Thread: anyone here enrolled in college while still in highschool?

**** is real

anyone here enrolled in college while still in highschool?

i recently had to start thinking of where i wanted to go to school after highschool and all that because i had to sign up for the ACT's (michigan's state assesment test) and i got to thinking that i wanted to go to a community college for my first 2 years of schooling. it's not that my grades are THAT bad or anything, i've got a 3.14 accumulative gpa at one of better highschools in MI, you get like .14 added on to your gpa when you graduate because most of the courses are harder than all the other schools in the area, but i thought this would be a good idea because i eventually want to enroll in CCS (college for creative studies) which is a good art school in MI (probably the best, since it's basically the only one), but it's also $22k a year w/o any other class fees/books/lab charges/housing. so i concluded i want to go the a community college so i can get about 65% of my credits to transfer to the other school and save a good $40k, because, well, that's a lot of money.

i then looked into a local cc that's only about a mile from my house and it says that you can enroll in classes there if you obtain permission from your principal & counselor while still in highschool to start obtaining college credits. i thought this was a really good idea because i want to go into web design/graphic design stuff (ha, i'm in 'web design' at my highschool right now but it's a joke. i could teach this class in about 1 class period) and it'd be easy for me to get permission to start taking classes in this category because i made the website for my school (not yet up though, i'm not getting paid so i'll post it when i feel i want too lol) and i teach the graphics 4 class 7th hour, so umm, it should be easy to get permission to do this.

my question is, has anyone done this before/do you think i should try it? i'm not sure if they offer summer classes though, which is what i'd want to take (since that'd be the soonest time i'd be able to start, whenever their current semester ends, actually ****! their school probably gets out in 2 weeks, i'd have to sign up really soon, arghhh, better go see my counselor today), and i'd think because i've kinda blew off highschool (for my parents standards, my brother got a full ride scholarship in pre-dentistry and is going to be going into dentistry school when i graduate highschool) that it'd show that i actually want to do something with my life that will look good when i apply to another school.
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf

I took a summer class at 16, and enrolled full time at 17. It's a change from high school, but you should go for it. Just don't F it up like I did.

I did my entire senior year. My school district paid for my classes and my parents bought my books. I got 18+ college credits out of the way going part time...and I was at school for only 2 hours a day It rocked

I took 3 credits my senior year and it saved my ass come graduation time.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie
    I did my entire senior year. My school district paid for my classes and my parents bought my books. I got 18+ college credits out of the way going part time...and I was at school for only 2 hours a day It rocked

me too, but with lower credits...take it if you are ale to do it. It is very worthwhile.

I think that's a really good idea.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I'm currently enrolled at a local community college and I'm only a junior. I got 6 hours of History last summer, just finished 3 hours of English and will get 3 more during Summer II. Our school also offers Dual Credit courses that are taught at my school. Our Bio teacher has her Master's, so she teaches College A&P and College Biology at my school, and a teacher from the local CC comes in 3 times a week and teaches College Algebra and Trig. I'll have about 30 hours before I graduate high school.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Personally to me senior year was like my last good year on earth. Because engineering school really rough, I'm glad I had that time to look back on and smile.

For your career, yeah its a good idea, but i dunno to me giving up that last year by overloading it with college credits might not be a good idea. It's probably an easy way to pick up college credits, just saying you might wanna enjoy your last year at school.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Get all your core nonsense out of the way at your CC. History, english, etc. Since you're going to go to a "creative arts" school, I guess... Ahh, who am I kidding. I don't even know what kind of stuff they're gonna teach you at that college (especially for $22k a year). So just get as much core work done as you can.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

**** is real
    i talked to my counselor yesterday and she thought it was a good idea, so i'm going to go over to the school today to get a class list so i can sign up for classes that start june 20th. we'll see how it goes, i figure it can't hurt to have some extra schooling if i apply to a few schools this november, since i have basically no extra curricular activities lol, i guess i can claim i worked instead of doing extra curricular stuff but that's only good for this year...ehh, the big thing is trying to get my school to sign off the website i did for them as 40hrs community service so i can get my $2,500 scholarship money from the state of michigan, which probably shouldn't be that hard, but they can always say no, or give me like 20hrs...(it didn't take me long at all, probably like 7hrs, but they don't know that, for all they know i could've spent 100hrs working on it)
    also, i'm thinking about taking classes during next school year, because if you take it while you're actually in highschool (highschool school year) they'll pay for basically everything, even though i could afford the 2 full years myself (i mean, that's basically everything i saved working in the past 6 months, i doubt i'd even pay though, my parents would). i figure if i'm able to get a year of schooling out of the way, i could get a job making about $50k a year at about age 21, make some money, then pay for more schooling so i can get a higher paying job, etc. i actually feel confident of what i'm going to do with my life, it's a good feeling lol

edit: oh yea, Hercule, they offer some AP classes at my school also but you can't get college credit in my school district unless you take the college test on that subject and get above a 70%, and all they really offer for AP classes is chemistry, biology, and one history class, and i figure none of those are really going to help me, probably just bring me down lol
    Last edited by zer06ame; 04-28-2005 at 07:14 AM.
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf

lol i had a hard enough time graduating period. But my sister is in a whole bunch. Seems like a good opportunity.
    Beer helped slow down my metabolism.... -ozzyman

**** is real
    haha, bignic, i don't know that i'm going to pass algebraII though...i hate the teacher that i have and he seriously doesn't do grades by what you actually get in his class, he just gives you what he thinks you deserve. so last card marking, i didn't try, got a D on just about everything, and he gives me an F in the class, then tells me that there's no way that i can pass the semester, when obviously i could pass if i got like a C this card marking and a D on the final. he tells me now because i stayed for "help" one day that "since i'm putting fourth effort now, it's likely i can pass" wtf is that? lol i'm the only person that will get 4 A's, an A+ in english, a B, and an F

anyway, i talked to the school and they said basically all the classes i want/need to take start this month but i have til thursday to get into the classes. only problem is one of the fundamental classes i want/need to take for the rest of my classes starts at 9am-11am i believe, which isn't going to work because i have highschool til june 12th (i think). hopefully i can get into the other classes w/o taking this class (if it's a requirement) because that will highly limit what classes i can take. damn it.
    5ft 8in
    149 lbs
    8.0% bf