The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

what's teh best way to isolate my upper chest?

haha now that i have your attention, i read something interesting about this in the newest muscle & fitness (i know i shouldn't be reading these mags, but we sell them where i work so it's hard to resist. usually a choice between those and a textbook). they were talking about targeting upper chest, of course i laughed to myself (yes, i have read *tons* of ridiculously drawn out threads here about this, pretty much all from one of the mods sigs). but they mentioned something about a study that found more recruitment in the upper chest based on grip position on the bar. I went to research this study, but due to my complete ignorance of science, i didn't get far. it was a study done at the university of queensland, australia. just wondering if anyone's heard of this study and knows what it really determined. (study is recent i believe)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

theres no upper and lower, its more of front (pectoralis major) and side (pectoralis minor). alot of people will deny that there are 2 muscles in the pectoral region, but they both exist. http://www.indexedvisuals.com/html/t...or-muscles.htm

there is also something called the pectobrachialis.
    as for your question, isolationg upper and lower chest isn't really possible because of what i showed you in that diagram, but the minor is isolated more when doing a decline press movement. hope this helps

with a scalpel and a trained surgical support team

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    My sister's in a course for becoming a PT in Queensland. Based on the stupid **** she has said in which they have taught her, I wouldn't use them as a reliable resource.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 05-05-2005 at 04:41 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Generally, those are EMG studies, which are virtually useless when used in this context.

When you are in the Mr Olympia, we'll talk about your upper chest.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I wonder just how much of this continuing drama is due to morons who don't know the difference between their chest and their anterior delts.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Viewing EMG's i've seen that upper chest exercises aren't very high on how many motor units are used in the chest. Actually decline dumbell press had the most units used in the chest out of all the exercises that were mentioned. They mentioned barbell, dumbells, flys, cables, dips, everything I could think of. Personally i've discovered decline has done the best for my chest.
    Last edited by waynis; 05-05-2005 at 05:32 PM.
    Never Giving In.

There is a compartmentalization phenomenon that occurs.

Does it matter to you if you're not at an elite level? No.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

very true powerman, just wanted to make sure he knew there were different muscles in the chest...since so many people argue the fact

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Has any one ever suggested an Upper/inner chest forum? If not; this is me suggesting it right now.
    Imagine the flamings!
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapump979

there is also something called the pectobrachialis.
    I'am curious about this.. ANy pictures you can show where this is or know what part of the chest it is?
    Last edited by waynis; 05-05-2005 at 08:09 PM.
    Never Giving In.

im sorry, the pectoantebrachialis doesnt exist in humans, my fault. i meant to say the serratus anterior. pectoantebrachialis, epitrochlearis and xiphihumeralis are feline muscles. sorry

riprogrammazione
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatred
    Has any one ever suggested an Upper/inner chest forum? If not; this is me suggesting it right now.
    Imagine the flamings!
    You know, I'm just a semi-lurker, but I just can't get used to this name change business. First big chasey-chase, and now this Hatred mess. Next thig you know, Paul Stagg's gonna be Aunt Jemima.

MACHINE
    He already is. To me, anyways.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Lol.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo
    You know, I'm just a semi-lurker, but I just can't get used to this name change business. First big chasey-chase, and now this Hatred mess. Next thig you know, Paul Stagg's gonna be Aunt Jemima.
    Sometimes there are stories behind the names and they are outgrown. I can;t speak for Chase but I didn't like the reminder.

If you don't like it you can lurk around my ass*hole. The weather's nice.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatred
    Sometimes there are stories behind the names and they are outgrown. I can;t speak for Chase but I didn't like the reminder.

If you don't like it you can lurk around my ass*hole. The weather's nice.
    Always giving out TMI.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapump979
    im sorry, the pectoantebrachialis doesnt exist in humans, my fault. i meant to say the serratus anterior. pectoantebrachialis, epitrochlearis and xiphihumeralis are feline muscles. sorry
    OHH ok.. haha but the serratus anterior covers the ribs. NOt part of the chest. YOU do hit it with chest presses though.
    Last edited by waynis; 05-07-2005 at 04:26 PM.
    Never Giving In.