The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Powerlifting meet!

I manage a gym and am looking at putting on a Bench Press Competition in August. I need some sort of direction though. How much are typical entry fees, prize money(if any)? Do I need a certified judge? What other kind of regulations are there that I need to know about? I'm looking at doing it in the parking lot under a tent so we can get a lot more spectators. Is this a bad idea considering I live in NC and it can get to be about 100 degrees on any given day and extremely humid. Or is it okay as long as we have large fans blowing under the tent? I noticed there are a lot of weight classes for men and women. Do most competitions use all the weightclasses? Or do some just do percentage of bodyweight to make it easier and more competitive? Any help is appreciated.
    thanks,
    jonj
    Bench=405
    Deadlift=600
    Curls=You don't even wanna know!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'd suggest calling the state chairperson for one of the powerlifting feds in your state for guidance, as the fees and requirements vary.

If you want it sanctioned, you'll need qualified judges (3), and you'll need to be registered to promote meets for whatever federation it is. If you are using a drug free federation, you'll have to have the facilities to collect samples for testing (and supervise the collection). The vast majority of competitions use pretty much all of the weight classes and other specifications (Masters, Juniors, etc.)

Typical entry fees for a sanctioned meet are $30 to $50 for each lifter, give or take. Most don't have prize money, the fees go to run the meet, buy some trophies and a t-shirt for each lifter, food for the spotters/loaders/judges, etc.

I would not do it outside in the summer.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I'll second everything that paul said.

The absolute best thing though would be to talk to a meet director. Someone that has ran a meet before(the more experiance the better)
    There is a TON of info you will need to gather. A fella i know is running a meet this weekend, has been competing for ~10years, has lots of help, and is Amzed at how much work needs to done
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Wannabebig Member
    Any idea how to get a hold of a state chairperson? How much do judges usually cost?
    Bench=405
    Deadlift=600

Many federations

There are a lot of federations (USAPL, USPF, APF, APA, WABDL, SLP, NASA, etc...). I don't know which are the most active in your state, but you can probably get a hold of a lot of them through other forums or their homepages. Check this forum for links: http://p083.ezboard.com/fmoosecallfrm23

Tent meets suck in the summer heat. I guess if it's just a bench meet, it shouldn't be so bad, but make sure you have adequate places to warm-up, seating, shade, water for competitors, etc...

edit: I would say most meets (push, push/pull, full) usually cost between $20-$40. Single-lift meets tend to cost less than full meets.
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-04-2005 at 05:44 PM. Reason: added text

I have run, co-run and officiated at many meets, first of all, consider having your meet in conjunction with some type of other public event-towns are are always having shows, food festivals, etc. Have the contest at that event and you have an automatic crowd. I echo what the guys said about going to a contest in your area and seeing how it is done. Start somewhat small, and work your way up-nothing wrong at all with having a "Club Meet", ie one that is not sanctioned. Talk with your local rotary club and see if they want to tie in some sort of charity into the event-use it as a fundraise. Try to have high school division and contact your local coaches.

last but not least, I am less than three hours away-I will come up and help you out in whatever way you need.

keith

Wannabebig Member
    Okay, thanks a lot guys. Those are all good suggestions. I especially like the high school division since I coach at a local high school and know a lot of high school kids that would love to compete just as long as the entry fees weren't too much. I'm thinking $30 is reasonable. I'm also kind of leaning toward a non-sanctioned meet but with the same rules, just no sanctioned jugde.

So are bodyweight % meets frowned upon? I'm just afraid of not being able to get many people in all the weight classes. Until now, I didn't realize that there were so many weight classes. I thought there were only 5, like bodybuilding, which is what I do. Powerlifting is relatively new to me.
    thanks for the advice,
    jonj
    Bench=405
    Deadlift=600

Give out Medals not trophies, they will last longer and are cheape, trust me-I have about 100 trophies in garage and 80% are broken, etc. I have about 50 medals on the wall and they are all in-tact. This will also reduce your entry fees and overhead.

Hey, I live in Greensboro (NC) and if you have the meet I will probably come down with a friend or 2. I've never competed before, but this sounds like a good time to start.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 05-05-2005 at 11:44 AM.

Banned
    Well bro...personally I've never competed but I wanna really bad...anyway I would like to say...you really don't need judges unless someone there is looking to set a new record for their BW but I doubt it...have a friendly meet between buds in the same gym...easy enough and 10-15 entree...and whatever cash is left over...keep it...or make 1st of every weightclass get some cash...personally I would love it even if it was 5 bucks because you are walking away with more than just that 5 bucks...you leave with your head held high and respect...which is more important to some people

If you give cash to those who compete in other sports, ie, high school kids, you risk them losing their amateur status for other sports.