Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginning A New Chapter

Slaughter of the Soul METALASIAN's Avatar

Beginning A New Chapter

Hey, I decided to make a journal on this website since everyone is very helpful, and so I could keep track of my progress. Currently I am..

Height: 5'7" (Short)
    Weight: 153 lbs.
    BF: I'd say 15-18%

and very asian.

Today was Chest/Bi's/Tri's (Warmups not listed)

Flat BB Bench Press
    125x6
    130x5
    135x4
    140x4

DB Flyes
    25x9
    25x8
    30x7

Incline DB Press
    40x5
    40x4
    35x4

(Tricep) Dips
    BWx6
    BWx5
    BWx4

Hammer Curls
    30x8
    30x9

Any advice would be helpful as I am still new to the game. Thanks.

Today was...

Back and Shoulders
    Deadlifts
    185x8
    195x7
    205x5
    185x5

Bent Rows
    115x6
    95x6
    95x10

Still experimenting with these and trying to figure out the form and what weight I am comfortable with.

Pullups
    BWx7
    BWx5
    BWx4

I'm thinking I may need to use the Assissted Pullup Machine until I can hold out BWx8 on all 3 sets.

Arnold Presses supersetted w/ Lateral Raises
    35x10 15x8
    35x9 15x8
    35x7 15x6

I got this idea from Built, as my shoulders are something I want to get nice, thick, and wide. I think I need to work on form for Lateral Raises. My right lateral delt seems to be taking it a lot more than my left, and its already slightly larger in size.

Face Pulls
    I just BSed these and fooled around with the weight to see what would be comfortable. Form is a bit off as well.

Thoughts
    It was a decent session. Still finding my comfort zone and form with the exercises. Any advice is welcome! I'm thinking about getting an mp3 player (possibly an Ipod) for my gym escapades... but I don't know jack about those.. any help would be appreciated. Oh, and does anyone have any good recipes for making Chicken Breasts more interesting?

Matt04
    Hey man, congrats on the journal this will keep u motivated.

ur sessions are looking strong, as for the iPod i have one but i dont take it to the gym because i know alot of ppl there and i always find someone to talk to. but yeah its a good idea if ur bored and u want something to pump you up.

good work my asian brother.

its good to see you starting early. are you doing sports? you should definitely be taking advantage of that in high school.

anyway, your workouts look good... stick with big compound movements and go heavy. you will see some sick gains since youre still young and have good recovery time.

btw, hows your routine look?

Thanks guys!

@ Debussy. No I am not currently doing any sports, next year I am thinking of taking up one, possibly track. Awesome to see more asians. As for my routine.. here goes

Day 1 (Sunday): Chest & Arms
    Flat BB Bench Press x 4
    Incline DB Press x 3
    DB Flyes x 3
    (Tricep) Dips x 3
    Hammer Curls x 2

Day 2 (Tuesday): Legs & Abs
    Squats x 4
    SLDL x 3
    Standing Calf Raise x 3
    Hanging Leg Raise x 3
    Ab Machine x 2

Day 3 (Thursday): Shoulders & Back
    Deadlifts x 4
    Bent Over BB Rows x 3
    Pullups x 3
    Arnold Press (supersetted w/ Lateral Raise) x 3
    Face Pull x 2

If you haven't noticed, the workouts are generally a 4,3,3,3,2 scheme, with the 4 set exercise being the large compound movement of the day.

Today was...

Chest, Triceps, Biceps

Flat BB Bench
    125x8
    130x6
    135x4
    140x3

Incline DB Press
    35x14
    40x7
    40x8

DB Flyes
    20x11
    25x9
    25x8

(Tricep) Dips
    BWx8
    BWx7
    BWx5

Seated Hammer Curl
    30x8
    30x4

Thoughts!
    It was decent. My bench reps went down a little bit, but I've been doing a lot.. saw a show this weekend.. (Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, Mnemic, Circle of Nero) Best time I've ever had, seeing my 2 of my favorite bands (Soilwork, and Dark Tranquillity, afterwards I went around back and got an autograph from Mikael of DT, definitely cool. Also, pics coming soon to a WBB journal near you.

Sounds like a good show. Where did they play? Pics will be good too... I haven't been to a show in at least a couple years. Getting old :\

It was at the Jaxx in Springfield, VA. (I live in Richmond) I take it you like metal? or no? Haha, that's cool. Thanks for the comments.

Today was Legs/Abs. Session got cut short cause my ride had to do something. Crammed in all that I could; had to skip Leg Raises and SLDL's.

Squats (Nearly ATF)
    175x7
    185x6
    185x5 (was drained by this point)
    135x10

Seated Calf Raise
    90x15
    90x20
    90x20

Ab Machine
    50x20
    60x17

Thoughts
    Kinda crappy workout but oh well. Still getting used to Squats.. lord they are taxing. The reason why its not quite ATF so far is because I am short (5'7") and the safety bars at the squat racks at my gym aren't quite short enough, but I'm only maybe 2 or 3 inches away I suppose.
    Might be exchanging direct hammy work for some other quad exercise, probably leg press; deads on back day are killing them already, I think any other work wouldn't be a good idea at this point.

Any feedback/comments/flames/whatever is welcome.
    Last edited by METALASIAN; 05-03-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Good workout. Your squat is not bad at all. Doing SLDL and deads all in one week is probably bad for strength gains. I'd do some close stance good mornings after your squats to work the hams. If you don't like good mornings, you can also do pull throughs, romanian deadlifts (less stress on back), ghr, 45* back raise, and list goes on. Hams are important, don't overlook them.

Went back to the gym today for back/shoulders...

Deadlifts
    185x9 (+1r)
    195x7
    205x6 (+1r)
    205x3

Last set was slow and concentrated on form. I realized that towards the end of the heavier sets my legs would lock out before my back was upright. I need to work on form. Also, DL's aren't hitting my traps or anything like poeple have mentioned... need to keep working on form..

BB Rows
    115x10
    115x8
    105x9

Surprisingly, I think my Bi's are my weakest link in this exercise.. as I feel as if they are getting worked faster and harder than my back actually is, therefore limiting my actual back work. Need to do something about this.

Pullups
    BWx4
    BWx3
    Neutral/Parallel Grip w/ 30 lbs. assistance x 6

****, I couldn't do these worth ****.

Arnold Press ss with Lateral Raise
    40'sx11(+5w +1r)
    40'sx5
    35'sx7

15'sx10
    15'sx8
    15'sx8

Holy ****, something happened and my weight shot up on the first set. I was stoked.

Thoughts
    Overall, a pretty decent workout. Happy about the Arnold Press weight increase though.

Didn't do any rear delt work as BB rows hit them pretty hard, thinking about throwing out Face Pulls and taking Hammer Curls from Chest/Arms day and putting them on back day. As you can see routine is still being tampered around with until I get something that works for me.

Need to work on form with deadlifts. I'm confused about what I should be doing at lockout... Oh well.
    Weight:160 lbs.
    Height: 5'7"

So this is it, my time to live.

Good workouts. I wouldnt worry about little exercises like face pulls. I messed around with them for a while and I didn't really find them useful. Stick with the deadlifts and BB rows for a huge back. The deadlift took me a long time to feel comfortable with. I'm still not completely comfortable with conventional style (missing leg drive)... but I feel comfortable with sumo. Maybe give sumo a try?
    Last edited by debussy; 05-07-2005 at 01:59 PM.

Hmm. I may give sumo a try.. however I'm mainly doing DL's as a lower back exercises, and isn't sumo style supposed to shift more of the work onto the legs?

Not really sure where I feel the sumo's. I just know that I feel stronger that way and that's all that matters to me. If you want even greater development... do sumo AND conventional... you can't really go wrong that way. Doing the same exercise every week will leave you stale, so why not switch it up.

Decided to change it up a little bit and go with a push/legs/pull routine.. as my previous routine (by bodyparts) was almost completely push/legs/pull anyways

BB Bench Press
    125x9 (+1r)
    130x8 (+1r)
    135x6 (+2r)
    140x5 (+1r)

Hellz yeah.

DB Flyes
    30'sx8 (+1r)
    30'sx5
    25'sx8

Incline DB Press
    40'sx8
    40'sx7
    40'sx6

Arnold Press
    40'sx6
    35'sx5
    30'sx8

Noticeably less shoulder strength here, obviously because of the shortened rest period between last workout and the move to the same day with chest. Not bad though, I guess.

(Tricep) Dips
    BWx7
    BWx5
    BWx3 (Triceps completely dead)

Thoughts
    Stoked about the great gains on BB Bench. Everything else was decent, yet still pretty good. Thinking about adding a set or 2 of CG Bench to end the session next time. Still working towards that Ipod.

Today, legs/abs

Squats
    165x9 (I felt stupid, I accidentally forgot to load an extra 10 on one side; I was wondering why it felt so weird, haha)
    185x8 (+2r)
    195x6 (+10w)
    195x4

Leg Press
    1ppsx20
    2ppsx10
    2ppsx10

First time doing these, I like 'em. By the way, these are those 45 degree Leg Presses not the machine ones that right in front of you.

Leg Curls
    70x6
    60x5

First time doing these in a while as my gym took out the old machine and I had just realized there was a new one. Machine felt awkward and is probably a little too big for me but oh well. After a few reps I started getting sharp hip pains...

Seated Calf Raise
    125x12
    125x10

I could've done more, but the hip pains from Leg Curls come back.

Ab Machine
    70x20 (+10w +3r)
    80x10 (+10w)

Thoughts
    Overall a kinda crappy session. Skipped a few sets cause of the hip pains. Sucks. However, was pretty pleased with the small increases on my Squat.
    Last edited by METALASIAN; 05-09-2005 at 08:22 PM.

Pull (back)

Deadlift
    185x10 (+1r)
    195x8 (+1r)
    205x6
    215x5 (+10w)

Pullups
    BWx7
    BWx5
    BWx3

Did these before BB Rows.

BB Rows
    115x10
    125x12 (+10w +2r)
    125x7

Lateral Raise
    20'sx9 (+5w)
    20'sx8
    20'sx7

DB Curls
    30'sx5
    25'sx8

Thoughts
    Decent workout. Still sucking on the pullups.

Push

BB Bench
    130x10 (+2r)
    135x9 (+3r)
    140x6 (+1r)
    147.5x3 (haha accidentally left a 2.5 on one of the sides, 2nd time now)

Good gains.

DB Flyes
    25'sx12 (+3r)
    30'sx7
    30'sx8

Incline DB Press
    95x10 (Did this on BB (first time) cause some guy had been using the DB bench for forever)
    40'sx10 (+2r)
    45'sx4 (+5w)

(Tricep) Dips
    BWx7
    BWx4

Thoughts
    Was good and bad. I was getting good gains at the beginning but towards the end I was dead. Skipped Arnold Press's cause of this.

Legs

Squats
    185x8
    195x6
    195x5
    185x6

Leg Press
    2ppsx20 (+10r)
    3ppsx10 (+w)

Thoughts
    Today SUCKED. After a Squats and a few sets of Leg Press I didn't feel so hot... so I sat down.. after five minutes I proceded to walk up to the nearest trashcan and throw up all over the place. Ugh. Feel a lot better now though. Went to Bruster's for some ice cream after the incident.

Banned
    Looking real soild there...How often do you max..I love to max as often as I see I am ready keeps you good and well motivated...at any rate lookin good bro keep it up

Pull

Deadlifts
    195x10 (+2r)
    205x8 (+2r)
    215x6 (+1r)
    225x4(+10w)

Feels damn good to break 2 plates.

Pullups (OH/NU/UH)
    BWx6
    BWx5
    BWx5

Suckage.

Bent Rows
    115x13
    125x10
    125x7
    115x8

I don't get this exercise.. I'm not feeling it at all in my back, I'm guessing something with my form.. I don't know but I'm pissed. I even lowered the weight this time to practice form but still nothing.From now its form form form for this.

Lateral Raise
    20'sx10 (+1r)
    20'sx5

Cable Curls
    40x6
    30x8
    30x5

Thoughts
    Deadlifts were great.. everything else sucked. End of story.

@ Gutz: Haven't maxed at all yet. I would love to max to see my numbers and where I am, however I'm just too damn lazy. Maybe I'll give it a try next week.. any pointers you'd like to make?

Banned
    Use chalk, plant your feet think of something that pisses you off and start pulling man...Oh and Don't use your arms to pull let them dangle use all back...But I did want to comment on your bentover rows I do those all the time and love them I feel great after everyset its a natural high that never gets old...anyway Keep your elbows tucked into your sides feel it way more good luck bro doin great

Push

BB Bench Press
    135x10 (+1r)
    140x7 (+1r)
    145x4 (+5w)

Incline DB
    40'sx11 (+1r)
    45'sx5
    45'sx4

Arnold Press
    35'sx5
    30'sx8
    30'sx7

CG Bench
    95x4
    85x7
    85x5

CG bench is pathetic, but it was my first time doing it. Plus tri's are usually absolutely murdered at this point of the workout

Thoughts
    Didn't have that much time to work out so I made it quick. Skipped the DB Flyes this time. Overall, session wasn't the best but I guess it was alright for a day where I had to work for 5 hours and couldn't eat that much.

Great workouts. I like to see the constant gains you are making. You'll be a monster in no time.

About the BB rows... don't worry too much about form. As long as you don't turn them into standing BB rows.... it's all good. Just pile on the weight and go heavy. All the greats have used this exercise and go heavy on it. Anyway, keep up the good work.

Gutz: Thanks for the advice man, I'll keep that in mind next time I'm going heavy.

Debussy Thanks bro, always good motivation and advice. You're a monster yourself, it'd be awhile till I got anywhere near your strength.

hell day (legs)

Squats
    185x10 (+2r)
    195x7 (+1r)
    205x4 (+10w)

Broke 200! Definitely could've squeezed another rep or 2 in with the 205 but at the fourth rep I could tell my form was deteriorating, so I stopped before my Squats became good mornings.

Leg Press
    3ppsx11 (+1r)
    160psx6 (+25ws)
    3ppsx10

Leg Curls
    Screwy so I didn't record anything.

Seated Calf Raise
    125x20 (+8r)
    125x15 (+3r)
    125x15 (+3r)

Thoughts
    Overall a decent workout. Relieved about the Squats as last week sucked. Other than that all went well.
    Last edited by METALASIAN; 05-24-2005 at 07:09 PM.