The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible?

Banned

Is it possible?

Is it possible to have a 39.9% bodyfat? Because this kid told me he had a 39.9% BF level...I was like "...Oh my god..." I wouldnt doubt it I slaped him hand once and well let me put it this way...He eats 3 cheeseburgers and an order of fries everyday for lunch so hes like all fat...Just curious if it were possible

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yes very possible, Some people have BF% as high as 50%
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Yup Yup

I can attest to the fact that some people can get over 50% bf. Having just finished training to be a personal trainer, and then quiting the program because of the sales crap they want thier people to do, I have seen and trained some women with over 50% bf.

For many of these people the gym I was training at could not even use the calipers/computer program we had up and running because they were so out of shape and off the standard bell curve. We had to go old school and use circumfrience measures to get the %. One lady I trained was around 54% BF, pretty scarry really. You would be suprised how many of the chronicly grossly obiese people you see everyday are close to these %'s. And it is only getting worse really. Some of the people gyms see with 35% + bf are ones that actually work out regularly, but they have no concept of calorie intake vs calorie expendature and so they never lose weight.

Being one of those people that started at about 30% bf well 29 to be exact Its really not that hard to get down. Ive been eating healthier and weight training for 4 weeks now with some mild cardio and got down to 23% BF fairly easily. I dont know what maintance calories are on someone whos 54% BF but It has to be somewere around the 6000-7000 mark, Even If you eat McDonalds 3 times a day your shouldnt be getting that many calories.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Holywars, that's great about your progress. You must be feeling stoked.

Not to take any of your success away, I think you'd be surprised by how little it can take to maintain a fat, inactive, middle-aged body, though, ESPECIALLY if you're female (we have so much less muscle mass).

I started out at 170 lbs (and squishy), and I think my maint cals were about 1600 at the time.

I'm 136 lbs or so right now, and CUTTING on 1900-2000.

Building muscle really helps.

(So does youth, and being male. )

All kidding aside, keep up the good work, bud.

Thanks, I always thought you needed muscles to move around 300lbs of fat

And stoked I am.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Banned
    LOL! Built "I was 170 and squishy" HAHAHHAA sorry that hit me very hard and made me laugh like hell

Do that voodoo that he do
    Quote Originally Posted by XxH0LyWaRsxX
    Thanks, I always thought you needed muscles to move around 300lbs of fat

And stoked I am.
    Well, they don't tend to move it around too much.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

True that.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Wouldn't you think it's time to change your eating habits when half your body is fat?
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    yes, but most are either lazy or believe they are past the point of no return and fall into a spiral of helplessness. others are just ignorant on what to do, and/or dont think they're that big. Denial is big.

I started at 36% bf 1.5 years ago. I'm at 18% now.
    Last edited by crazedwombat; 05-11-2005 at 06:00 AM.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

I started at 36% bf 1.5 years ago. I'm at 18% now.
    Kudos to you, bro. That's great.

I was 30% last summer
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by Ironminded
    And it is only getting worse really. Some of the people gyms see with 35% + bf are ones that actually work out regularly, but they have no concept of calorie intake vs calorie expendature and so they never lose weight.
    Wow that sucks. I feel very fortunate to have found this website and learned about calories and stuff. It sucks to work out hard and eat good foods and not lose weight.

Dedicated-
    I have to say that for most people there is just no concept that the body is a dynamic system that obeys the laws of physics. If the Calories/energy in>>Calories/energy out then your getting fatter no matter how hard you run on the gerbil wheel. Now if you are lifting thats a different story and hopefully you are building muscle instead of lots of extra fat, but the law of thermodynamics still stands, that energy has to go somewhere.

Just think about all the 35+ year olds you see at the gym everyday on the treadmill who never get any slimer, they just don't get that if they eat a ton they have to burn off more then they eat to lose wieght.
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace

They also don't get that you can't cardio it off, and that weightlifting won't make you huge. Poor souls. I used to be one of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    They also don't get that you can't cardio it off, and that weightlifting won't make you huge. Poor souls. I used to be one of 'em.
    A lot of women I know don't work out because they think it'll make them look like those roid chics...which simply isn't true. It's just another one of a million excuses.

I don't think it's an excuse. If you don't know that this can't happen naturally, it's a real concern. I remember thinking that way.

What TOTALLY cracks me up is listening to some huge fat woman looking at a 'roid chick and saying "Oh, that's too big for a girl."

I mean, if those were your only two choices, which one would you pick?

What TOTALLY cracks me up is listening to some huge fat woman looking at a 'roid chick and saying "Oh, that's too big for a girl."
    I see that all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by XxH0LyWaRsxX
    I dont know what maintance calories are on someone whos 54% BF but It has to be somewere around the 6000-7000 mark, Even If you eat McDonalds 3 times a day your shouldnt be getting that many calories.
    Actually, if you ate McDonalds, or any fast, 3 times a day, you could very easily hit 6000-7000 calories. That explains why so many people are so fat, because that's all they eat.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    Actually, if you ate McDonalds, or any fast, 3 times a day, you could very easily hit 6000-7000 calories. That explains why so many people are so fat, because that's all they eat.
    Yep...fast food is the bane of my existance...I was about 33% once....I've been everywhere in between since...got down to 7% once. I haven't let it get higher than 25% though...right now my guess is 20% and getting lower.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

They use MSG and HGH, as well as assorted taste additives in their fries to make them taste "better". In fact, I doubt if there is much potato left in them after they're done frying them.

Built, read the book "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser. A good read.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Guido-
    FFN is more about the buisness practices of the Fast food industry then the health detriments of eating thier food. If you want something to scare you away from Fast food, as if any of us need it, go watch 'Supersize Me' as has already been suggested. The things that happen to that guys body over the course of a month are just scarry.

Also, Built, I for the most part agree with you about chicks not knowing there are other options, and so it is not an excuse per se. However, I have talked with a lot of chicks/women [don't want to offend anyone], and tried to educate them that there are other things they should be doing, and other options rather then the fatty fatness they currently are, or the 'roided freak they are worried about becoming. A lot of times women just don't listen, or they listen but don't internalize what they hear. I don't know why, but I suspect they think that guys only know about what lifting does to the male body, and that these women who have absolutly no clue about anatomy, diet, or anything relating to fitness or general health, think they know better then the guys who workout what works for thier female bodies.

I think that people like you, especially considering the re-god-damn-diculous turn around you have made, and Gitfit are in the best position to educate these women, cause they just don't seem to listen to what many guys are trying to tell them.

I don't know, this is just from my personal experience, and could be way off base. However, this is what I have seen so, correct me in my ways of error if you can please.
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace

Ironminded, I think you nailed it. Many women don't realize that the same training that gives a man his body, with the appropriate diet gave me MY body. And with the plethora of wrong information out there, how can they think otherwise? I've been in this situation. The only thing that gets hammered in is "more cardio, less fat". Sure, it doesn't work, but it's the stuff the "experts" tell you.

People like me and you - what do WE know?

The problem I have now is that these same women look at me and think I've never had a weight problem.

Now, while it is nice to know that I've done so well I no longer look like the fatty I was, it makes it hard to convince them that I got this way BECAUSE of what I do.

Dammit, how I wish I had "before" pix...