The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51
  1. #1
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954

    Outrageous traffic fine I received

    2 weeks ago I was leaving work. I'm not in my truck for more than a minute when the sirens light up behind me and CHP is pulling me over. Right off the top of my head I know my registration is 4 months past due, but all that can warrant is a "fix it" ticket. They can't take it until it's 6 months past due.

    Anyways, the officer comes to my window and tells me I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. I looked down and sure enough my seatbelt is on. So I ask him(in a non-smartassed tone) "when was I not wearing it?" He tells me I was putting it on as I was pulling out of the parking lot (IN OTHER WORDS I HAD IT ON). So as petty as this is, I accept the fact that I will get a stupid fine for not wearing a seatbelt ona technicality.

    He then tells me that my registration is past due, to which I reply that I am aware. Then after taking my license and registration he comes back to yell at me that in November when I moved I NEVER notified DMV that I moved, and DMV doesn't have my current adress. I told him that's impossible since I have received a late notice about my registration at my NEW adress. So he tells me how wrong I am and that I must be mistaken(which low and behold I am NOT).

    So my ticket was for no seatbelt(non correctable infraction), Expired registration(he checked non correctable infraction???), and Failure to notify DMV of adress change within 10 days. (correctable infraction)

    I received my notice of bail yesterday in the mail:
    Bail Amount $1,118.00
    Bail Amount $992.00 With Proof Of Corrections

    WHAT THE ****?!??!?!?! 992.00 for basically a seatbelt!!!! and of course the courthouse has me on hold for 2 hours and counting!!!
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member Manveet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    White Rock, BC
    Posts
    5,774
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    2 weeks ago I was leaving work. I'm not in my truck for more than a minute when the sirens light up behind me and CHP is pulling me over. Right off the top of my head I know my registration is 4 months past due, but all that can warrant is a "fix it" ticket. They can't take it until it's 6 months past due.

    Anyways, the officer comes to my window and tells me I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. I looked down and sure enough my seatbelt is on. So I ask him(in a non-smartassed tone) "when was I not wearing it?" He tells me I was putting it on as I was pulling out of the parking lot (IN OTHER WORDS I HAD IT ON). So as petty as this is, I accept the fact that I will get a stupid fine for not wearing a seatbelt ona technicality.

    He then tells me that my registration is past due, to which I reply that I am aware. Then after taking my license and registration he comes back to yell at me that in November when I moved I NEVER notified DMV that I moved, and DMV doesn't have my current adress. I told him that's impossible since I have received a late notice about my registration at my NEW adress. So he tells me how wrong I am and that I must be mistaken(which low and behold I am NOT).

    So my ticket was for no seatbelt(non correctable infraction), Expired registration(he checked non correctable infraction???), and Failure to notify DMV of adress change within 10 days. (correctable infraction)

    I received my notice of bail yesterday in the mail:
    Bail Amount $1,118.00
    Bail Amount $992.00 With Proof Of Corrections

    WHAT THE ****?!??!?!?! 992.00 for basically a seatbelt!!!! and of course the courthouse has me on hold for 2 hours and counting!!!

    lol, that sucks dude. I would definately argue it in court, especially if you still have that late notice about your registration with your new address on it.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

    Richard Dawkins


    "Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."


    Richard Dawkins


    "Bah. You know I hate poor people."

    Paul Stagg

  4. #3
    As I Am Paul Stagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Baltimore, MD, USA
    Posts
    8,668
    Traffic laws and enforcement are all about revenue.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

  5. #4
    Banned briancurran01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    4,639
    damn bro...you got JACKED that is messed up

  6. #5
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Manveet
    lol, that sucks dude. I would definately argue it in court, especially if you still have that late notice about your registration with your new address on it.
    If these fatass government employed pieces of lazy crap ever answer the phone I plan to set a court date and bring lots of ammunition.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  7. #6
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Traffic laws and enforcement are all about revenue.
    I can somewhat understand speeding tickets. but seatbelt laws chap my ass. I have had 2 prior seatbelt tickets in the past 7 years. however I do buckle up now. I would accept the 50 or so dollars it costs for the typical fine, but 992?!?!?!?! AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  8. #7
    Om. Avocado. MM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,204
    Note to self: Pay registration on time.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.


  9. #8
    Team Chesticles! Unholy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,880
    Just shoot the place up
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

    At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

  10. #9
    Steak and Eggs pusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NPWRAK, Canada
    Posts
    762
    Argue it in court and pray the pig don't show so it gets thrown out.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

    "He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

  11. #10
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    Quote Originally Posted by MM
    Note to self: Pay registration on time.
    DMV can charge you late penalties. But legally CHP can only issue fix it tickets up to 6 months, then they can take your vehicle. as someone who never pays it on time, I'm well aware of the rules lol.

    I wonder if the fact that the officer marked it a non correctable infraction on accident is what's making this so expensive. I guess I will find out if THEY EVER ANSWER THEIR ****ING PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  12. #11
    Om. Avocado. MM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,204
    The damn excise tax is just going to be fricken expensive. Ugh.
    Last edited by MM; 04-27-2005 at 12:08 PM.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.


  13. #12
    Senior Member Teufelhund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    912
    wow... 1100 dollars...

    How much jail time if you refuse to pay?

  14. #13
    System's BiAtch! _8_Ball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    955
    Wow... that FackEd up man...

    fight it big time...

  15. #14
    aka Boobalowski raniali's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    1,955
    webbie - would you mind listing the violation code he cited you under??
    Size is SEXY!

    As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A


    ~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

  16. #15
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    Quote Originally Posted by raniali
    webbie - would you mind listing the violation code he cited you under??
    it's hard to read on my copy, but heres what it looks like:

    27315(D)VC driver not wearing seatbelt
    4000(A)VC expired registration (the 3rd number of the code is hard to read, I'm guessing it's a zero)
    14600(A)VC failure to notify DMV of address change within 10 days


    at 12pm after 3.5 hours on hold, I was hung up on by a recording stating that the courthouse is at lunch. the WHOLE courthouse is at lunch. someone will be shot.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  17. #16
    Cyber Playa AllUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    In Uranus
    Posts
    1,398
    I would imagine the registration thing should be a correctable action I would think, as long as its taken care of by the court date.

    The seatbelt fine sucks man, sorry to hear. It is likely that high due to the other tickeys you got for the seatbelt. I'd still try fighting it in some whay though, as if you DID have it on before he pulled you over.

    Also, were you out of the parking lot and driving on the road when you put it on? or was it on in the parking lot?
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

    Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

  18. #17
    aka Boobalowski raniali's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    1,955
    27315.d (d) (1) A person may not operate a motor vehicle on a highway unless that person and all passengers 16 years of age or over are properly restrained by a safety belt. This paragraph does not apply to the operator of a taxicab, as defined in Section 27908, when the taxicab is driven on a city street and is engaged in the transportation of a fare-paying passenger. The safety belt requirement established by this paragraph is the minimum safety standard applicable to employees being transported in a motor vehicle. This paragraph does not preempt any more stringent or restrictive standards imposed by the Labor Code or any other state or federal regulation regarding the transportation of employees in a motor vehicle.

    if you were still in a parking lot, you could challenge the ticket right there.

    14600.a 14600. (a) Whenever any person after applying for or receiving a driver's license moves to a new residence, or acquires a new mailing address different from the address shown in the application or in the license as issued, he or she shall within 10 days thereafter notify the department of both the old and new address. The department may issue a document to accompany the drivers license reflecting the new address of the holder of the license.

    Please note the use of "may". I am not sure why he claimed you did not notify DMV, but you could fight this on the grounds that you have received mailings and the DMV never gave you an acknowledgement letter.

    i am trying to locate listed bail amounts for the violations ... check back soon!
    Last edited by raniali; 04-27-2005 at 01:45 PM.
    Size is SEXY!

    As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A


    ~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

  19. #18
    Cyber Playa AllUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    In Uranus
    Posts
    1,398
    Expired Registration (4000a V.C.), It's a zero.
    http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/equipviolations.html
    Last edited by AllUp; 04-27-2005 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Just got off the phone with ponch, seems he does Dental White(tm) and vacation trip infomercials now.. :/
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

    Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

  20. #19
    aka Boobalowski raniali's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    1,955
    this is basic bail for the seatbelt:
    (h) Notwithstanding subdivision (a) of Section 42001, any violation of subdivision (d), (e), or (f) is an infraction punishable by a fine of not more than twenty dollars ($20) for a first offense, and a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50) for each subsequent offense. In lieu of the fine and any penalty assessment or court costs, the court, pursuant to Section 42005, may order that a person convicted of a first offense attend a school for traffic violators or ( )3 any other court-approved program in which the proper use of safety belts is demonstrated.

    for the registration:
    Unregistered Vehicle

    42001.8. Every person convicted of an infraction for a violation of Section 4000 shall be punished by a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50) and not more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250).



    i can't locate a fine amount for the change of addy, but i can assume it is far less than $250. even adding together $20, $250 and andother $250 (to be conservative) ,plus all the other crap they tack on, i am hard pressed to believe a $1000 ticket resulted. here in LA county, there is an extra fee of like $20 added to every $10 of bail (it's crazy) -- which made a $35 ticket = $200 after all the fees and traffic school.

    personally, from my experience, hang up the phone and relegate yourself to spending an hour or two in line to talk with someone in person, set a court date and pay the fee.
    Size is SEXY!

    As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A


    ~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

  21. #20
    Wannabebig Member Ugly Genius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    70
    I'm not Buddhist, but this smells like bad karma to me. A part of me just says, pay the damn fine and get that karmic debt off your head. But at the same time, one grand for a seatbelt infraction just ain't right.

    Times like this one must ask himself W.W.B.D.?

  22. #21
    MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    FFFA Headquarters
    Posts
    11,468
    They're trying to scam you.

    Contest that nonsense. If you get nowhere with that, send the information to your local media outlets.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

    "All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

    "Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

    Pearls of Wisdom...


    Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

    Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

    And no COLON jokes, bastards!

  23. #22
    II MrWebb78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    The Big Sac
    Posts
    5,954
    First of all, thanks to all for reading my rant, and thanks a ton for the legal facts and help.

    I actually talked to someone on the phone!!!!! She said the main reason the amount is so high is because the officer "made the choice to make this difficult" on me(her exact words!). He marked the registration as not correctable. BUT since it is correctable, I need to get that and proof from DMV that my addy is updated, then bring that info to my just scheduled 5/17 court date. She reentered the info the way it should have been done, and she says it is most likely to be a 142.00 fine total. Which I am OK with.

    My last gripe is about the seatbelt infraction. when I was pulled over I had the belt on, and the officer said he saw me putting it on. I honestly can't recall when I put my damn seatbelt on, so I don't want to be a liar and say I had it on before I enetered the street. Even though it's possible. However, since this cop decided to make things difficult for me, maybe I should inconvenience him with a court date to argue it.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

    There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

    If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

    6'2"
    273 lbs.

  24. #23
    Banned briancurran01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    4,639
    i would fight it webbb..maybe the copwont show and then it will just get dropped..sounds like the cop was a total butthead

  25. #24
    Proud Father Maki Riddington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Posts
    5,323
    Fight it Webby.
    Maki Fit Blog

    At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

    "Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

    "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

    "Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

  26. #25
    still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    0
    Have fun at the courthouse. Go to Window #10. The lady there threw my tickets out twice because I am leaving this ****pile. She is very understanding.
    ALso:
    The Xray machine made my LG cellphone act funny. Leave it in the car.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •