont like barbell cuz it gets in the way of my legs when im lifting it and puts mega strain on my back.. i wanna switch to DB

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Work on your form, you won't find heavy enough dumbbells once you get good at them. The bar is suppossed to travel up your legs, my shins are always a little bruised and raw after my DL day.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Work on your form with BB. If it puts a mega strain on your back you either need to arch your back more or squat down more.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

You could also try a different stance. Like sumo if doing conventional or conventioal if doing sumo.

Age-17
    Height-5'8.5"
    Weight-160

Maxes as of-5/26/05
    Bench-205x3(estimated 225)
    Squat-305x1
    Deadlift(sumo)-335x1
    Hang Clean-225x3(estimated 245)

Check out my journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=65381

well can I do db for now? until i feel comftable again doing it normally?

Yes you can, but there really isn't a point. Just keep working on your form.

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

well ive been doing this with db http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/DBSquat.html and i thought i was doing db deadlifts all along wtf.. what does db deadlift look like?

That's a DB squat i believe.

Just do 75 or 85 lbs BB and get used to the form. It'll benefit you. Buy soccer socks.. knee-high socks... if you must protect your shins.

There is almost no different between a DB Deadlift and a DB Squat. You can try DB SLDL if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    There is almost no different between a DB Deadlift and a DB Squat. You can try DB SLDL if you want.

Wel, sorta. I guess it can be said that they are the same but depending on where the load is (side or front) can make a dramtic difference in how the muscles are used. IMO, having the db's in front will cause you to use lower back and erectors more to straighten up, whereas if the Db's are on the sides, it becomes more like a front squat (less back/lower back, more legs).

Girn, you need to start lighter and work with your form with deads. You're lower back might get a good pump with enough volume, but it shouldn't be "killing" you. Besides, most gyms only go up tp 150 lb (maybe, my gym only has 100's) db's. That's nothing in the grand scheme of deadlifting. As Ronnie Coleman says..."Light Weight!".
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Lets say you Max DL on barbell is 200 which is pretty light, already you will have trouble finding 100lb dumells, and the higher you go the harder it will get to get those dumbells
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

yo girn, don't ditch the BB.
    just don't man.
    try sumo stance. put your legs wide and your arms along the inside of your legs sort of, it takes a bit of effort to get up but afterwards it just slides the rest of the rep.
    delete this account

I like doing db sldl every once in a while but I have never done a regular deadlift with a db. I agree with everyone else, stick with the bb man