Thread: concept2 rower UK

Wannabebig Member

concept2 rower UK

Been check out on rowers, and came across a advert in a mag for the concept2 rower.
    The retail price of this 985 (english pounds), which is a bit on the high side for a home user.
    Looking futher into this i found out you can hire them from 10 a month,
    from them.

Hardcore
    Best Cardio machine you will ever use. There isn't anything better than this. If you are serious about using it, price really shouldn't be much of an option.
    "I workout to music that makes me want to stomp on baby kittens." -David "Kick Ass" Davis

"The intended manipulation of mechanical work applied in order to stimulate a specific metabolic response."
    -Dr. Ben Bocchocchio on the Definition of Exercise

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Real TO
    Best Cardio machine you will ever use. There isn't anything better than this. If you are serious about using it, price really shouldn't be much of an option.
    Cardio = Bringing your heart rate up to a certain level and keeping it there.
    Rowing = One form of doing this.

There is no "better" machine for cardiovascular purposes. Now if we're talking about other aspects such as pressure on the knees and ankles, than yes Rowing might be a better alternative to the treadmill. But explain to me how it's better than an elliptical or stair climber.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

It's better because it's basically full body, very efficient, safe, compact, no impact.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Does the 985 include VAT and shipping charges? Just curious.

Concept is a great rower; if machine rowing at home is something you think you will do for the next 8 years, then you're breaking even on the buy. Otherwise, you might want to think about renting.
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male."

My attempts at lifting heavy objects

Current maxes:

Squat 145 kg (320 lbs)
    Bench 67.5 kg (149 lbs)
    DL: 142.5 kg (314 lbs)

...oh, and I'm a girl.

Hardcore
    It is the most intense cardio workout you will ever do. Treadmills, and ellipticals are for people that feel the need to damage their knees, and hurt themselves. The row machine is a lot safer, and it is a lot harder. For any workout that you do on the row machine, you will have to double your effort on another piece of cardio equipment. Example 20 minutes on row machine= 40 minutes on treadmill/elliptical.

Stair climbers, I think, are a little bit better than treadmills/ellipticals. They do take pressure off of your knees a little better, but I never really considered climbing stairs to be actual exercise. That's just me though.

Do what cardio works for you. But as far as the best, the ROW MACHINE is #1. Why do you think you never see any Row Machine's in gyms anymore? Because they are too freakin hard.
    "I workout to music that makes me want to stomp on baby kittens." -David "Kick Ass" Davis

"The intended manipulation of mechanical work applied in order to stimulate a specific metabolic response."

Of course, I should have paraphrased my statement that I think it's insane to pay for a cardio machine when you can just got run outside.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Disciple#1
    Quote Originally Posted by coffinhenry
    Been check out on rowers, and came across a advert in a mag for the concept2 rower.
    The retail price of this 985 (english pounds), which is a bit on the high side for a home user.
    Looking futher into this i found out you can hire them from 10 a month,
    from them.
    Were is it your hiring from? Could do with one of those tbh.
    You never know what you can do, until you try to do more than you can.

It is the most intense cardio workout you will ever do. Treadmills, and ellipticals are for people that feel the need to damage their knees, and hurt themselves. The row machine is a lot safer, and it is a lot harder. For any workout that you do on the row machine, you will have to double your effort on another piece of cardio equipment. Example 20 minutes on row machine= 40 minutes on treadmill/elliptical.

Stair climbers, I think, are a little bit better than treadmills/ellipticals. They do take pressure off of your knees a little better, but I never really considered climbing stairs to be actual exercise. That's just me though.

Do what cardio works for you. But as far as the best, the ROW MACHINE is #1. Why do you think you never see any Row Machine's in gyms anymore? Because they are too freakin hard.
    1) How are ellipticals hard on the knees?

2) Saying 20 mins on a row machine = 40 mins on a treadmill is freakin ridiculous. That depends solely on speed and intensity; I can make 20 minutes on the treadmill just as intense as 20 mins on the row machine

3)The whole point of cardiovascular exercise is to bring your heart rate up. If the stair climber does this, how is it not actual exercise?

4) Rowing machines aren't seen in gyms because most people simply wont use it due to the treadmill/stairclimber/elliptical fad.

Only thing worth noting in this thread that makes the row machine superior the the elliptical or stair climber is that it's a full body workout.

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Hardcore
    1) I'll give you a gift here, and I'll agree with you that elliptical's aren't as hard on the knees as treadmills, but the problem that I have with elliptical's is that your range of motion is limited when you move. It doesn't fell like a natural motion when you are using these machines. Sure it works, but it isn't ideal.

2) There is no way you can make 20 minutes on the treadmill equal to or better than 20 minutes on the row. If you are going to talk about intensity, and speed, than that's a whole different topic. But cardio is supposed to be all out, intense as you can make it, brief as in under 30 minutes, and safe. Cardio isn't supposed to be someone taking a nice walk let's say 4 mph for example, for 45 minutes. If that is what you think cardio is than keep using your treadmills and ellipticals, and leave the row machine for the people who want to change their bodies. And there is no way you can make a treadmill as safe as a row machine, and still get a kick ass workout. NO WAY.

3) I was giving you my take on exercise and cardio. If you don't agree with it, IGNORE THE POST. MY PERSONAL OPINION HERE, I don't know how else to say it. I don't like climbing stairs, so I don't chose to do a machine that mimics climbing stairs.

4) If that's the case, than that's sad. But for the most part even if they were in the gym people wouldn't use them because they are too intense. Go on and keep using your elliptical and other cardio crap, and stop giving excuses why people don't row. If you want a great workout row. Simple. It's effective, safe, and efficient.

5) Something for you to ponder. If you see a Row Machine in the gym, and if you see some dust on it just leave it for the people who know how to use it. I guess it is good that most people don't use it, so there is less chance of someone breaking it, so there is more time for me on there.

I hear you decided to hire it out. Not bad for 10, esp when split with others.
    Last edited by J450n; 05-04-2005 at 11:36 AM.
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

1) I'll give you a gift here, and I'll agree with you that elliptical's aren't as hard on the knees as treadmills, but the problem that I have with elliptical's is that your range of motion is limited when you move. It doesn't fell like a natural motion when you are using these machines. Sure it works, but it isn't ideal.
    Must be your machine, it feels fine for me.

2) There is no way you can make 20 minutes on the treadmill equal to or better than 20 minutes on the row. If you are going to talk about intensity, and speed, than that's a whole different topic. But cardio is supposed to be all out, intense as you can make it, brief as in under 30 minutes, and safe. Cardio isn't supposed to be someone taking a nice walk let's say 4 mph for example, for 45 minutes. If that is what you think cardio is than keep using your treadmills and ellipticals, and leave the row machine for the people who want to change their bodies. And there is no way you can make a treadmill as safe as a row machine, and still get a kick ass workout. NO WAY.
    Umm, jacking up the treadmill to 12 mph is just as intense if not more intense than the fastest I can go on a rower.

3) I was giving you my take on exercise and cardio. If you don't agree with it, IGNORE THE POST. MY PERSONAL OPINION HERE, I don't know how else to say it. I don't like climbing stairs, so I don't chose to do a machine that mimics climbing stairs.
    Perfectly fine. But you said "climbing stairs isnt an exercise" which is incorrect. And I prefer the rower over the stair climber.

4) If that's the case, than that's sad. But for the most part even if they were in the gym people wouldn't use them because they are too intense. Go on and keep using your elliptical and other cardio crap, and stop giving excuses why people don't row. If you want a great workout row. Simple. It's effective, safe, and efficient.
    Yeah it is. But people don't use it because they are ignorant to what it does; it has nothing to do with the intensity (which you can change and make it easier and/or get off earlier thus making it less intense).

5) Something for you to ponder. If you see a Row Machine in the gym, and if you see some dust on it just leave it for the people who know how to use it. I guess it is good that most people don't use it, so there is less chance of someone breaking it, so there is more time for me on there.
    How is this something for me to ponder? As I said I like the row machine, and it's very compact and hits your whole body. But for cardiovascular purposed, it's honestly no better nor safer than an elliptical.

Banned
    Buy second-hand. It'll be half the price and I personally prefer the model c to the model d ergos anyway. There is a good UK rowing site which advertises secondhand ergos but I can't remember the address (sorry!).

Search the internet or maybe go down to your local club and enquire there about purchasing an old one. They might give you some contacts anyway.

Best form of exercise there is. If you do it right!