The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Suggestions???

Suggestions???

Well seein as how this is my first post on this board I should break the ice with a little background info about myself. Im 18 yrs old and im going into my last few months of highschool. Im about 5'10-11 and my weight is now upwards of 300lbs. It seems over the course of the last 5 years Ive really packed on the pounds (in both good and bad ways). The reason, I think, for my insane weight gain can be partially blamed on my introduction to high school football. I started out in 7th grade on pretty much a joke basis. I wasn't really serious about it, skipped about half the practices and really only put effort into the lifting aspect. I would say I was around 14 at the time. We didnt lift often and I dont remember my accomplishments at all but I do remember from around 8th grade.

Beginning of 8th grade football i was benching about 150 lbs around 3-4 times and dont remember a whole lot about squating or deadlifting except that both were over 200lbs for a 1rm. I weighed about 220lbs.

Over the next summer I was taken away from elementary football and placed into the high school program and the coach put me on a speical summer workout plan and a special diet. At the end of the summer I was benching about 205lbs 1rm and squating/deadlifting around 285-290 lbs 1rm in each. My weight went from about 220 to around 250-255 but i was noticably stronger.

The next summer my coach started giving us these "power bars" in the weight room for after we finished our lift and gave us some to take home and use in the mornings and at night before bed. That summer my bench went from 205 to about 255-260 lbs and squats/deadlift went to about 350-360 lbs 1rm. That was at the end of my 10th grade football season. I weighed almost 280 lbs at that time and my 40 yard dash time went down from a 6.0 in 9th grade to a 5.6 in 10th grade.

I quit football for my 11th grade year for family reasons but still managed to lift but my cardio did take a blow from quitting football. Before I rejoined football for my 12th grade year I weighed 290 odd pounds and I was benching just over 300 lbs. My squats and deadlifts were well over 450 lbs both being real close to 500 for 1rm. I finished out the season and now I lift at the local gym. Having quit lifting for about 6 months my bench 1rm is now down around 295-300 lbs and my squat/dl 1rm is down around 400lbs each.

So now long story short im curious at my age just what im capable of and what is realistic in the short to mid future. My dream was to be able to bench press 500 lbs at the age of 23 which gives me about 5 years from now. I wanted to get my deadlift and squats over 700lbs each. This is without a bench shirt or any other "tools" like that. Im thinking of takeing protein again as Ive only taken it the summer of my 10th grade year. Ive heard alot of people say its a real accomplishment of what ive done without protein for a long time and I wanted to know from experienced guys if it will make that big a difference. But are my goals realistic. Putting 200lbs on my bench and adding almost 300 on my squat/deadlift.... minding that I workout 5 days a week M W F upperbody TT legs/lower body and that I will start takeing protein if its a good idea... also that im heading into college and i dont have much a social life so ill have loads of time to lift (about 4 good years worth).
    Last edited by WBBIRL; 04-09-2005 at 04:28 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    Protein power (whey) is just food. If your protein intake is to low go ahead get some whey, but whey itself isn't gonna make difference.
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Really alot of people told me that protein is really important no matter what kind and ive heard whey is the best. Some one once described it as building muscles without protein is like trying to build a house without lumber...... so is he really that far off???

Also i should mention that those one rep maxes in my first post are after workouts... usually something like 145x10 185x8 205x6 225x4 and then 260x1 or something like that.

I did have one other question about my leg lifts... see i do them on thursday and tuesdays so they have like a week in between the thursday lift until the tuesday lift which im begginning to think is really bad??? any advice on that???

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Really alot of people told me that protein is really important no matter what kind and ive heard whey is the best. Some one once described it as building muscles without protein is like trying to build a house without lumber...... so is he really that far off???
    Yeah and thats basically what he just told you...... Protien is protien..... If you get enough protien through chicken, steaks, etc..... then whey is not needed.... Whey is an easy way of packing in 30-40g of protien to get where you need to be.....

Also Whey simply absorbs quicker is all..... it's best used first thing in the morning or right after a workout when your muscle are starving for fuel....
    My Journal

My Pictures and Stats

From Boondock Saints
    Conner MacManus: Jesus! He brought a six-shooter! Murphy MacManus: There were nine of them, you retard! What were you going to do with the last three, laugh them to death? Funny man?

Oh well then i guess i interperted what he psoted wrong... but thats what i thought. And through my normal eating i wouldent get even close to 80g of protein a day. And I heard i should be getting around 175-200 g a day. I know that when i go to college i can alter my diet alot and should be getting around 150g a day easily. Right now i barely ever eat anything rich in protein except for chicken and tuna. When i go to college my diet will consist mainly of chicken, stake, and tuna with some other kinds of beef also. I also tend to eat alot of deer meat which i like to think is lean filler, fills you up and is nothing but good for you.

But thanks to both you guys for the info.

well look at a nice size chicken breast... it packs around 40 sometimes 50g of protien...eat three to 4 of these a day and you already have enough protien.....Also lookat a can of tuna 15g per serving 2.5 servings per container there is almost 40g so if you can;t get in over 80g of protien i would check your diet because it sounds like you're prolly eating a ton of carbs and fats with little or no meat...... A very easy diet for me to keep on involves whole grain/ wild rice, chicken, olive oil, peanut butter, milk, salad and some weight gainer
    My Journal

My Pictures and Stats

From Boondock Saints
    Conner MacManus: Jesus! He brought a six-shooter! Murphy MacManus: There were nine of them, you retard! What were you going to do with the last three, laugh them to death? Funny man?

You guys are totally forgetting about biological value (BV). Meats have much lower BV's as opposed to whey or egg proteins and thus are much harder to absorb. All proteins are not created equal. If you eat 50 grams worth of beef protein you're lucky to absorb 40 grams.

You weigh 300lbs right? You need 300 grams of protein per day in my opnion. 200grams won't cut it and 150 grams will probably have you in protein deficit. I weigh 220lbs and I eat 250-300grams of protein a day.

Now to get 300 grams of protein you'd have to eat 2.8lbs of beef or drink 25 glasses of milk or eat 2lbs of chicken....all of those are about equivalent to 300grams of protein. I don't know about you but I could not stomach that much meat and have room left over for any other food. On the other hand you could just drink three 50 gram protein shakes and eat 1lb of chicken. I'm just throwing numbers out there.
    I am often asked by people at the gym "How do I lose fat from my tummy so my abs will show"
    My standard answer: "Get drunk and find yourself a sharp knife"

Bodyweight: 205lbs
    400lb Bench
    350lb Incline Bench
    605lb Deadlift
    285lb Push Press

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    you know your stuff.. TheMachine. Other than your diet, your workout looks to be right. Good luck
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

Hey thanks Pfc3rex!! Good luck in Iraq, come home safe bro!
    I am often asked by people at the gym "How do I lose fat from my tummy so my abs will show"
    My standard answer: "Get drunk and find yourself a sharp knife"

Bodyweight: 205lbs
    400lb Bench
    350lb Incline Bench
    605lb Deadlift
    285lb Push Press

Usedtobebig Member
    WBBIRL
    Your weights are good for 18. You have loads of time to get stronger but I think you need to get a bit of cardio done to get the excess weight down. Supplementing a diet with protein shakes will help you keep the food intake down a bit but still get enough protein.
    Your legs sessions are plenty at 2 times a week. I only train my legs hard every 7 to 10 days, to get enough recovery, with only light work in between.
    Train with your brain not your heart

Well I do know that i need alot more but i cant afford anything more then 100g a day of whey protein. Id go through an average size container which costs around 35 dollars in around 10 days. I know chicken breast and tuna have loads of protein and thats how i plan on getting alot of it and I love to eat both so their will be no problem there. I can eat around 4-5 chicken breasts in one sitting and their around 40-50g protein each like you said. I put tuna in soups alot and when that foods available to me I get 200g+ of protein easily but as I dont have a job that foods not always on the menu. For the most part my diet is alot higher in carbs and fats then id like it to be and once i can get a decent job ill change that.

milk, cottage cheese, eggs, Nitrean, are all your friends. I probally wouldnt advise hitting up 4-5 chicken breasts in a sitting. I, for one, would spew lol, personally, i would spread those 4-5 breasts over a few meals.

Eh.... at my age and weight I could down at least 3 and not think about it. Id probably go with 2 a meal 3 times a day and have one odd meal of somthing else. I know that i need alot of protein but at this poitn i cant afford that much whey power. Ima get some choco nitrean and take 2-3 shakes of that and see how it goes.

Do that voodoo that he do
    There's all kinds of cheap protein threads in the Diet and Nutrition forum.

If you're on a budget you'll find eggs/egg whites to be your friend.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

well my income at this point is non existant... so im looking to get the most i can without supplmentation however it wont be possible to get anywhere near the ammount i need without of some form of protein supplemet.

Im curious as to how much quicker i gain with it then without it.

you can get enough protein without a supplement, if you cant afford it. Gerenally tho, per gram of protein, supplements and food end up costing about the same amount.

anyway, be smart. get weekly fliers for a number of local supermarkets, and buy stuff on sale. recently, skinless boneless chicken breasts were on sale for $1.99/lb. I stocked up and froze the extra.

Yea ive just about convinced my parents to buy more of that stuff.... I asked if they could get me 10 bags of chicken breasts and 75 cans of tuna every month, they said they'd think about it and depending on the cost i may have to help out a little if they do agree to doing it. Either way im going to need some kind of supplement because im going to need concentraited proteins for at night and in the mornings because I dont get that much in the foods i eat then.
    Last edited by WBBIRL; 04-14-2005 at 01:41 PM.

short term goals

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    So now long story short im curious at my age just what im capable of and what is realistic in the short to mid future. My dream was to be able to bench press 500 lbs at the age of 23 which gives me about 5 years from now. I wanted to get my deadlift and squats over 700lbs each. This is without a bench shirt or any other "tools" like that. Im thinking of takeing protein again as Ive only taken it the summer of my 10th grade year. Ive heard alot of people say its a real accomplishment of what ive done without protein for a long time and I wanted to know from experienced guys if it will make that big a difference. But are my goals realistic. Putting 200lbs on my bench and adding almost 300 on my squat/deadlift.... minding that I workout 5 days a week M W F upperbody TT legs/lower body and that I will start takeing protein if its a good idea... also that im heading into college and i dont have much a social life so ill have loads of time to lift (about 4 good years worth).
    If I'm responding to the same guy sorry for being a pain (edit: sorry, I'm NOT trying to troll you...), but I think you'll reach your goals a lot more quickly if you start competing... You'll meet a lot of like-minded, very strong people who can give you all kinds of advice, not to mention motivation...

Working out 5x/week is fine, but I don't know many people who can go hard 5x/week unless they are on the juice or have built up a great GPP. Most beginners are fine w. 3-4x/week. Get outside of the gym that one day and get a life - it will probably help you in the gym!
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-25-2005 at 03:16 PM. Reason: added text
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member

amount of protein

I, myself was a large kid. I'm only 25 now, but had very similar lifting numbers growing up and then as a shot and hammer thrower. I definetly dont think as it was suggested above that you would need 1g of protein per/lb of body weight. That is a great suggestion, but only when based on lean body mass. For someone you height and weight that may be more like 225 lb of absolute lean mass. I would (and have) aim for a balanced zone type diet of 40% carb, 30%protein and 30 percent fat. this is probably the best all round nutrient ratio for athletes. Based on that i'd suggest 220-240 g of protein 300 g of carbs and 80 g of fat (from nut and fish) per day. This will probably lean you out, and keep your energy hi.

If your going to be a power/strength athlete, eat like one. If you want to be a bloated bodybuilder half the year and spend the rest of your time dieting, do that. But its your entire diet that is key.
    god hates a quiter

Well I went to the doctor and got my lean body mass calculated. My lean body mass is around 235-240... slightly more then you suggested. I would think that its about the ammount I should be consuming. I plan on playing college football if i get taken and if not ill just continue power lifting. I eat good but I need to cut out the little bits of junk here and there. I plan on running before I do legs on tuesdays and thursdays. Im still makeing good gains without protein suppliments. I just benched yesterday and I repped 275 5 times, then droped to 250 for 2 sets of 5 then finished it out with 3 sets of 5 reps at 230lbs. I fell thats a good improvement so far.