The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Gripping technique?

Do you guys use gloves when lifting? I have come across two opinions on this:

1) use gloves
    2) stop being a woman and take the pain.

I dont have a problem with like 30 or 35lb DBs its when it gets to like 40 or 45 that the calluses on my hand start to hurt, its probably the steel rivets on the db itself, ironically the calluses help me gripping the weight also =/ . The hammer curl which I like really does a number on the hands. Dont get me wrong theres no disfigurement, just looking if theres a better way.

I guess what Im asking is glove or no glove?
    the New York Times (Jan. 9, 2005) commented that on the stage "Mr. Lindemann gave off an air of such brute masculinity and barely contained violence that it seemed that he could have reached into the crowd, snatched up a fan, and bitten off his head."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

every now and then I will use gloves, but sometimes they get in the way and I actually lose grip on certain lifts.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    I love calluses and when the weight gets too high I use chalk.

i like not wearing gloves when I lift but sometimes when I bench my hands sweat and it makes my grip real shiatty. So thats usually the only time i will wear them unless the calluses on my hands are all fvcked up
    My Transformation
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=50238

thanks, is there a special kind of chalk or like chalkboard chalk? I too love my calluses but they get irritated after a while.
    the New York Times (Jan. 9, 2005) commented that on the stage "Mr. Lindemann gave off an air of such brute masculinity and barely contained violence that it seemed that he could have reached into the crowd, snatched up a fan, and bitten off his head."

Quote Originally Posted by Baig
    thanks, is there a special kind of chalk or like chalkboard chalk? I too love my calluses but they get irritated after a while.

You want to look for climbing chalk that is composed of Magnesium Carbonate. I bought a chalk ball from an outdoor store, it is powdered chalk in a little sack and comes in a ziploc bag for like $4.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm pretty sure chalk is chalk. It's just a big block of it.
    "It's all about the diet. If you eat like crap, expect to look that way."

Calluses are bad, mkay?

The key to gripping happiness is to maintain your hand health. Calluses will rip off at the most inopportune times. Either shave or clip them, and moisturize your hands to keep the from drying out. Calluses can cause pain because they can be pressure points. If this isn't what is causing the pain, it may be tendon or muscle related. But in general, you should have "pain" from gripping.

The chalk you want is magnesium carbonate , aka gym or climbing chalk.
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 05-01-2005 at 03:21 PM.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin98
    I'm pretty sure chalk is chalk. It's just a big block of it.
    I think there might be a small difference between sidewalk chalk and the lifting chalk.

**** i gotta where gloves when i lift. i got really dry hands and in the winter theyre always bleeding

Quote Originally Posted by ilankaplan1
    **** i gotta where gloves when i lift. i got really dry hands and in the winter theyre always bleeding
    How freaking hard is it to buy a $5 bottle of hand moisturizer that will last 2 months?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure schoolboard chalk is calcium carbonate.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    How freaking hard is it to buy a $5 bottle of hand moisturizer that will last 2 months?
    Aveeno is amazing. But I don't care to have moist hands when lifting. I've never had a problem with calluses. Yes the build up and fall off but the tender skin underneath is just as ready and willing as before. Chalk keeps my hands dry and probably makes the calluses come faster.
    Last edited by ABDomega; 05-01-2005 at 01:16 PM.

i don't see a reason why you shouldn't use gloves. Don't just stop using it because you saw other big guys not using it.. and may be this is what big men do. They are there for your protection and not to make you a girly man or what not. Gloves are like shoes, you wouldn't play sports or run on the tread mill with your bare feet. Lifting without gloves won't make you "the man" either. You're just another lifter with more calluses who prefers not to use gloves.

I use them for deads. I'm not a competitive powerlifter so I'm not worried about rule violations, and it helps me to pull more weight without sacrificing form.

Not to say I have a problem with callouses, I have one apiece on the index and middle finger of my throwing hand that I doubt will ever go away. I just don't see a reason not to wear gloves.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    I don't like gloves- have yet to find a pair that's comfortable. I lift w/out them and have calluses and try to remember to moisturize so they don't get too bad. The only downside to calluses (mine don't hurt) is that they're quire rough if left untreated which makes for painful self-sex despite lube.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

There's nothing wrong with using gloves on most of your lifts, if anything, they'll help you by letting you focus more on the weight you're lifting, and less on the pain in your hands

The exception to this rule I would say would be deads and heavy shrugs, those are 2 exercises where your grip can be the limiting factor, so I would suggest using chalk for those, since you'll have a much stronger grip with bare hands and chalk, than with gloves and no chalk. But for everything besides deads and shrugs, I would highly recommend gloves