Thread: Desperately needing help with my girlfriend’s diet. Lots of details inside!

Desperately needing help with my girlfriend’s diet. Lots of details inside!

Hello all,

My girlfriend needs a little help.

She is pretty lean but she wants to lose a few more pounds as she feels she was much leaner a year or so ago.

She is extremely active doing an hour of intense cardio 6 days a week and doing a 1/2 hour of weights workout 5-6 days a week.

On top of that she walks 3-6 miles a day at work.

She has always eaten very well but did the: Eat when I am hungry type of thing and would snack a little.

With losing weight as a goal she has cleaned up her diet but she is not losing weight -- she is staying the same or in some cases gaining a little -- although looking at her I think she is a little bit leaner.

Her food intake today (note this is typical) was:

Breakfast
    A small bowl of allBRAN cereal with skim milk for breakfast (she normally has 1 scoop of optimum protein, a banana, and water (maybe milk)).

Lunch
    1 cup of cottage cheese and a grape fruit

Snack
    1 cup of low fat yogurt

Dinner
    1 Chicken breast and 1 to 2 ounces of stuffing

In all honesty I am dumfounded. I can’t believe that she wouldn’t lose weight eating so few calories. I am not an expert but my best guesses are:

1) Her metabolism has grinded to a halt and she needs a big cheat meal (huge steak, big potato, and butter vegetables) once a week. Or
    2) She might have better results if she cut out some of the sugar from the banana and yogurt and grape fruit.

What do you guys think? I am no expert! Please help.

If you need more details please post and ill let you know.

Thanks

Junior
    Last edited by Junior; 04-28-2005 at 07:39 AM.
    Eat Until Your Tired : Sleep Until Your Hungry

WEIGHT WORKOUT 5-6 HOURS A DAY!??!?!

how do you do lift for so long??

you say she's pretty lean but she still wants to lose weight - what more does she want to lose?

Too much cardio, too much exercise, not enough protein...

Tell her to get on here herself. We can help her if she posts up her routine and her goals.

my guess would be overtraining. again, if she wants to look better, than look at the body and take progress shots, not the scale. if her goal is to be lighter, then lighten up on the training. 3.6 mi+5-6 hrs lifting + intense cardio daily seems a little overboard to me.
    6'2" | 215 lbs

B320 S315 D440 = 1075
    The Road to 1200
    I'm always open to suggestions and critique, so stop by and help a brother out!

"Determination is the wake-up call to the human will." - TR

5-6 hours a day weight workout must be a typo.

Even so, that is a bizarre amount of training for a non-professional athlete.

Hahah,

Sorry guys.

She lifts for about 30 minutes about 5 days a week. Not 5 hours hours a day.

She loves running so she runs an hour a day. She runs the half marathon etc.

So to summerize her workout consists of 1/2hour of weights followed by 1 hour of running. (Sometimes she runs first).

That walking... it is a function of work... part of her job... so there is no eliminating it.

So where does that leave us

Oh and she does not have a computer, but I will get her to try and post from my place of work. I do no what she eats and her routines very well though.

Thanks

Okay - that's better.

I still call overtraining. Runners, to me, have ugly bodies - soft and lacking definition. I looked like CRAP when I ran - fat and soft.

My feeling is that she'd do better with an hour of heavy lifting 4 days a week, and 30 minutes of running on off-days.

Figure out what she's eating on www.fitday.com and post it up.

Agreed with built, runners have horrible bodies for the most part, and that diet isnt helping the problem.

So to get this straight. The diet is terrible and she should quit running. That is the only way to lose a few pounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    So to get this straight. The diet is terrible and she should quit running. That is the only way to lose a few pounds?

I wouldnt say its the only way, she also doesnt need to STOP running, just tone it down a bit.

my guess is that shee needs to build muscle....

Runners, to me, have ugly bodies - soft and lacking definition.
    did you mean long-distance runners? :P

i think she needs to learn that what she really wants to lose is bodyfat and not just any kind of weight. do you know where her bodyfat levels are at too?

I do indeed mean long-distance runners, and at hour-long runs, methinks this qualifies.

The fat loss is diet. The muscle tone will come from lifting.

ok hehe. i'm a sprinter and i'm not soft and skinny. ^_^

Thanks for all the feedback.

Don't know what percentage she is but her top abs show under the right light. She is muscular for a non-bodybuilder girl.

Her work out routinue involves about 30 - 45 minutes of weights (usually higher rep, lower weight). She can squat a plate though. She does an hour of cardio with every workout session and 95% of the time that is running. She runs 8 miles in an hour so she is running at a very good pace. The walking at work is a function of her job, she works in a large building and has to go from one saide to the other several times a day.

As far as her diet goes, i thought it was pretty good. I know it could be better, but I mean that is typical for her all the time.

OMG, her all day food intake is like 1 of my meals. That doesn't seem like a lot of food to me at all. I know a few people that starting eating more than their previously had, and lost weight.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

I will verify with her but I believe that she normally does about 15 reps per set. She can squat a plate a side. She is short about 5 feet tall.

I might suggest dropping the rep range down to the 8-12 range - she'll get a better metabolic boost from it.

A plate a side is impressive!

Yeah it is. I think she might do it on the smith I am not positive on that although I have always found the smith heavier than free weights for squats. I will suggest the lower rep range to her.

Thanks.

Smith squats are not squats. And they are lighter than free squats - the bar is counter-balanced.

Lower rep range, pushing close to failure. If she can do three sets of 10 with good form, it's probably time to increment - just like the fellas do.

Banned
    I think she needs to eat more to get her metabolism going again, because personally that is not enough food for her. tell her to eat some more food and exercise and the weight will come off. Make sure the carbs she eats are low on the GI index.