Thread: Long or Short Cardio Sessions

Wannabebig Member

Long or Short Cardio Sessions

Hi I noticed in another post some of you said do a short cardio session. I'm currently cutting and need to lose 15 more pounds. I run 3 to 4 times a week about 45min each time which is 3.5miles at 5mph. Should I maybe only run 2 miles at a faster spped for 25 min or so instead? I also workout around 4 times a week.

Thanks in advance

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Randy,

You could try HIIT for some of your cardio instead of the 45 minute jogs.

:withstupi

If you see decent results with cardio, HIIT will improve on those. I love HIIT when I need to cut. Just remember to kick your ass when you are at the intense part, you really need to coach and discipline yourself but the results will pay off. One 20-25 minute session and nearly 3 miles later on the treadmill works for me. I will do them 2-3 times a week when cutting.

GL

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar

Wannabebig Member
    Around how many calories does that burn if you do a 20 min session?

Hardcore
    Do shorter sessions at a high intensity. There is no way you should be doing cardio for more than 35-40 minutes at a time. If you can do that, or if you are doing that, you aren't working hard enough. Increase the speed, and the incline, and you will see results in a shorter time period.

But remember. Cardio isn't the key element in losing weight. Diet, and strength training are. Cardio should be used as a small supplement to diet and strength training. If you believe that cardio is the answer for losing weight, do a observation next time you go to the gym. Look at the body types of people using cardio compared to people strength training, and in almost ever example, the people strength training will

(1) Be in better shape.
    (2) Look better.
    (3) Have a better chance of losing weight because of the muscle they are adding to their frame.

Stop watching, and listening to Tony Little, and Body by Jake. Those guys are complete assclowns.
    "I workout to music that makes me want to stomp on baby kittens." -David "Kick Ass" Davis

"The intended manipulation of mechanical work applied in order to stimulate a specific metabolic response."
    -Dr. Ben Bocchocchio on the Definition of Exercise