The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is my journal.. there are many like it

.. but this one is mine.

Anyway, first attempt at this, but I think I know how it goes. Routine outline then daily breakdown. Suggestions/critiques are more than welcomed, they're needed.

Current stats (with pictures soon hopefully):
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 145
    BF Per: 8-10%

Goals for 12-24-05:
    Weight: 165 (an average gain of 3+ lbs a month)
    BF Per: 8-10%

Current Routine: Each exercise has 1 warmup set done at half workout weight. The numbers posted are current work set weights. The weights are also assuming a 45 lb. bar for bench, squat, etc - and 25 lbs. for the EZ bar, I've never weighed them.

Mon:
    Bench - 4 x 6 (135, 145, 155)
    Seated Row - 4 x 6 (90, 100, 110)
    Incline DB Press - 4 x 6(45,50,55)
    Deadlift - 4 x 6 (115, 125, 135)
    Dips - 3 x 6 (BW, BW+10, BW+20)
    Chinups- 3 x 6 (BW, BW, BW)
    Abs

Tues:
    Run 3.5 Miles (30 min cardio)

Wed:
    Squat - 4 x 6 (155, 185, 205)
    Standing Calf Raises (On Box) - 4 x 8 (225, 245, 255)
    Leg Curls (1 leg at a time) - 4 x 6 (40, 50, 60)
    Leg Exts. (1 leg at a time) - 4 x 6 (50, 50, 60)

Thurs:
    Off

Fri:
    EZ Curls - 4 x 6 (75, 85, 95)
    Upright Row - 4 x 6 (60, 60, 70)
    Dumbell Curls - 4 x 6 (35, 35, 40)
    Military BB Press - 4 x 6 (95, 105, 115)
    DB Shrugs - 4 x 8 (65, 70, 75)
    Lat Raises - 4 x 6 (25, 25, 30)
    Abs

Sat:
    Off

Sun:
    Run 3.5 Miles (30 min cardio)
    Last edited by Wierz; 05-18-2005 at 01:18 PM.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You're doing deads on leg day IN ADDITION to squats? And sldls on chest day? A bit too much volume there...

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Well, the SLDL's are for Monday because it's a chest/back day. I was trying to add a lower back exercise. Should I take those out?

Should I alternate Squats/Deadlifts on Leg day on a weekly basis or something? I didn't think I was pushing the volume too much on leg day.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

Take a look at WBB #1, for starters.

SLDLs stress hamstrings more than lower back.

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Started this week with my Friday routine because of sickness the past week to 10 days. 1 warmup set preceeded each exercise. I was in a wicked pissy mood before I got to the gym but gym was dead so I was able to concentrate.

Standing EZ Curls: 3 x 6 (75, 85, 95) I killed these. I need to move up in weight.

Upright Row: 3 x 6 (60, 70, 75) I need another week of these. My form suffered for the last 2 reps at 75.

Dumbell Curls: 3 x 6 (35, 35, 40) I also need another week at this weight. The last rep wasn't a complete rep and I saw stars.

Military BB Press: 3 x 6 (95, 105, 115) The 115 set was pathetic. I need to drop to 90, 95, 100 or something similar next week.

Dumbell Shrugs: 3 x 6 (65s, 70s, 75s) I need to move up in weight next week. I'll shoot for 85's on the final set.

Lat Raises: 3 x 6 (25, 25, 30) I need to move up in weight next week.

Tonight is the first Legs day I've been able to do since I got sick around mid-April. We'll see how they go. I'll take Soba's advice and drop the Deads on the same day as legs. I'll find a place to work them in.
    Last edited by Wierz; 05-04-2005 at 12:09 PM.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

Had an ok night.

Squat 3 x 6 (175, 185, 205) Need another week at this. Didn't get the 6th rep of the 205.

Calf Raises 3 x 6 (185, 205, 225) Need another week, the last 2 of the 225 set weren't full extension.

Machine Squat 3 x 6 (185, 205, 225) - These are plates put on the machine. I don't know how much the rack on the machine weighs or counts for so I just counted the plates. These went ok and I can move up 5-10 lbs. next week.

1-Legged Leg Ext 3 x 6 (50, 60, 60) These were hard because halfway through I noticed the 70lb plate had stuck to the 60lb plate while I was lifting it. I was discouraged to that point because I thought I'd lost alot of strength on my time off.

1-Legged Leg Curl 3 x 6 (40, 50, 50) Trying to move up on these next week but the machine goes up in increments of 10, not 5.

My legs are still shaky today. Gonna be hurtin' tomorrow. I'm glad.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

My schedule only allowed me to life last night. I'd have liked a day off for rest but couldn't make it to the gym tonight. NFG. It went well anyway and I've been making sure to take in more protein and get as much sleep as I can since I lifted 3 days in a row. Isopure MRPs are my new best friend.

Bench: 3 x 6 (135, 145, 155) I did these w/o a spot and will move up 5 lbs next week.

Seated Row: 3 x 6 (100, 100, 110) Going to move up 10lbs next week to end at 120.

Incline DB Press: 3 x 6 (45, 50, 55) I need another week at this weight. My form suffered for the last 2 reps of the 55. The last rep didn't count at all in my mind.

Chin Ups: 3 x 6 (BW, BW, BW) I'll mix these in with lat pull downs from week to week. Not really thinking of adding any weights to the chins yet.

Dips: 3 x 8 (BW, BW+10, BW+20) I killed these. I'll try BW+20, BW+25 next week.

Bent over 1-Arm Row: 3 x 6 (45, 50, 55) I went for these rather than SLDL. I'll try to mix those in another time. These went ok, but I need another week because I cheated on the last 2 reps at 55.

3 days off will help. I need it.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

clever journal title

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Bench: 4 x 6 (135, 155, 160) I got these up w/o a spot again and was really excited. I'll try 165 next week.

Seated Row: 4 x 6 (100, 110, 120) I need another week. Didn't get the 6th rep of 120.

Incline DB Press: 4 x 6 (45, 50, 55) My form was good so I'm trying 60's next week.

Lat Pull Dwn: 4 x 6 (120, 130, 140) Moving up in weight next week. Unless I do chinups.

Dips: 4 x 8 (BW, BW+20, BW+30) I'll try BW+35 next week.

Bent over 1-Arm Row: 4 x 6 (45, 50, 55) I was spent last night but these went ok. I'll try to move up to 60 next week.

Having a ****ty week so far otherwise. Wonderful.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

Workouts from Wed. And Thurs of last week.

Wed:

Standing EZ Curls: 3 x 6 (75, 85, 100) The 100 set was evil. Probably only got 4 or 5 of the 6 reps w/o cheating. Another week at this.

Upright Rows: 3 x 6 (75, 80, 85) These went ok but I didn't get the 6th of the last set. One more week.

Rope Curl: 3 x 6 (90, 100, 110) These went well and I'll try 120 next week.

BB Military Press: 3 x 6 (80, 85, 90) The last set of 6 was sad again. I'm determined to build my strength in this exercise. I got them all out but arched my back on the last 2 of 90. Unacceptable.

DB Shrugs: 3 x 6 (65, 70, 75) I went through these pretty well. My grip is losing pace with what I'm able to shrug and I'll have to figure something out soon. I almost dropped the 75's near the end of my set but only because of grip fatigue.

Thurs: I missed leg day due to a family problem which I couldn't work around. Hope to avoid that this week. No missed days.
    Last edited by Wierz; 05-16-2005 at 10:41 AM.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

Monday:

Bench: 3 x 6 (145, 155, 165) I wanted to see if I could do this again in case last week was a fluke, which I did. So next week is 170.

Seated Row: 3 x 6 (100, 110, 120) I got these done with form. 130 next week.

Incline DB Press: 3 x 6 (50, 55, 60) I struggled w/ 60 on the last 2 reps. I'll get this next week.

Lat Pull Downs: 3 x 6 (120, 130, 150) I'll try chinups next week.

Dips: 3 x 6 (BW+25, BW+35, BW+45). The 45 pwned me. Maybe next week. The belt to put weights on at my gym BULOWS! It popped open twice mid rep and dropped the weights everywhere.

Bent over DB Row: 3 x 6 (50, 55, 60) Pwned at 60. Another week.

I'm feeling alot stronger, but really angry at myself for missing leg day last week. No such excuses this week.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

Tues: My routines are all consensed now and it's getting frustrating. I go to Boston every weekend now to see the GF right after work on Friday. That eliminates Fri, Sat, Sun as workout days, so I'm only left with 4.

Leg day....

Squat: 3 x 6 (155,175, 195) I did ****ty with these. I need to work to build my strength back up.

Standing Calf Raise: 3 x 6 (205, 225, 235) I did these ok, and will try 245 next week.

Machine Squat: 3 x 6 (160, 180, 200) These are the weights of the plates. Not sure what the rack counts for. I'll move up to 220 next week.

1-Legged Leg Ext: 3 x 6 (50, 50, 60) These went ok, but another week.

1-Legged Leg Curl: 3 x 6 (40, 50, 60) Only got 4 of 6 on 60.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

Bench: 3 x 6 (155, 165, 170). I got the 170 set, but need another week. Spotter had to help just a little on the last rep.

Seated Row: 3 x 6 (110, 120, 140 ) I was feeling pretty good, and went for 140, and made it. I was pretty psyched. My back feels like it's getting stronger faster than the rest of me.

Incline DB Fly: 3 x 6 (50, 55, 60) I struggled again, but the incline on the bench I used was a little high. Another week.

Chin Ups: 3 x 6 (BW, BW, BW) Ouch.

Dips: 3 x 6 (BW+25, BW+35, BW+45). Got them out but barely. Another week.

Bent over DB Row: 3 x 6 (50, 55, 60) Pwned at 60 again. 1 more week.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

It's All About Committment KiwiBuilder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wierz
    Tues: My routines are all consensed now and it's getting frustrating. I go to Boston every weekend now to see the GF right after work on Friday. That eliminates Fri, Sat, Sun as workout days, so I'm only left with 4.

Leg day....

Squat: 3 x 6 (155,175, 195) I did ****ty with these. I need to work to build my strength back up.

Standing Calf Raise: 3 x 6 (205, 225, 235) I did these ok, and will try 245 next week.

Machine Squat: 3 x 6 (160, 180, 200) These are the weights of the plates. Not sure what the rack counts for. I'll move up to 220 next week.

1-Legged Leg Ext: 3 x 6 (50, 50, 60) These went ok, but another week.

1-Legged Leg Curl: 3 x 6 (40, 50, 60) Only got 4 of 6 on 60.

4 days should be plenty. If you use a 3 days split :

1) Chest/Back

2) Legs

3) Arms/Shoulders

You'll have one spare for whatever.
    =================================================
    Currently:: ~90.75 Kg and BFLing!
    Cutting Goal:: Abs!
    Ultimate Goals:: 100Kg at ~10% BF.
    The Road To Largeness
    Newest member of WBBB
    "Go ahead on with it Quadzilla..." - Cocoa.
    "I hope the course gets a few more beer cart girls. Hot ones with long legs and tans. Great, now I'm excited. My left forearm is never going to catch up now. Son of a bitch." - Tim Nissen.
    "Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer." - Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
    =================================================

Thanks Kiwi, that's what I'm working at now and still making gains thankfully. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get my workout patter to stick. I get all the workouts in, but no in the same order all the time. I don't think I'm missing much, we'll see.

EZ Curl: 4 x 6 (75, 85, 100) Pwned @ 100. Another week of trying.

Upright Rows: 3 x 6 (75, 85, 90) I felt strong with these and the weight is moving up. Maybe 95 next week.

Rope Curl: 3 x 6 (110, 120, 140) All done w/o cheating. 150 next week maybe. So close to the stack!

BB Military Press: 3 x 6 (85, 95, 105) I got 105 w/o cheating. I'm pretty psyched because I felt weak at this but my shoulders are getting much stronger. I'm starting to love BB exercises.

Hammer Curls: 3 x 6 (30, 35, 40) 40 was rough. Maybe got 5 of 6.

Lat Raises: 3 x 6 (20, 25, 30) 30 was only 4 of 6. Last 2 cheated and swung them. Another week.

Overall I'm happy with my gains, although they're noob gains so far. These are what I've tracked so far since I started seriously about 3.5 months ago. These are workout weights, since I don't really ever max.

Bench Increase: 125 -> 170
    Curl Increase: 75 ->100
    Upright Row Increase: 50 -> 90
    Seated Row Increase: 90 -> 140
    Squat Increase: 135 -> 185
    DL Increase: 125 -> 145

I've been doing deads randomly through the last month or so to see where/how I can work them in.

I've gained about 7-8 lbs. (slowly bulking, or clean bulking I guess). I've plateaud a bit with weight, so I guess I need to switch something up. Most likely diet.
    Last edited by Wierz; 05-27-2005 at 09:12 AM.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

Saturday:

Squat: 3 x 6 (155, 175, 195) Sucked. Got 5 of 6 on 195.

Standing Calf Raise: 3 x 8 (205, 225, 235) Meh, they're calf raises.

Machine Squat: 3 x 6 (160, 180, 200) Wish I knew what the rack weighed so I could add that in. These went fine, need to move up.

Leg Curl: 3 x 6 (40, 50, 60)

Leg Ext: 3 x 6 (50, 60, 70)

Tuesday:

Bench: 3 x 6 (135, 155, 175) I was so close to 6 at 175. I got 5.5. I will get this next week. So close to putting 25's on over the 45's! Noobish, I know. But still exciting.

Seated Row: 3 x 6 (130, 140, 150) Pwned at 150. Need another week.

Incline DB Press: 3 x 6 (55, 60, 65) 65 was rough and shaky. I'd only count 4 of the 6 I did.

Chin Ups: 3 x 6 (BW, BW, BW) I'm hoping to add a few lbs. to these next week.

Machine Press: 3 x 6 (90, 105, 110) I do these instead of dips sometimes and when I don't have enough time for dips.

Bent over DB Row: 3 x 6 (50, 55, 60) I think I'm going to boot these and try BB rows or something like that. These don't seem to accomplish much for me. I think Deads will take this spot.

Wednesday: Basically a copy of Sat's routine. I didn't move up much.

Squat: 3 x 6 (155, 175, 195) Sucked. Got 4 of 6 on 195.

Standing Calf Raise: 3 x 8 (205, 225, 235) Meh.

Machine Squat: 3 x 6 (160, 180, 210)

Leg Curl: 3 x 6 (40, 50, 60)

Leg Ext: 3 x 6 (50, 60, 70)

Shoulders/Biceps tonight.
    Last edited by Wierz; 06-02-2005 at 08:40 AM.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

Thursday: 6-2-05

EZ Curl: 3 x 6 (85, 90, 105)

Upright Row: 3 x 6 (85, 95, 105) Pwned at 105. 4 of 6.

Rope Curl: 3 x 6 (120, 130, 140) Another week. These didn't go well.

Military BB Press: 3 x 6 (95, 105, 115) only 5 of 6 at 115.

Hammer Curl: 3 x 6 (30, 35, 40)

BB Shrugs: 3 x 6 (155, 175, 195)

Monday:

Bench: 3 x 6 (155, 165, 175) I got 6 unassisted, I'll try 180 next week. w00t

Deadlifts: 3 x 6 (135, 155, 175) These went fairly easy. This is the first appearance of deadlifts in my routine and I liked them. Alot. I'm looking forward to getting heavier with these.

Incline DB Press: 3 x 6 (55, 60, 65) 65 was rough, only got 4 of 6 then my form got ****ty.

Seated Row: 3 x 6 (130, 140, 150)

Machine Press: 3 x 6 (155, 175, 195) 195 was rough. I think I'm giving this one up, it tweaks my right shoulder some because the movement isn't too natural.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

I was also seriously considering picking up this routine. I need a change and I need to rework my diet. I am making strength gains, but I've hit a wall with weight. I gained 6-7 lbs. really quickly, and haven't gained weight for over a month. If anyone sees this and has suggestions, please let me know.

Mon:
    Bench 3 x 8
    Deadlifts 3 x 8
    Incline DB Press 3 x 8
    Chinups 3 x 8

Tues:
    Off

Wed:
    EZ Curls 3 x 8
    Upright Rows 3 x 8
    Rope Curl 3 x 8
    Military BB Press 3 x 8

Thurs:
    Squat 3 x 8
    Calf Raises 3 x 8
    Machine Squat 3 x 8
    Leg Curl 3 x 8

Fri:
    Off

Sat:
    Incline Bench 3 x 8
    Seated Row 3 x 8
    Machine Squat 3 x 8
    Calf Raises 3 x 8
    Shrugs 3 x 8

Sun:
    Off
    Last edited by Wierz; 06-07-2005 at 02:29 PM.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

could you post more on your diet??? meals, cal, fat, pro ????

sorry for the silence, things have been insanely busy.

My diet, without getting really specific is this:

5 meals a day
    3300-3400 (400-500 over maintenance) calories a day.
    170-180 grams of protein a day
    2 of my meals are Opticen weight gain shakes
    Only other supplements are a multivitamin and fish oil caps (5 per day)
    My calorie split is roughly 20 fat/40 carb/40 protein

I've made great progess for myself, having buckled down on my workout and trying new things. Putting deadlifts in religiously has made me feel like a much stronger person. I have dropped all my warmup sets for all my exercises except for the first set of each muscle group. I felt it was a waste of energy that far into the workout.

Mon:
    Bench 3 x 6: 135 (warmup) 155, 175, 185 (a new PR and the strongest I've ever been)

Incline DB Press 3 x 6: 55s, 60s, 65s (also the strongest I've felt in these)

Incline Bench Cable Flys 3 x 6: 35 per side, 40 p.s., 45 p.s. (a new addition because I felt my chest was lagging, as did others when I posted pics)

Deadlift 3 x 6: 135 (warmup) 185, 205, 225 (I was really psyched I pulled all 6 of these well - this may seem small but it's the first time I've ever moved a bar with 225 on and felt like it was good)

Seated Row 3 x 6: 130, 140, 150 (I have always liked these and my gains are slowing, but noob gains are out the window now I think going on 5 months of hard training)

Chin ups 3 x 6: BW, BW, BW (I rotate these in with lat pull downs. It's not the same, you can't mimic the chin ups on a lat pull down machine, no matter what. 3 x BW kicked my ass)
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

Congrats on the PR, bench PR's always got me pumped the most

Wed:

Sqaut 3 x 6 - 155, 185, 205. I got all 6 on 205 so I'm trying 215 next week.

Calf Raises 3 x 6 - 205, 225, 225. I'm trying a new super-pause exercise (as maki suggested in a post) to maximize this exercise. We'll see if it works. It seemed to.

SLDL 3 x 6 - 135, 155, 185. Went light on the first two sets, but I'd never tried these heavy before. I like them better than leg curls, though they feel different. It felt more like a weighted stretching.

Single Leg Ext 3 x 6 - 60, 70, 80. Meh, they're leg extensions. I do them to help my knees out.

Fri:
    Military BB Press 3 x 6 - 125, 135, 145. Only got 4 of 6 on 145. I need to try 140, the jump to 145 was too ambitious.

Arnold Presses 3 x 6 - 40, 45, 50. Nothing to note. Still waiting before moving to 55s.

Shoulder Raises 3 x 6 - 25, 30, 35s. Not so hot at 35s. Another week.

BB Shrugs 3 x 6 - 135, 185, 195. 205 next week. Grip strength improving noticably. Thank god for these and deadlifts.

EZ Bar Curl 3 x 6 - 85, 95, 105. Another week. 4 of 6 on last set.

Rope Curl 3 x 6 - 130, 140, 150. Another week again. 5 of 6 on 150.

Tonight:
    Chest, Back, and my attempt at a 190 bench set. :O
    Last edited by Wierz; 07-25-2005 at 02:01 PM.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

I think my diet is holding me back. I need to eat more, I'm just being lazy about it. I suck.

Mon:
    Bench 3 x 6 - 155, 175, 185. only 5 of 6 @ 185... meh
    Incline DB Press 3 x 6 - 55s, 60s, 65s. Maybe 70s next week? we'll see
    Incline Cable Flys 3 x 6 - 40s, 45s, 50s. meh, they're flyes

Deadlift 3 x 6 - 185, 205, 235. 5 of 6 @ 235 (nearly killed myself)
    Lat Pull DN 3 x 6 - 140, 150, 160. Rotated with chin ups.
    Seated Row 3 x 6 - 130, 140, 150

tonight is off, tomorrow is legs.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

Mon:
    Bench 3 x 6 (155, 175, 185) Half a rep on the 6th of 185.
    Incline DB Press 3 x 6 (55s, 60s, 65s)
    Incline Cable Flies 3 x 6 (45, 50, 55)
    Deadlift 3 x 6 (185, 205, 235)
    Chip ups 3 x 6 BW, BW, BW
    Seated Row 3 x 6 (130, 140, 150)

I'm moving onto a new routine next week. So I'm keeping track of my working set improvements so I can compare results when I'm done w/ my next routine. I've been doing this routine since Feb. of this year, and my diet has been in check since around March.

Working Set Increses:
    Bench 125 --> 185
    Squat 135 --> 205
    Deadlift (began May of this year) 175 --> 235

New routine to follow.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

Wed: Teh Legs

I made huge progress with legs. I took a little time off and concentrated on my deadlifts. Deadlift strength turned my leg lifts around!! I was stuck with them, and I credit deadlifts with getting me over that hump.

Squat: 3 x 6 (185, 205, 225 ) I repped each of these out with the best form I felt I've had yet. 225 was 20 lbs heavier than anything I'd ever squatted before, let alone for a full set of reps.

Seated Calf Raise: 3 x 6 (90, 100, 110) I tried slow, paused reps and these killed. My calves were convulsing afterwards. I'm assuming that was a good thing.

SLDL 3 x 6 (185, 195, 195) Pretty uneventful.

Standing Calf Raise 3 x 6 (225, 235, 235) Shaky again.

DB Lunges 3 x 6 (45s, 50s, 50s) Nearly fell on my face a few times.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal