Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jogging and bodybuilding : Conflict ??

Wannabebig New Member

Jogging and bodybuilding : Conflict ??

Will my muscle diminish or whatever mass and bulk I gain gone if I go for 2 times a week jog, around an hour for each session?

Should I cut down to once a week or maybe less than an hour per jog? The problem is whenever I go bodybuilding, I feel bulkier and less active and look fat. So I need to tone down and go jogging but I jog on the next day after my workout session the previous day. I jog twice and workout twice a week. But after jogging, I sometimes felt lethargic and need to rest more. Any advice, should I resume my jog and still do bodybuilding?

The reason I go bodybuilding is to gain bicep and tricep muscle, chest (not too large) and also gain strength in the process. But I also jog so that I stay slim (but not to the extend of losing my muscle and mass) which is why I'm posting. Can I jog and also workout in gym?

Any advice will be helpful. Thanks.

Jogging isn't all that great at keeping you slim.

That's what diet is for.

I was fat when I jogged a lot.

I don't jog at ALL now, and I'm leaner than I've ever been.

And yes, it can indeed interfere with your physique goals.

Jog if you LOVE it. But don't do it because you think it'll make you buff.

My .02

i would continue to do some type of cardio fitness just for your overall health.... but keep the duration between 20 minutes to half an hour. What keeps you slim is you diet as built said, so to cut weight or stay slim alter your diet not your cardio routine, youll find that to be alot easier and more effective.
    MY RAW LIFTS
    OLD.........................................Current
    weight: 190..............................206
    Bench Press: 300lbs.......................?????
    Squat: 450lbs...............................?????
    Deadlift: 475..................................????
    Power Clean: 285lbs.......................?????

If you really wanna juggle the TWO the best is to be doing HITT sessions at around 30 minutes. YOu can get away with doing 3 sessions a week and see good results as long as your diet is in tact. Long distance running for a period of a hour or so can deminish some results of muscle gain. But also depends on how much you do it.

The best advice I can give you. Here's a good rutine. FULL body workouts.

MONDAY: FUll body 1 set per muscle group
    Tuesday: HITT session and ABS
    WEdneday: FULL body 1 set per muscle group
    Thursday: HITT session
    Friday: full body 1 set per muscle group
    SATurday: Hitt session and abs or core

IN those 1 sets you would want to be using high intensity weights.
    IN the HITT sessions you want to be doing 65% or higher of your MAX HR.

I saw amazing results with this protocol. I'am actually going to be starting this rutine this week.

If you feel the cardio your doing isn't enough you can always throw in a hitt session after your full body workout. MOre then 3 HITT sessions a week might diminish some muscle gain result.

Last year while on this protocol.. I managed to have a max bench of 300lbs while running 3 sessions of HITT for 30 minutes each. So maybe it can work for you too. GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by waynis; 04-30-2005 at 12:17 PM.
    Never Giving In.

I hardly do cardio. If i want a good breather, i'd do squat (preferably 20 reps squat) and deadlift, or some interval high intensity type exercises.

Wannabebig Member
    As a runner, I find that running is good for maintaining a low weight, but not effective for LOSING weight unless you do it in conjunction with a diet of some sort. I found after I started running that my legs became more toned. I also used to have quite stiff thighs and now I can feel my blood circulation in my legs has improved.

I used to run as part of a team called the Harriers, but I never competed in racs, just trained with them. (Random fact.)

Running (and I mean distance running here, not sprinting) seems to affect different people differently.

I've seen some slim, fit-looking distance runners.

I've also seen men with fat guts and skinny legs who run half marathons.

Me, I'll stick to proper diet, heavy lifting, and a bit of walking, thanks.

i just jump rope and work the heavy bag for my cardio... works better than any running can do, and is also a lot lower impact on your joints. I play hockey, and I used to run a ton for cardio and id still get really winded in practice, then I started jumping rope and boxing a lot, and I can skate the entire practice twice as hard and still be ready for more. Also, running is boring.

low impact = good.

jog and eat mexican food every day. it will turn you into a monster
    HEY, WHA HAPPENED?!

plenty of football players are big and have wind

Cardio is all about conditioning.... I was goana join the national guard but didnt think I would pass the physcial. They had a 375lb man run 2 miles in 16 min and 30 some seconds.... I was just amazed. A man that weighed about 85 lbs more then me could run the same distance alot faster. And this guy was weak too... he could even benchpress 160 lbs. So it just goes to show that wind can be built no matter what your shape.

As far as jogging and bodybuilding goes... bodybuild before you jog.

I'd do more sessions and make them shorter, but that's just me.

I doubt it will stall your goals.

We can give you more advice if you post your entire routine - I have a feeling you'll get some valuable input.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Running (and I mean distance running here, not sprinting) seems to affect different people differently.

I've seen some slim, fit-looking distance runners.

I've also seen men with fat guts and skinny legs who run half marathons.
    Wow interesting. I figured all joggers were slim, especiually if they could run half marathons. I guess I was wrong. I'm dieting also, and it works, I just hope it keeps working.

i just jump rope and work the heavy bag for my cardio... works better than any running can do, and is also a lot lower impact on your joints. I play hockey, and I used to run a ton for cardio and id still get really winded in practice, then I started jumping rope and boxing a lot, and I can skate the entire practice twice as hard and still be ready for more. Also, running is boring.
    i dont know i box and i found that i could shadowbox,hit the bags, all that **** i would be sweatin my ass off but i didnt get really lean until i started runnin all the time

I dont mean you'll lose weight and burn a lot of fat doing them, but you'll really increase cardiovascular endurance over running.

i usualy do cardio 3 times a week now,withone of those stepper machines,where u can hold the handles to.Its pretty low impact but yet i get like 450cal burned every time with 30 min.
    deep inside my withered skin,a beast unleashed to shred again

**** is real
    i don't see them conflicting, i have no problem gaining when jog (idk, like 7min30sec miles x 4 miles every other day 3 days a week). maybe i just gain easier then some people. i lose fat easily doing cardio, built made a good point about how jogging effects people differently, i say try lifting and jogging and if you're not seeing good gains just stop the jogging
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf

I would guess that jogging is more healthier for you than weight lifting. If you would rather be big than more healthy jog less - lift more - and eat loads **** LOADS !

Jogging is healthier than weight lifting?

I don't THINK so!

I was 170lbs, fat, and squishy when I jogged, with plantar fasciitis, knee tracking problems, hip problems, high cholesterol...

Now I'm lean and fit, from heavy lifting and a bit of walking with a better diet.

There is no WAY I'll ever jog again. It was just too damned hard on my body.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    Cardio is all about conditioning.... I was goana join the national guard but didnt think I would pass the physcial. They had a 375lb man run 2 miles in 16 min and 30 some seconds.... I was just amazed. A man that weighed about 85 lbs more then me could run the same distance alot faster. And this guy was weak too... he could even benchpress 160 lbs. So it just goes to show that wind can be built no matter what your shape.

As far as jogging and bodybuilding goes... bodybuild before you jog.
    Dusty Rhodes was far from the perfect physical specimen but he could run marathons in the ring every night for decades.

Running Times magazine had an article out a while back on the body percentages of elite women runners.

The study involved 70 elite woman and they had a body fat percentage of between 10% and 37%, with the average being 17%.

I used to run a lot. I always looked fat, even though I ran every distance up to and including a couple of marathons and triathlons.

Got fatter when I stopped running, though.

This thread is long gone. Also, how the heck can an "elite" female runner be carrying 37% body fat. That would just be hell on her joints.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

i do some form of cardio every day, my longest is on a thursday night when i go for an 8 mile run... I think diet is obviously the best way to shed the bf% but jogging is good if your diet is a little too high in calories. i make sure i take tons of protein and fat to keep the muscle on.
    Last edited by Aslin; 04-09-2008 at 11:22 AM.

I ran track in college and during that time I was putting in around 60 miles a week. I also lifted during this time, but not very heavy, mostly for reps. It is almost impossible to gain a lot of muscle when you run 8-10 miles a day. However, I do remember by the end of my sophomore year I was about 180-185 pounds and could bench 250. I quit running after my sophomore year (2003) and have been lifting hard ever since. Now, I am 210 lbs with a 365 lb bench. This never would've been possible if I was still running the long mileage. I still run 2 or 3 miles a few days a week along with other cardio to stay in shape, and I don't have any problem keeping muscle.

So, to answer your question, I think you would be fine with jogging/running for an hour two days a week as long as you're still getting your protein and eating right. If you up that to 3, 4, 5 days a week then its going to be hard to keep the muscle on.
    26 y/o, 6'3", 200
    B: 365
    D: 405