Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting : Will it have negative impact ?

Wannabebig New Member

Fasting : Will it have negative impact ?

I fast once a week. By fasting, I mean I just drink lotsa of water the whole day, no solid food whatesoever. I didn't drink fruit juice too, I know it's good to take juice, but I want to be just relying on pure H20. 'cos I heard fasting is good for your body as it detoxify and also maintain that youthful look. I workout twice a week in the gym and jog once every week. Each time when I managed to fast 24 hours without food, the next day, I'll consumed healthy food like potatoe, eggs, snacks, bread before working out. My whole body felt great after the fasting affect. My question is shall I resume fasting once every week and if so, do you guys had any better way of doing it? Is it better to fast once or twice per week?

The only problem I had with fasting is after fasting for 10 hrs or so, my body starts craving for food and I had to try extremely hard to resist it and remind myself of my objective and benefits of fasting. So I went to bed early , not that I can sleep early, but I just want the hours to pass (24 hrs, to be exact, only then it's considerl fasting, anthing less is skipping meal). Anyone had similar problem like mine? Will it affect my health, bodybuilding and my active lifestyle?

Also, is tuna can really good for health? What other food is considered healthy besides eggwhite, potatoe, nuts, oatmeal brread ? I only take chicken meat twice a week as I do not particularly love meat in my diet. But I know I had to eat some white meat to get protein. I also eat nuts. I know before working out I must drink lotsa water and also eat 4 hrs before doing some workout. I also drink 1 to 2 bottles of 100 plus. I'm trying to stay fit and also maintain my muscle. I'm also trying to look more energetic daytime, in the office. All this with less than 5 hrs of sleep a day before I had to get to the office the next morning. I almost always sleep late 'cos I can't sleep early. But's I'm aready used to it.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

You should drink water before working out, but too much will have a detrimental effect.

Fasting is foolish, you could rather be filling your body with beneficial foods.
    Keep exercising and feeding your body so it can maintain its systems.
    Fasting actually increases aging due to the generation of anti-oxidents which break down the body.

Sorry for lack of detail, need sleep.

I make some diet recommendations here:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=54064

take a shot of clorox bleach.. that'll detox your body with the quickness hehehe

(disclaimer: not recommended for the sanes)

3:16
    i would be asking the question.

what true benefits are out there of fasting?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Quote Originally Posted by body
    i would be asking the question.

what true benefits are out there of fasting?
    some people claim they fast to detox their bodies dunno!!

i tried it once i couldn't last more then a day! just to see if i can actually not eat! impossible for me that is!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

The body detoxes itself over time, if you give it healthy foods and plenty of water. IMO the only reason to do a total fast or a water-only fast would be for religious purposes, not for health.
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male."

My attempts at lifting heavy objects

Current maxes:

Squat 145 kg (320 lbs)
    Bench 67.5 kg (149 lbs)
    DL: 142.5 kg (314 lbs)

...oh, and I'm a girl.

Fasting does have very good effects BUT the negative effects outweigh the positive ones. In other words, if you are lifting weights and trying to get in shape, whether it be a cut or a bulk, fasting is probably not a good idea.

Banned
    Even for relious purposes...I still say...You gotta Bitch smack ur god in the face and be like "Yeah I'm a lifter deal bitch!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutz981
    Even for relious purposes...I still say...You gotta Bitch smack ur god in the face and be like "Yeah I'm a lifter deal bitch!"
    LOL

lol! well try to explain that to the millions of muslims during ramadan
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Detoxify your body with fruit.

are you honestly asking if starving yourself will have negitive effects (and on a website called WANT TO BE BIG)?

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    You could have a day when you only eat veggies and fruits instead. Green veggies like broccoli contains a lot of good things for you and contains almost no calories.

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by wrestlemaniac
    Detoxify your body with fruit.

are you honestly asking if starving yourself will have negitive effects (and on a website called WANT TO BE BIG)?

fruit is full of toxins.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Quote Originally Posted by wshen
    I fast once a week. By fasting, I mean I just drink lotsa of water the whole day, no solid food whatesoever. I didn't drink fruit juice too, I know it's good to take juice, but I want to be just relying on pure H20. 'cos I heard fasting is good for your body as it detoxify and also maintain that youthful look.
    This is false.
    I workout twice a week in the gym and jog once every week. Each time when I managed to fast 24 hours without food, the next day, I'll consumed healthy food like potatoe, eggs, snacks, bread before working out. My whole body felt great after the fasting affect. My question is shall I resume fasting once every week and if so, do you guys had any better way of doing it? Is it better to fast once or twice per week?
    It is better to eat a healthy diet and ensure you get all of the necessary nutrition. Your body 'detoxifies' itself just fine - your liver and kidneys are there for a reason.
    The only problem I had with fasting is after fasting for 10 hrs or so, my body starts craving for food and I had to try extremely hard to resist it and remind myself of my objective and benefits of fasting. So I went to bed early , not that I can sleep early, but I just want the hours to pass (24 hrs, to be exact, only then it's considerl fasting, anthing less is skipping meal). Anyone had similar problem like mine? Will it affect my health, bodybuilding and my active lifestyle?
    Fasting is more unhealthy than healthy, IMO
    Also, is tuna can really good for health? What other food is considered healthy besides eggwhite, potatoe, nuts, oatmeal brread ? I only take chicken meat twice a week as I do not particularly love meat in my diet. But I know I had to eat some white meat to get protein. I also eat nuts. I know before working out I must drink lotsa water and also eat 4 hrs before doing some workout. I also drink 1 to 2 bottles of 100 plus. I'm trying to stay fit and also maintain my muscle. I'm also trying to look more energetic daytime, in the office. All this with less than 5 hrs of sleep a day before I had to get to the office the next morning. I almost always sleep late 'cos I can't sleep early. But's I'm aready used to it.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I think you should do lots of reading on diet and nutrition.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Grasshoppa
    Unless you are fasting for some religious purpose, I really don't see the point.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by body
    fruit is full of toxins.
    Fruits are not full of toxins. Especially those with a skin that you do not eat. They contain much more things that help in detoxification (that helps the liver, kidneys, etc.) than they toxify you...

Meat, by definition, contains more toxins.

i would hope that no one would substitute their religion for weight lifting, you are an idiot.
    MY RAW LIFTS
    OLD.........................................Current
    weight: 190..............................206
    Bench Press: 300lbs.......................?????
    Squat: 450lbs...............................?????
    Deadlift: 475..................................????
    Power Clean: 285lbs.......................?????

That's one of the things that makes me against organized religion. No one is gunna tell me how to live my life, especially when, what and if i can eat.
    But seriously, think about it, would starving your body of the necessary nutrients and calories it needs to survive, be better than fueling your body and keeping it energized....I dont think so.

Quote Originally Posted by ReelBigFish
    But seriously, think about it, would starving your body of the necessary nutrients and calories it needs to survive, be better than fueling your body and keeping it energized....I dont think so.
    Well, a calorie deficit is the only thing proven to prolong lifespan.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by monotone
    i would hope that no one would substitute their religion for weight lifting, you are an idiot.
    And yet some sociologists would say that this is just what the younger generations ARE doing. Giving up on religion and moving to more social religions such as the gym.

Whoopie, a bit of a cultiral debate on the WBB forums~!
    -Sc00t.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGimp
    Well, a calorie deficit is the only thing proven to prolong lifespan.
    Really? There's no other way to improve your odds?

Strange that our lifespan is longer now than it was 500 years ago ...

I'm gonna go ahead and say that if you are fasting for any reason OTHER than religious beliefs, you are an idiot.

Also check out the results of a day-on-day-off diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Really? There's no other way to improve your odds?

Strange that our lifespan is longer now than it was 500 years ago ...

You are referring to modern medicine and sanitation? I guess I should have put it something like delay biological aging.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerjrus
    I'm gonna go ahead and say that if you are fasting for any reason OTHER than religious beliefs, you are an idiot.
    i also agree with that aswell
    MY RAW LIFTS
    OLD.........................................Current
    weight: 190..............................206
    Bench Press: 300lbs.......................?????
    Squat: 450lbs...............................?????
    Deadlift: 475..................................????
    Power Clean: 285lbs.......................?????

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monotone
    If someone substitutes their religion for weight lifting, all it means is that they don't take their religion very seriously and weight lifting is a higher priority for them. What is wrong with that?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL