The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Muscle Bound

shoulders then chest

ok ive posted up a thread a week ago asking about needed help building my chest up... i got many replies and thank all who contributed...

however i just would like to know if any1 has ever trained shoulders first then chest??? to pre fatigue the shoulders so benching was more direct on my chest.,... i have big deltoids and as a result my chest suffers cause my shoulders take the majority of the weight..

any comments please

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I find it extraordinarily difficult to lift to my satisfaction when chest and shoulders are on the same day. I prefer to give my shoulders their own day.

Doing this has given me bigger shoulders than I probably should have when weighing in my other lifts - but its nothing to complain about except that other groups haven't grown as fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass
    ok ive posted up a thread a week ago asking about needed help building my chest up... i got many replies and thank all who contributed...

however i just would like to know if any1 has ever trained shoulders first then chest??? to pre fatigue the shoulders so benching was more direct on my chest.,... i have big deltoids and as a result my chest suffers cause my shoulders take the majority of the weight..

any comments please

Can you military press more than bench? Can you DB shoulder press more than DB bench press? If so, then you should pre-fatigue your shoulders. If not, then don't worry about it.

If your shoulders are taking the majority of the weight, then check your form. Also, stop incline pressing, if you do it (way more shoulder involment, less chest).
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

i've never heard of pre fatigueing a muscle group... in what circumstances would this be benificial?

I thought pre-fatiging was used on the target muscle. So to intensify the chest workout, pre-fatigue with DB flys, and you could try decline for both the flys and bench. And drop any inclines on chest days.
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

Quote Originally Posted by ancom41
    i've never heard of pre fatigueing a muscle group... in what circumstances would this be benificial?
    Technique used to help the smaller muscles. So say your triceps/shoulders wear out long before your chest does when benching, as IRN posted, you'd isolate your chest (fly of some kind) then do your benching. You won't be able to lift as much, your now evened in as far as strength goes between weaker muscles (triceps/shoulders) and stronger muscles (pecs).

This can be applied to most compound lifts. Squats, prefatigue quads to help the lower back. Chins, fatigue the lats to help arms (forearms, biceps, grip).
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Muscle Bound
    thanks for all the replies i will ditch the incline benching and concentrate more on the flat benching... and add some declines also...

i will give it a whurl...

and it was only an idea lol...

but my shoulder press is 60K and my flat bench is 80K not much difference really is there ? lol

thanks all

Wannabebig Member
    I took out the shoulder presses in my shoulder workout for two weeks to let everything else even out.

I still did shoulders, just more fronts, sides, shrugs, upright rows, etc...

Thanks
    Dustin
    5'9" 208lbs BP 205 Squat 240 Deadlift 305