Thread: 2x25min cardio vs. 1x45min cardio

Dumb doesn't work

2x25min cardio vs. 1x45min cardio

yo, I'm trying to figure out what would be a better solution for cardio (I'm trying to replace running with low-impact aerobics so I don't **** up my knees ). Would doing 2 25 minute cardio sessions - one in the morning and one at night be more beneficial than just one long 45 minute session? thanks in advance!
    Height: 6'0" Current bodyweight: 187 lbs

Lifts:
    Bench - 3x8 reps @ 205
    Squat - 3x10 reps @ 285
    Deadlift - 3x8 reps @ 235

Goal for boxing: Powerful as a heavyweight, Fast as a lightweight.

I wannabebig!
    yes if you are trying to burn more calores as you are doing 5 more minutes if you do 2x25 sessions opposed to 1 45 minute session

The intensity of the session also is a big factor in the calorie-burning. Resistance on the elliptical, or incline on the treadmill, makes a huge difference.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Hardcore
    Going longer on a treadmill or any other cardio machine doesn't mean that you are going to burn any more calories. Time is not the issue. Like Mrelwooddowd said. It is all about intensity.

Quick example. I use the Concept 2 (Old School) Row Machine at the gym I work at. I use it for 20 minutes twice a week. I will challenge anyone to this test. See if you can sustain my intensity level on the Row Machine while running on a treadmill. In the end, if I row for 20 minutes, and you run for 45 minutes, I guarantee you, I will get a better workout every freakin time because of the intensity that I use.

It doesn't matter how long you do your cardio workout, all you need to focus on is the intensity, and if you do it right, whether you are on a row machine, treadmill, elliptical, etc. the shorter duration the better. Plus because you aren't going to be on the cardio equipment for a long time than normal, your risk of screwing your knees up, or injurying yourself also goes down big time.

So in the end, like I tell everyone on here. DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. If you want to double up on cardio instead of 1 all out session, do that. In my case, I want to get the cardio session over as quick as I can, and I don't want to look at that freakin Row Machine for the rest of the day.
    "I workout to music that makes me want to stomp on baby kittens." -David "Kick Ass" Davis

"The intended manipulation of mechanical work applied in order to stimulate a specific metabolic response."
    -Dr. Ben Bocchocchio on the Definition of Exercise

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Cutting sucks
    What's "cutting"? Reducing fat %?

I'm no expert, but I thought there was a cutoff point where the duration of the cardio greatly effects the gains in actual cardiovascular ability. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was right about 30-35 mins (I'm sure everyone is different).

If you're trying to just burn calories I'm sure all the statements above are correct and 2 shorter sessions would be more ideal (they might also help save your knees, I'm not sure what your problem with the knees is, though). But if endurance and cardiovascular improvements were what I was after rather than burning calories, I'd opt for the longer session. It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish by running.

Try swimming if your knees are an issue. Just a thought.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

or jumping rope. Very effective cardio, and not much impact on your knees.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    The intensity of the session also is a big factor in the calorie-burning. Resistance on the elliptical, or incline on the treadmill, makes a huge difference.

Could speed on the treadmill be considered intensity instead of incline? I like doing HIIT on the treadmill alternating speeds for 20-25 minutes.

Hardcore
    Speed and incline both help determine intensity when you are talking about treadmill efficiency. You need to be going fast, and you need to be at an incline throughout the duration of the session. Running on a flat angle is ok, but to get more out of the workout, you should always use some sort of incline angle.
    "I workout to music that makes me want to stomp on baby kittens." -David "Kick Ass" Davis

"The intended manipulation of mechanical work applied in order to stimulate a specific metabolic response."
    -Dr. Ben Bocchocchio on the Definition of Exercise

Quote Originally Posted by ABDomega
    Could speed on the treadmill be considered intensity instead of incline? I like doing HIIT on the treadmill alternating speeds for 20-25 minutes.
    i dont know how you do HIIT on a treadmill.... by the time the treadmill gets up to speed, my "intensity interval" is already over

I do HIIT on two treadmills side by side, set at different speeds.

It's a little tricky mounting and dismounting, but it works...

OMG... Treadmill hogzorz!

My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

Yeah, and I always feel like Fred Flintstone starting his car when I hop onto the fast one - grab the handles, start running in the air, engage...

Dumb doesn't work
    I don't really have any knee problems but my family has the history. So I really don't want to tempt fate. The only other reason I'm concerned is I've had a knee injury before. I'm not sure what it was - it might have been bursitis or runner's knee. Not really sure. I couldn't really bend my knee because of the pain - had to keep it straight. I'm taking a lap swimming class right now - swim almost 30 laps a day. But I don't get much of a cardio workout from the swimming. It feels like it's more of a muscle activity than cardiovascular.Anyway, im gonna hop on the elliptical - I just woke up after a 12 hour sleep...
    Height: 6'0" Current bodyweight: 187 lbs

Lifts:
    Bench - 3x8 reps @ 205
    Squat - 3x10 reps @ 285
    Deadlift - 3x8 reps @ 235

Goal for boxing: Powerful as a heavyweight, Fast as a lightweight.